Read 64 comments as:
Filter By
I joined a T1 law firm where the partner categorically told me buy clothes of brands like Ralph, Lacoste, Vanheusen and Raymonds at the least. On my first day I was not only gawked from top to bottom but was also advised to discard my "Liberty" shoes and purchase Red tape or some fancy Italian leather brand.

I carried a copper water bottle to office due to health reasons to which my SA said that we are not living in Indus Valley civilization and that "Milton is our friend". I thought he was referring to John Milton but realised it later.

I come from a humble background so these things came as a shocker and eyeopener to me. Imo law firms should disclose these petty things during their pre placement talks at Universities a/w list of brands that entitles me to a member of this elite clan.

So sad and disgusting
I too was told about similar things when I joined the firm. Spent 5 years there without doing any of that. Didn't affect my promotions or relationship with clients at all on any discernible level. Don't let the coterie get to you.
Have you been made PA yet, or does it look like you'll be warming the SA benches for a while? Maybe that's where you need to learn to play the game.
I made SA in 4 years. Quit in my 5th year and happily practising now.
The peer pressure to splurge on a very expensive watch post hitting SA is insane, I am sure a lot of T1 peers can relate.
What's a good starter watch, for an SA? What do you guys see folks buying?
Victorinox, Frederique Constant, Casio and Grand Seiko. You can upgrade to Omega, Rolex, Carl FB and what not post Counsel levels.
canary wharf mein nahi hai office. okhla mein hee hai, uska kya karega? paani ki bottle to aajaegi blinkit se
I don't think this is the same situation as OP. You might have a secret admirer hmm
Maybe he was hired as Lux Cozy wanted to advertise their products in corporate circle. Eventually he got lucky when the partner and his peers noticed the brand. The guy justified the "apna luck pehanke chalo" campaign
I don't care whatever it is. Just because you have resources to buy expensive stuff doesn't mean that you will mock everyone who doesn't. India is a poor country. Go and mock everyone then
Even if it is, this kind of behavior is absolutely demeaning. How can you make fun of somebody by his clothes of particular brand or appearances. Very insensitive
No respectable partner would put Van Heusen in the same sentence with Ralph or Lacoste
I was once told, how the length of my skirt has a direct inverse relationship with the revenues of the partner.
now that partner shops for me and give me dresses to wear to office.
Sorry, but I agree with the partner 100%. When you earn 1.5 lakhs a month, meet with top corporate clients, attend arbitrations at the Taj etc, you need to dress the part. You are an ambassador for the firm and part of their brand image. Don’t be so miserly!

Also, for your own good, wearing top brands will make you look smarter and give you a lot of self-confidence. My classmate from an NLU was a nerd and used to dress like a tramp in college (torn, shabby clothes). No girl looked at him. He had low self-esteem as a result. He joined a T1, splurged on top brands and bought an Audi in his second year of work. He is now dating a stunning airhostess. Absolutely true story.
Dressing good doesn't mean to go for specific and iconic brands. As far as you are presentable it doesn't matter what brands you wear. You are a lawyer not an actor/model for god's sake
Not disgusting at all. In the corporate world you must look sharp. The partner also has a good sense of humour. Indus Valley. LOL!
Bruh if you want to cook up stories, do a better one. "I was told to dump my Liberty shoes in favour of red tape".
half of stem log make 3lpa at tcs, so they cant afford brands, go to Sarojini
So, it goes like that, once a new client which my partner was poaching for some time now, but client being uninterested and busy, my partner asked me to accompany him to a club and "ease things towards" firm favour.

No treat for guessing what happened next
that doesnt sound consensual, when are you leaving this firm, and please name drop
Don’t cap man. If Red tape shoes are the pinnacle of what is fancy then god bless us
Ralph lauren and Lacoste, only these two brands you mentioned have got some swag, Raymond is decent, the rest is shite, and actually ralph lauren has got a different label called purple label which is much above lacoste,
Baaki sab theek hai..but Liberty is kuch premium brand than red tape lol
I happily admit to judging people by the brands they wear. If a lawyer who earns well yet looks shabby and wears cheap watches and perfumes, I would not be impressed by that person.
That's fine but you should keep this parochial thinking to yourself but radiating and imposing these thoughts on others is bad
That's your call and loss as a client. You may miss out on a good lawyer that way. People who have addiction to brands will also try to milk you as much as possible, since you have to pay for their addiction.
I was also reprimanded by a female Partner for wearing pushup bras in the office. Although I dressed v formally
A 7-word comment posted 8 months ago was not published.
A 1-word comment posted 8 months ago was not published.
Dear Mod, Edit the above comment as follows:

Maybe he was hired as Lux Cozy wanted to advertise their products in corporate circle. Eventually he got lucky when the partner and his peers noticed the brand. The guy justified the "apna luck pehanke chalo" campaign
A 3-word comment posted 7 months ago was not published.
A 7-word comment posted 7 months ago was not published.
A 15-word comment posted 7 months ago was not published.
A 16-word comment posted 7 months ago was not published.
A 17-word comment posted 7 months ago was not published.