Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
Ah a question I can finally answer. When I graduated (around 2015, not revealing exact batch) from a Tier 1 NLU, I had two options, either join an Indian firm (AZB/AMSS) from Day Zero or join a Magic Circle firm. I tried to double-dip, I worked for a year at the Indian firm and joined the following cycle of trainee solicitors at the MC firm. I continued to work in London post qualification, and after a few years there, pivoted back to the same Indian firm as a PA. I am ahead (seniority and pay) of my batch in the firm now. Here's my take.

London is good in that it exposes you to the highest levels of international transactional work. That comes with it, the professionalism that is inevitable - every other person on a transaction, be they a lawyer, an accountant, a consultant, the target, the acquirer, the bank, the press (eg FT coverage) are leagues ahead of their equivalent in India. So that really elevates you. Upon returning, I notice that there is way less of that in India. As a PA, I do business development - so the lack of professionalism I see in the marketplace, clients and so on is very clear. On the other hand, you have way more ownership of the work at my level (than the peers I left behind in London). You do more of the heavy lifting, and are accountable for better results.

Work-life balance, other interests, hobbies and such are not prioritized in the Indian firms. In London, I was able to do marathons and cycle; the firm paid for tennis training, weekends were usually respected and so on. As you can imagine, none of that is given serious consideration in Lower Parel.

Career-mobility is better in India. For what its worth, the glass ceiling in London is quite real. Foreigners take longer (if at all) to make Partner. Unless you bring a lot of business to the firm (top Indian corporate houses, usually through family/community networks), you will stagnate after a point. Alternatively, you have to be completely English in tastes, interests, and so on (I see some degree of affectation being put on by Indian grads just to gel with the old boys' club vibe at the senior levels). I was not cut out for it. I think I made the right decision, since its easier to leave after 5-6 years at a Magic Circle firm to return to India, as opposed to later when one comes across as someone who couldn't cut it in London.

More importantly, money. London pays better in raw terms, but the cost of living is very high. Assuming a comparable lifestyle, you might end up saving less than you'd assume seeing your salary. I think I took the right call by moving to the Home Counties after my trainee-year, and commuting by train. London is very expensive, and frankly I did not enjoy the party lifestyle beyond a point.

On the other hand, the money I make now as a PA in Bombay goes much farther in terms of what it gets me. I can have a car and a driver (so the traffic doesn't bother me), I also have my own flat now. These things would not have been possible in London (till much later, if at all).

So, to freshers, I can suggest this - do London as a long-term career only if you're sure and confident of long-term success. Otherwise, do it for a while (for the exposure) and bring that back to India where it may be valued, plus your life will be better off.
Thanks for this. I wanted to know how easy or difficult is it to move back to an Indian firm after having been at a UK one?

Are the laws/kind of work not different? Or would I still be useful to an Indian firm after being at a UK One?
London based us firm.
Pay incomparable, standard of living amazing, perks attractive, learning curve, variety and diverse work with multinational presence.
Sad they don't hire from India
Don't rule out silver circle firms like HSF, Macfarlanes, Ashurst - you are getting paid quite neat for the amount of hours put in. By the way, the salary for a fresh Associate at HSF is now more than that at Linklaters. This Magic Circle thing is nearly over as most firms are now staffed on matters that the MC firms used to do exclusively in the past. The peers are also catching up in terms of salaries.

Answer to your question is foreign law firm anyday simply because of the prestige, the brand and the quality of life. Hours same bhi ho tab bhi. It's more about the environment. Atleast angrez hindi me gaali to ni denge, you'll just "piss them off"
I've got to disagree with RightMan here. I agree with most of his post except the stuff about the "glass ceiling" in London firms.

I am a few years older btw - I was in the first big wave of Indian lawyers to go to foreign firms (in the late 2000s) and stayed and became a partner.

There is no glass ceiling - of course making partner is very difficult for everyone, but the colour of your skin is not a drawback - if anything it's an advantage - you look great on their diversity statistics. I mean for god's sake, the Managing Partner of White & Case's London office (I think it's their biggest office outside the US) is Indian (from NLSIU).

It's not about the colour of your skin, it's about whether you can play the game and fit in culturally and socially, and a huge number of Indian lawyers who move there just can't (of course you also need to work hard and bill a lot of hours and be intelligent - but Indians are good at that). They need to feel like you are one of them and they can put you in front of clients and represent the firm and will you embarrass them if you are sent on secondment to a client. That's the challenge.

I'll give a simple example - many years ago I was at a party thrown by three Indian associates who were flatmates. Guests were mostly from work - a mixture of Indians and non-Indians. By the end of the night when everyone was drunk, there was one room with all the non-Indians, plus one of the two hosts, plus me. And another room where all the other Indians congregated to chat only to each other. Guess which two Indians that night made partner in London firms (years later)?

To answer the original question - honestly there is no easy answer. It's not just about the job (especially as you get older and have children). It's more to do with where you want to live your life and where you want to bring your kids up. I'd strongly suggest picking the city and letting the work follow from there. I like living in London and the cosmopolitan vibe and don't like the traffic and pollution and dirt in Bombay, and in return I am perfectly happy to not have someone come and cook and not having a driver (or even a car) etc. These are personal tradeoffs.

Having said that if you are very junior - take the foreign firm every time and get the training and prestige on your CV and then reassess after 2-4 years.
This is a very good answer. But why did you mention NLSIU? If you are still a Partner, could you please look into these firms diversifying their hiring within India? (college/class, caste, gender)
Hey, I m in ils Pune do you think I can get into magic circle as I have heard that magic circle only hires people from top 5 nlu
Nobody should consider working abroad. Lawyers have a much better future in India.