Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
I am doing an assessment in a fairly new law firm based at Mumbai. I have no idea how much they would offer me after the assessment and I have no idea how much should I ask for! I have never been to mumbai and have heard that its expensive. Kindly guide, how much should I expect/ask in order to survive in Mumbai decently.
50k will help you survive. 15k monthly needs, 5k for going out. Rent 20k on sharing basis. Another 10 for transport and other misc. You can cut it more if you are ready to compromise on the house part.
50 k is good enough. Try staying in a pg for a while, will help you save on rent.
I survived on 45k (after tax income). Lived in a flat that was 12.5k per person (lived in suburbs, you can choose a PG in South Bombay - marine lines or charni) - furnished with washing machine. My place was about 10 km to office, as I cannot survive local generally, I took cabs to and from office or relied on sharing cars - another 4-5k. Food was mostly cooked at home by a maid, who also did cleaning - 2K, grocery, electricity, gas, internet was another 5k. Total comes to: 25K. With roti and makan sorted, explore Mumbai with the remaining 20k. You may want to spend 10 K a month on eating out/exploring and save 5k for emergencies. End of the month remains should be spent on clothing/ budget atleast 10K between two months.
Roti and makaan is not sorted na bade bhai. Makaan rental tou is the main thing in Mumbai
Hi my dude - All depends on the following:

1. Office location;
2. Lodging location;
3. Average number of hours you spend at Office during a week;
4. Does the office provide perks such as food coupons and taxi services after 8.

Rents can start from 15 to 20 a month. the quality wont be ideal, very few legitimate hostels around also. so you should budget this much for lunch. If you question is survival, well you can survive on as less as 200 rupees on food a day. I did that for my first 12 to 15 months while working at SAM, right after law school. If you plan on going out - then you can safely budget about 1500 per outing. have an average of 3 pants and 4 shirts, they can cost on average 1200 per item, maybe less if we get it stitched from home town. I did that.

45K plus should be enough for 'survival.'

I wish you all the best my dude.
How do the Court Clerks, File Peons, Receptionists and other Admin Staff who work in the Law Firms of Mumbai not only sirvive but even raise families ? Most of them are uncles and aunties in 40 plus age group and their salaries are in the 20-25K range. They travel on trains from Kalyan and Dombivli.