Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
Hello everyone,

I'll soon be joining a prestigious law firm in their Capital Markets team. As I prepare for this new chapter in my career, I want to make sure I'm as well-prepared as possible with a strong understanding of the fundamental and intricate aspects of this field.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance on what I should read, learn, or study to familiarize myself with the nuances, laws, and regulations of securities law. Whether it's basic or advanced material, I'm eager to delve into any resources that will enhance my knowledge in this area. If there are specific courses or books that you highly recommend, I would be immensely grateful to receive those suggestions as well.

I'm open to any recommendations, whether they come from your personal experience or authoritative sources.

Thank you all.
On what basis did this prestigious law firm hire you for their Capital Markets team if you have no basic knowledge of the regulations involved and the understanding of the work?

I think the answer is that you are probably from a good NLU and got hired on Day zero due to your credentials.

So many students who have actually done Cap Marks work, are knowledgable, and might be interested in the field don't get the opportunity because law firms in India are too lazy to actually evaluate talents and train them. It's actually their loss because they lose out on all these talents that exist outside the top few NLUs. It is not your fault at all, just so we are clear. We are just a part of a broken system. The law firms are to be blamed for their biased, lazy recruitment. India has lots of sharp legal minds who don't get access to the best opportunities in order to polish themselves and shine.

As for doing capital markets work, you should just switch to an M&A team in the firm. They will teach you the cap marks work anyway, incase you can't switch. It's dull and boring.
If you have nothing productive to contribute please refrain from giving a general commentary.
Absolutely true. I have come across so many non nlu interns who are much brighter than nlu A0 campus hires in my team.
Hi, from what I’ve been doing - read up ICDR end to end, keep reading re-reading until you are familiar with the requirements (schedule VI). Grab any good draft of a DRHP and go through what the chapters are - correspond them to the provisions in the companies act and familiarise yourself with them. There are no specific courses or anything that will teach you substance. Just the bare regulations and companies act are important.

Also on the side understand how the primary market works - how an IPO takes place, what do all the different terms mean when it comes to listing, and subsequently trading.

Also get a hold of different agreements - offer agreement, SHA - understand what all rights the shareholders have to forego when a company goes public.