Read 12 comments as:
Filter By
I have been seeing comments from a lot of drop year students in every thread (1st - 2nd drop , rarely 3rd) asking whether year gaps will affect their chances of a good settled life beyond law school ( for placements , TCs and llms) . My answer is that it will depend on how one utilises their drop years . If it’s meant for publications or internships- then ur profile is still rock solid . One does not need to worry about it. At the same time if u kept on preparing for competitive entrances along with college - then that’s also perfectly fine . Let’s say u are in a C-grade college and u wanna change to a T-1 NLU , then no explanation is required in ur part . However if you are looking to switch from a Tier- 2 NLU to a Tier-1 NLU / from symbi to Tier-1 NLU / from JGLS - you gotta explain to your employers why exactly you did that . You must be really passionate anyway for doing that .

My advice is that don’t take a full drop.

Also attempt clat till the age of 20. If you are still within the age range of (19-20) , then sit for this December’s exam. Beyond 20 is something I won’t suggest . It’s time you rethink your options (although I saw tons of students around the age of 21-22 in tier 1 nlu , it’s something which I wouldn’t suggest) .

I am not self appointed messiah , but being a fellow 2 year dropper myself , I understand where y’all come from . Focus on good grades in college .
Random advice with some random presumptions. I wonder if you even went to or graduated from a tier-1 NLU and got a tier-1 law firm job. 2 year dropper means you have written the CLAT 3 times and are probably still in law school since the age change happened in 2017 only.

First, no law firm employer cares for your age unless you’re say 26-27 years when you are graduating. And even then, they might ask you why only to clarify and not to judge. Getting a tier-1 NLU is no sure shot for most folks and employers understand this. They focus on your technical knowledge of the law for the practice area that you are applying for.

And you don’t have to do anything during your drop year to make good use of the time. Just focus on the competitive exam (CLAT/AILET) and make sure you get through a good NLU. It will NOT affect your chances of getting scholarships or internships, etc, within the college. Even the London firms hardly care for your age unless there’s some glaring issue. And London firms are usually only got by a few toppers in every tier-1 NLU batch so don’t put that as your benchmark just yet.
Your idea is only constricted to law firms. I have seen 3 year droppers who gave clat but they were within the age of 20 (cause they graduated high school around 17). This is fine . Giving clat beyond 20 can only help you in law firms . What if someone wants to consult mba or give CAT . Graduating at 24.5-25 is fine , but graduating at 26-27 will dampen your possibilities in M-7 business schools and FAANG companies . Not trying to be negative here , but give me some examples who started law degree at 22 and went to good business schools later on. Keep on trying for clat till 20. After that continue with your BA degree or join a course .

Also OP seems novice about employment , but he is right about utilising the drop years , so Jo worries
So a person will just keep on preparing for clat/ailet without justifying their CV at all ? What are you smoking?
Life is not only made of AZB or SAM. You have to compete with every stream . Waha peh age matters lol. Graduating at 25 still gives u time to enhance your prospects . 27 is too old. The OP might be still a law student here but he has more maturity than you have lmao (also are you even from a top 10) ?
Looks like this is OP’s comment only since they seem to use a space between punctuation marks. If you were actually at a top NLU you’d know how to type grammatically well courtesy of all the projects, moot memos, etc, that one has to prepare there. Clearly, you’re the one doling out wrong advice with next to zero experience.

Tell me, what will a dropper make “good use” of his time for during a drop year? What kind of actually useful internships will a teenager with no academic knowledge or research experience be even good for? Drop years in India aren’t like drop years in the West where people spend time interning or travelling for some social work. Here, it’s only for clearing a competitive entrance exam. So stop giving out wrong advice. I dropped a year for my tier-1 NLU and did pretty well after getting in there.

And if your aim is GMAT and FAANG companies (who hardly have a presence in India as far as lawyers go), maybe you should ask yourself why law? If you need 3-4 tries to crack CLAT, an M7 B-school is way harder and you probably won’t stand a chance of getting in anyway. But even then, the average age of MBA students in the US is around 29-30 (with 3-4 years of work experience) if not more, so no, graduating at 26 instead of 25 won’t make a a difference if you work hard enough and have experience.
True but sometimes drop years take place due to certain mishaps . For instance I took 3-4 attempts only and my first two attempts went in drain - one due to health reason in the first and second due to OMR.
I understand your point where you mentioned about drop years in west and India are way different. And maybe that’s why we get a lot of sympathy in our applications as well for clearing the exam in more than 1-2 attempts. But you are completely wrong in the part where a person taking 3-4 attempts for clat will face more hardships during gmat prep or exam. A 2 hour exam may not be favourable for any candidate at times. I have seen my batchmates taking 2 year drops (sometimes 3) and acing their college level exams (including a gold medal-a senior I knew). A lot of clat droppers have qualified for UPSC and they even crack Gmat just fine.

The OP gave wrong advice on how people beyond 20 shouldn’t give clat. You balanced that with the above mentioned point lol.
Being a dropper myself, I understand the circumstances, situations and self conflict one has to go through sometimes in facing this exam. It's not all flowers and rainbows as some make it seem. It is completely okay if you are a 1,2 or 3 year dropper if it something you're really passionate about and care to achieve. The gap years will teach you a lot, building a resume and interning is not something we have the resources or the best insight to look at this stage in life. So it is totally fine to be a dropper. You are doing great and you will fare well.