Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
Hi guys, please help your girl out!

I am in my final year from a Non NLU law school, and am a resident of Delhi, willing to practice here itself. From whatever little experience I’ve gathered over these 5 years, doing internships etc., I strongly feel that I want to grow my career in litigation, it’s almost as if it’s my passion (apologies but my ADHD brain doesn’t let me settle with one “passion” haha), BUT at the same time I have an opportunity to join Trilegal (hopefully in their dispute resolution team), and we all know how well they pay.

Now it is important that you know that my parents are separated and I stay with my mum, even though she is working, she doesn’t keep well and I will virtually be the sole earner for 3 people, including myself and my 2 dogs.

I know this for sure that what I really want to pursue is litigation.

I need help from you guys to help me with this dilemma. What should I go ahead with, litigation or a Law Firm job?
Take the law firm job, stay there for around 2 years, save as much as possible then move to litigation.
If there is not any financial constraints, u should opt for litigation, "SKY IS THE LIMIT", Otherwise its upon ur discretion!!
Litigation can be fatal if :-

1. You are not financially strong even before you start. It is called a noble profession - only nobilities (big families) can survive and thrive. It has a long gestation period of learning and maintain clientele. If you need to ask this question then the answer is 'No'.

2. Your Daddy/Uncle have 15-20 cases in your diary on your first day and is ready to support you and give you appearances in court.

But even in absence of these two conditions you can definitely litigate but you will rethink your career choices after a few years down the road.

So, here's what I can suggest -

1. Join a law firm and build your savings , contacts and connect with peers who are litigating in your niche area
2. After say, 10-12 years when you become financially secure you can then start litigating
Honourable Ex-CJI NV Ramana was 1st gen. Lawyer ,so think twice,thrice before u speak something
Not a lawyer for long now, was he, given that he became the CJI? Probably spent a majority of his career as a judge, and wasn't very successful as a lawyer to begin with (otherwise he would have declined the elevation due to the huge drop in pay).
Was supported by ex CM of Andhra.

Better do homework before commenting.
Join Trilegal. It's honestly a myth that Law Firm disputes team don't get you a 'real litigation experience'. Sure, you won't be going to courts as often and working on several different matters a day. But you're still learning the fundamentals of drafting and case management. Furthermore, you learn a lot by briefing senior counsels as well.

A couple of years at the firm will give you sufficient skills to join a Senior and get decent pay as well. You would be of some value addition to whichever chamber you join. I strongly recommend joining Trilegal if you can.
Which city's team are you talking about? Counsel (people short of getting their gowns, I mean) will tell you to steer clear of the Bombay team.
Hey kid, sorry to hear about your home situation and sending you ♥️

Regarding a career in lit, I understand that it's your passion but the earning is just too little, so that's why most youngsters doing it are either nepo kids or those with no other option. Moreover, your non-NLU background may hurt you.

What I suggest is that you do is look for a in-house company job with an element of litigation and use that as a stepping stone. You can apply to private companies or PSUs (e.g. Coal India, LIC etc). If you belong to a reserved category, it bolsters you chances at PSUs.
Litigation baby, there these real lawyer. No hard feelings, you're either a practicing counsel or you're anything.

Litigation baby!!!!!
Is your pleading drafted as good as your comment?

Or

if you just argue, do you actually use such amazing words in your usage?

Baba
I draft pleadings as bad you can imagine.

However, with time you improve.

My words are not as courteous as you would like it to be. However, neither you're my lords nor my lady.

Also, was trying to understand your comment in the context of OP post.
Tips dedo ma'am pls on how to convert an internship into a PPO
Since you have the option, I would strongly recommend joining TL, working there for a year or two and then moving to litigation. That is what I did. TL is a fantastic place to work, there are some skills which are easier to pick up in a firm, and it is always mentally comforting to have a solid financial cushion when you are litigating.

If you are the sole earner and need to take care of your mother and pets, I would recommend staying in a firm for a bit longer, building up 15-20 lakhs, and then switching to litigation. In Bombay, you can save up to 5-6 lakhs as an A0 (on the old pay scale) so in 2-3 years you should be able to save 15-20 lakhs imo. Since you live with your mother in Delhi, you might be able to save a little bit more (Bombay rents are insane - not that Delhi rents are cheap).

Thankfully I have parental financial support. Otherwise, it is very hard to survive on a pure litigation salary. More importantly, knowing that I have some savings to fall back upon keeps me relatively stress free.

Whenever you switch to litigation, make sure you join bosses who are good people. That makes all the difference in a long term game like litigation.

Good luck, and hope to see you in court!