Read 12 comments as:
Filter By
Hey Guys

I have a good independent practice in Delhi. But my wife has moved to Australia (2 years study and work). It was a long time dream of her, and I supported it whole heartedly. She is in IT sector, and has more opportunities there. I also wish to move to a western country - and Australia was the best option.

We want to be together. And I am going there. No option delaying the inevitable.

I am giving up my 8 years of practice experience in Delhi district courts and my LLB in India. Sadly I am wasting 8+7 is 15 years of my life experience. Now I am making over 12 lakhs per annum, I started out with nothing. My hard work and dedication is the reason I am doing ok. I practice in civil and some criminal matters. I am from a very poor family. And I tried hard and claimed the ladder.

Everything is going to waste

I have to join her and kids atleast by this year. Initial days I am planning to do some jobs for sustenance.

After that I want to practice law in Australia.

My English is not very good.

How do I go about it?

Any Indian lawyers who are in Australia or New Zealand kindly guide in this matter. Would be much obliged forever.

Will my age 37 be an issue?

My LLB marks are very bad. Just pass. Is this an issue?

Is bad LLB marks in India an issue for NCA Canada, New York Bar or potential Australia conversion. Want to know this even though irrelevant.

LLM is very costly - already too much loan because of wife's ms degree. I am thinking of cheap alternatives. I have two children so this is impossible. And I need a job for good life for my family.

Like in Canada is there a shortcut to convert Indian LLB to Australian degree like NCA?

How's the job market for an advocate like me?

What should I do.
It will be difficult, Australia is a very costly country to live in.

Additionally, since you did litigation in Civil and Criminal matters, you won't be able to practice 'foreign law', which requires no test, compliance etc. It is a person practicing and assisting clients with home jurisdiction matters, since there will be hardly anyone requiring litigation in Delhi from Australia, this won't happen.

Now, to practice the Law of Australia, your LLB is enough, but you also need to seek approval of an admitting authority, who reviews academic record and then allows you to complete their Practical Legal Training (PLT) course. The cost of the PLT course will have to be covered by the candidate and it will be for 12 months. This depends on if the admitting authority deems your academic record ok for the PLT course. The candidate also two years before seeking admission with authority, must undertake the International English Language Testing System Academic Module (IELTS) test and must obtain a minimum score of 7.0 for reading and listening, 7.5 for speaking, and 8.0 in writing, in the components of the test. Since you have said that you are not well versed with English, this may be very tough for you to achieve. This requirement is universal for everyone overseas, maybe except New Zealand, so going through Canada will not be more beneficial.

Considering that you have great experience on ground level but do not have a good academic record as well as good understanding of the theoretical subjects (admin law + tort law of common law jurisdiction) (I assumed this since you said your marks are low), it may be very difficult to jump through all these hoops to even practice there or even the admitting authority even allowing you to do so. The cost of the PLT course is also very expensive around 15,000 dollars.

Looking at all of these factors, I would advise getting backdated internship or work certificates made in the service industry (you are in litigation, can do it easily) and look to get a job in the service industry in Australia.

With the cost of living and your wife's student loans, the financial burden on your family, along with that of raising your 2 kids will be very high, so a dual income household is extremely necessary.

I wish you best of luck, just hope that your spouse's and your joint decision for her to follow her dream does not negatively impact your family's financial standing and future. Since you earning 12 Lakhs in litigation (mostly without income tax purview) + your wife working in Delhi in the IT sector where you guys have no loans to pay, is conservatively around 18-20 lakhs a year which is very good to have a burden free life with financial security for your kids in a dual income household. You have struggled and done so well to be where you are and also dedicated years acquiring skills in litigation, now you will have to give up your standing and financial security to work which will almost certainly non-law related. So keep this psychological impact in mind.

Good Luck, hope everything goes great.

The same isn't a surety in Australia, its a huge risk. I say because I saw one of my school classmates going through the same things (non-law) in the business sector there.

Here are some links for you-

https://ielts.com.au/australia/prepare/article-ielts-for-lawyers#:~:text=To%20enter%20the%20legal%20profession,IELTS%20band%20score%20of%208.0.

https://www.collaw.edu.au/learn-with-us/our-programs/practical-legal-training-programs

https://blog.ipleaders.in/scope-indian-lawyers-australia/
Self doubt is not going to get you far. Your family has moved there and you need to join them. Best to just do what is necessary to make your life in Australia.
No work experience is wasted. The tough part is starting from scratch.
If you feel like your English is not up to the mark, improve it. There are going to be a lot of people here who are going to dissuade you. Many of them might raise valid points, but the question is what you think and what you want. Go for it. Be fearless.
But who will hire an Indian Lawyer with not so good English? Even is you qualify and become eligible to practice in Australia.
You can try para legal job in australia. Another option is if you want to do your own business you can become immigration lawyer.