Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
Hi, what was you ‘that’s it, I need to pivot’ story? This is not a Law Firm switching specific question but in general. Any moment that made you realise that you have to do something else and not what you have been doing.
Working in Capital Markets while I had the chance to get into M&A.
Was in my Fifth year, a my CV was full of disputes. The fear of making 25k a month, and living hand-to-mouth in a city like Delhi made me pivot to PE/VC. A year later, I don't regret it.
Always wanted to do law but parents were against it. They wanted me to be a doctor while I somehow had managed to get them to agree for engineering as I absolutely hated bio. Took up PCMB in class 11th. After a year, I had accepted that science was not for me. Tried googling for alternate career options. Got to know about CLAT (no one in my family had ever heard of this exam or NLUs). Parents agreed for CLAT after looking at the placements at top NLUs. Prepared for CLAT with zero coaching, cracked a T1 NLU. Today, when I look back, I find two reasons: i) I loved law and current affairs and I was somewhat good in English as well, ii) I really had no other option (I knew that I won't be able to crack JEE/NEET and my result in 12th would be bad as well)
Started working at a fairly renowned IP boutique straight out of college - thanks to a PPO. 6 months into the role, I was burnt out, exhausted, and "over it" [to put it simply]. The 'pivotal moment' was when I had slept at 3AM one night [I was working, obviously] and a Partner called me up at 7AM to extract a pleading from the TM Registry. For the uninitiated, this is done via an online portal, and barely takes 2-3 minutes. Then, I was asked to report to the TMO [2 hours away from where I lived] at 9.30AM sharp.

Moved to law firm branding and I cannot tell you how happy I am. I login at 10AM and get done around 6-7PM on 99.99% of the days. Pay isn't great, but at least I have my sanity.