Read 39 comments as:
Filter By
I'll be joining HPNLU Shimla in a few days time, and was wondering what all I should be reading to be a well rounded law student- who knows his stuff, aside from my course texts. Any book recommendations?
Tips for freshers in general are also welcome and would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Koolaidman is a first year law student at HPNLU? Bruh!! What even is this forum
He is referring to the other comments that you have made in other posts here. Given that you have very little idea about law school or the legal industry.
Apart from your course material, which I'm assuming, will keep you very busy, read Glanville Williams' Learning the Law, it helped me a lot getting started.
Thanks for the recommendation. I got this book as a gift in some competition. Was gathering dust ever since. Will definitely read it.
Bhai pdf mila tha- Sach bol raha hun downvote mat karo.
Dil se bura lagta hai bhai
Jurisprudence: Theory and Context by Brian Bix, mandatory for any NLU student. That's what will set you apart intellectually from the GLC/LawFac types who just keep interning throughout their course.
At Law School, Bix on Jurisprudence was mandatory ready for a second year, first trim course (Juris 1) - so nothing too far away for a fresher. In fact, reading this was the best way to pass/grade that course. If this kid is enthu, then he/she can attempt a read.
Of course, it's a mandatory reading for Juris 1 lol. But a FY student needs more basic things about law - how legal systems work, logic, how to draft, etc.
Oh great I'm a GLC/Law Fac type who will read this book so I'll have the knowledge and well as the work exp (because I intern throughout the year). Guess I'll have the upper hand over you. Best of both worlds.
It will be when you're overworked and overstressed because of your over enthusiasm
Interestingly, I have been thinking of taking a shot at CLAT again. Which NLUs should I aim for? This year, I gave it with zero prep and got lucky with an easy paper.
That's soo good. I prepped for almost 1.5 years still an abysmal rank, I think anything above RGNUL would be worth sacrificing an year for. Although your aim should always be NLS/NALSAR, if you're able to get 100+ consecutively in mocks then you're good to go!
PS: keep in mind that if you're genuinely feeling that you've a lot more potential then only it's worth the reattempt, if you feel that HPNLU is satisfactory for your aspirations then I don't think there's a need to reattempt.
What is above RGNUL? I've seen people fight over which NLUs deserve to be in the T1 list. What should my top 7 preferences be? Because I think i can do better in the Dec exam
CLAT preference list:
1. Law School
2. NALSAR
3. NUJS
4. NLUJ/NLIU/GNLU (frankly not sure of the inter-se hierarchy here, considering latest on the ground scenario with these)
7. NLUO
8. HNLU

Frankly, not sure if its worth dropping a year to go anywhere beyond NLUJ/NLIU/GNLU.
In my opinion (placement and faculty centric) better than RGNLU
NLS, NALSAR, NLUD, NUJS, NLUJ, GNLU
NLUD faculty is no longer anything great other than Anup. Everyone good has left. Their placement has never even been as good as NLUJ or GNLU, let alone NUJS. Lying about 18LPA median salary for years is not enough to have good placement.
This entire thread has been very, VERY off-topic and I'd request Kian/R to perhaps remove these so as to allow readability for the actual topic?
If there's a single piece of text that EVERY law student should read - and I can't stress this enough - it's a good text on logic.

There was a really good article that I had read in my first year. Can't seem to remember the name of the author; but perhaps it was this:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228205112_Logic_for_Law_Students_How_to_Think_Like_a_Lawyer

Will confirm later if it was indeed this or some other. Regardless, this too is a very good article that every law student NEEDS TO read.

Besides this, whatever teaches you to write better. Not sure if there's anything that can explain those principles well. Perhaps the book "Plain English for Lawyers", but I don't think that's as necessary in the first year itself.
For logic, I've stuck with 'Logic Made Easy' by Deborah J Bennett.
As for writing, I'll look up your recom.
Thanks a lot!
It was compulsory reading for Jurisprudence-I course at NLSIU when it was taught by the current VC of NLSIU Prof Sudhir Krishnaswamy.