Read 16 comments as:
Filter By
Rajiv Luthra was the man that singlehandedly ran Luthra for three decades, apart from Mohit Saraf.

Who runs Lutthra now? What's the succession plan for the firm. Unlike in Amarchand/traditional law firms, Rajiv doesn't have kids/family members who are old enough to run a law firm.

How's the partnership being held - has there been a division in the equity?

What's the future plans?

As an employee how do you feel working in Luthra now?

Also, surprisingly - the firm is still punching despite all the issues it faced. Should this whole phase be a case study for other professional Organisations ran by a single founder.
The executive committee runs the firm. In my view, what is working for the firm is it's Partners. Almost all its partners at Mumbai office are rainmakers. Be it Jay Parikh, Nishant Singh, Sudipta, Piyush, etc.. these partners have been some magnificent work and that's what has kept luthra in T1 space.. if it goes on to increase the pay it'll go very far
It was clear at RKL's prayer meeting that Advait will run the firm. Need a "Luthra" at the helm. Much better than some of the equity partners who are drunk most of the time!
It could be better for sure but certainly not in shambles that people feared. It's holding together and just another testament to the loyalty Rajiv commands from the grave as well - many who would want it continue thriving. Its the kind of loyalty you cant buy and that will go a long way in keeping the legacy of Rajiv alive and kicking. Won't be surprised if it comes back stronger in a couple of years.
Advait Luthra, nephew of Rajiv K Luthra joined as A0 in 2022. After Rajiv's death, he has been promoted directly to partnership and is the successor. Though, it's just โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ promotion and should have been avoided as 25 year old can't become partner anywhere else.
He did law really late, there was a lot of time between his graduation from a foreign college for undergrad. Typical nepo kid
Oh man. How terrible it must be for the poor guy - at the helm of an empire at such a young age, and essentially without any practical experience. Would it be like Akbar, Joffrey, or Tommen? In all sincerity, I hope not Tommen.
I believe that after Rajivโ€™s passing, the firm is being managed by an EC (which was constituted by Rajiv) - https://luthra.com/executive-committee/

Dealt with quite a few of the EC Member at L&L and outside โ€“ Karan, Piyush, Avirup, Nishant and they are solid partners. Not sure if the EC members are equity partners.

Advait has to hold the Rajivโ€™s equity, as he is the only lawyer in the family โ€“ I donโ€™t think he is running the firm.

From what I hear, there is a process on for coming up with a revamped governance and equity structure.

I think it is good for the firm โ€“ they are moving from one rainmaker, to multiple revenue generating partners.
But there are a few questions -

1. Won't Rajiv's equity share be diluted? Because after Rajiv (unlike in SAM/CAM) there is no tight family control. Advait is just a single person, that too without any significant experience.

Won't the other partners run away if the same equity is given to one person in this manner.

2. If Rajiv's equity is vested in Advait. How would at a later point of time - the same share can go to Rajiv's kids?

Also, Luthra as a firm surviving is a big deal. Many expected the firm to go down.