Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
I am studying law here in India and my girlfriend is moving to uk for masters as she has family there and can get residency in few years. So is there anyway I can work here in India for few years after graduation and move to England ?
What do I need to consider before planning anything.
Please suggest
A 9-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
You need to consider the possibility that she might not stick around for a few years for you to get your work experience and join her. Sorry, but long distance is hard and you look like you’re in denial that things are about to end. Don’t mean to be harsh. Good luck for the future!
Bhaijaan, he asked for advice not a reality check. You are a lawyer, give your opinion with the existing facts at hand. πŸ‘€
Usko vapas bulao bhai... Bhot scope hai mumbai/ banglore mei.. tum waha kch karoge usse jyada opportunities usko India mei milenge
a) gain 3 year PQE in Indian law firm then apply for lateral in a UK firm, if you get through the process they will ask you to pass SQE (they will pay for prep and exam costs) This is a non TC route
b) gain 2 year PQE and pass SQE on your own and then apply to smaller firms directly (have a look at rollonfriday website). This is a non TC route. For general information have a look at https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/career-advice/becoming-a-solicitor/qualifying-from-abroad-to-work-in-england-and-wales
c) Soon after graduation you can do a SQE prep course from University of Law [University of Law was a prep provider like Byju but a couple of years ago they were given degree awarding powers, part of their degree can be done online as well]. They sometime also give you the option to do an integrated masters etc. You will have to still apply for a TC to get the requisite PQE to fully qualify.
d) apply for a conversion course (several unis provide MA conversion course previously known as GDL), then you can apply for the Bar Course and hopefully get a pupillage after that and become a barrister

Do lots of research before you take any decision, do not do standalone LLM unless you are in category (a) above and the firm pays for it.
To 'pi':

This comment is really insightful. Can we have a chat using an anonymous mail ID if you are okay with it?

Thanks.
Hi, I would prefer to have the discussion here, primarily because it is publicly accessible and would help many more, you can put your question without any identifiable information about you, for example you dont need to give the name of the firm you are associated with just whether it is 'big six', 'boutique' etc. you can give an idea of the salary (in the nearest lakh pa), practice area, and which sort of firms you want to target in the UK
Dear Pi,
Thank you so much for helping us out. My main question is: how do practice areas and mobility relate? From what I'e heard, lateral shifts only really work for cap marks, BnF and funds. For everything else, it's a one-in-a-million thing.
So, my question is: I've currently joined a PE/VC team in a T2 firm. Should I look to change practice areas if I want to shift? I would've applied for a TC in law school itself, but I had a very mediocre CV. But should I consider applying for a TC now, after some work ex? I don't mind compromising on a max of 3 years of PQE (one year's work ex before applying plus the two-year waiting period). It's a lot, but it's a trade-off I'm willing to make if it gives me a good shot. My understanding is that since as a TC holder they groom you from the beginning, they have greater value, as opposed to a lateral hire who comes from a different culture and jurisdiction, hence, the chances of getting a TC is higher (because they get a more valuable worker).
Hello, if you are thinking of a TC then the type of work experience matters little, it all depends on how you spin it in your application, there are trainees in magic circle who have done nothing but non-legal volunteering work for a couple of years, anyway the firm is going to treat you as a fresher during rotation, of course you will be better placed than other candidates in interviews etc. as you will have better commercial awareness etc. also it will help your application to an extent. Also, please be aware that there is a reluctance for firms to take on trainees who have too much PQE, it drops exponentially after 3-4. So, to answer your first question your current practice area will not have much impact on your chances of getting a TC as long as you can focus on the transferable skill aspects. May I suggest having a look at the forms and investing quality time in filling them up. In the last ten years or so there has been an increasing trend of law students who do not get a TC while in the uk unis to apply for paralegal position, and then apply for TC. Your application will be in this pile.

there is a subtle discrimination between TCs and lateral hires, but in about a year that goes away (if the lateral is performing to the standard). As the number of lateral openings are lower hence the chances are also lower, but the competition is also a bit lower (depending on the firm)
Thank you so much, that is really helpful! Like another commentor said, would love to stay in touch via Reddit/an anonymous email id, but if you'd rather not, that's cool too. Thanks!