Read 3 comments as:
Filter By
Hi, I just finished my UG in English Hons from a Local Uni in West Bengal. Right now, I have 2 ways forward - 1) My parents, peers and well wishers wanted me to prep for Govt Exams(PSU Bank Exams) and get a job in next 2-3 years. 2) I have applied to a local uni for LLB and I am sure that I will get there. So, law is another option.

P. S. - I don't have a financially well off family & I don't have a connection/network in the legal profession.

Personally, I am completely clueless on what kind of professional career I wanna to make. I literally don't know what I really wanna do.

Would be very happy if you give your valuable 2 cents to resolve my dilemma.
If you can elaborate a bit about what you do like or don't like (such as writing, debating, speaking in public etc.), as well as any other strengths and weaknesses that you have, then it may be easier for people who are willing to help to do so. If it is a 3-Year LLB that you wish to do from Bengal, then try to do from Burdwan University or North Bengal University, instead of any local law college. While these are not great places, they have been offering the programme for long and do have some good alumni and faculty whom you can seek career advice from. If you can spare the fund to go outside Bengal, then DU is obviously the best possible choice. While studying, you can generally focus on examination-based career options, like judiciary examination or even the state/central civil services. Use your vacations to intern at smaller firms, who may be more amenable to accepting 3-Year law students as interns. You can also try to write the CLAT PG examination at the end of 3-Years, since some of the PSUs still shortlist for interviews based on that. Given that you have an UG degree in English, you can try your hands with content-writing during these 3-years to make some extra money. Hope this helps. I know a few people who have been in positions similar to you and the hardworking ones who could maintain focus have turned out to be quite successful by now. So, best of luck and chin up!
Thanks a lot. Your insights is very helpful.

Now, as you asked about my interests, likings, strengths & weaknesses. Let me start with interests first. I have a very kin interest in subjects like economics, finance (although I don't very much like numbers), business and management in general. Earlier I had prepped for MBA exams but couldn't get into a top mba program. Apart from this, I like reading content on politics, constitution, environment, climate change, business & management, social issues etc.

Secondly, talking about my strengths, I feel I can learn new things easily if it's more of an theory based. I don't like analytical or application based things very much. I am very curious about almost everything.

Thirdly, talking about my weaknesses, I have stage fright, I can't do public speaking. I never have done any debating, oratory, recitation of any sorts in my entire life. I am a introvert and I have spent my whole only watching lots of things, reading few stuffs and daydreaming about many things.

I did English Hons as I only had this option available to me in 2020 thanks to the pandemic.

Now, I am looking for a profession through which I can work for the greater common good of the people, animals and the earth at the same time earning a decent amount and having a comfortable life with all the basic necessities. And I want to do something that will make me to get out of my comfort zone. I feel law ticks off all these.

Govt job in the banking sector is a comfort zone for me. It will provide me a good life for sure but I am not whether it will make me happy and satisfied in the long run.