Read 21 comments as:
Filter By
I'm a first-generation lawyer from a middle-class family in a Tier 1 NLU (Top3). The reason I chose law is that I would be able to practice inside a court, not sit behind computers and do clerical work in a law firm. But this thread is so hostile towards litigation and discourages any law student without connections to go this path that I have no hope anymore. The threads and other opinions have made me realize that the law profession has become a joke and only the corporate path is being chosen by the students to do clerical work for a corporate boss. Nobody is choosing litigation as a profession nowadays and it is only dominated by a few senior advocates and well-connected families. If this is the condition of law as a profession in India, then the rise of young litigators from NLU's will become non-existent due to lack of connections and money. What use is a law education in the top institutes of the country if 90% of the batch are opting for corporate firms to work as slaves?
You are from top 3, no rules said on this apply to you buddy, you could quit your law firm job to begin litigation right away, you might quit litigation and still tier 2/3 firms will hire you. You've been admitted into the best (one of) the lae colleges in India and you are at a position where you may do and succeed at anything, there is a reason clat is the benchmark of future lawyers, you've cleared that benchmark and to be frank many chambers in Delhi would pick you at a decentish salary just on your college name at the first instance. So chill and let others struggle, you just connect to your college's alumni and they'll set you up with good internships too. Cheers mate!πŸ₯‚
Only if LI was the reality. You feel like this because the majority of LI consists of corporate lawyers. If you have the knack for it, you will get paid well even in litigation. I was mediocre at best but was still paid 40,000 per month for a 9:30 AM to 7:30 PM job (6 days a week) in Delhi. Most people are not paid at all. I know it seems like a pittance but I left way too early. My friends who continued there became independent within 3-5 years and now make anywhere between 1-2.5 lakh per month. Dont compare this to corporate lawyers because this is very different. Litigators have a lot of free time on hand, you have court holidays all the time in addition to annual one month off in summer. They get free latest by 6 pm. Most of them could make more if they want to but are content with what they make and where they are. If you already have a home in Delhi and both the spouses are working and making even a total of 2 lakh pm, you can live a luxurious life in Delhi. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
You can afford, maid, cook, even chauffeur, drive a decent car and send kids to a decent school. Of course, this may seem pittance to many here but those law firm bucks take something far more valuable, they take away the happiness out of your life. That job works just like a Dementor works in Harry Potter, just look at everyone around and try to find one frigging happy face. That is no way to work in my opinion rest is up to you.
Bhai Maldives/Mauritius ki jagah Andaman/Lakshwadeep chale jaana retreat pe bas itna fark padta hai baaki aapki marzi. Sawari apne samaan ki swayam jimmedar hai.
Thia line is best - those law firm bucks take something far more valuable, they take away the happiness out of your life. That job works just like a Dementor works in Harry Potter, just look at everyone around and try to find one frigging happy face.
I'm sorry for jumping in. But that's absolute rubbish. LI readership doesn't have enough people who practice, so take all comments with a pinch of salt. The only takeaway you should have is litigation life is tough because your peers will have the corporate definition of success early, i.e. money, weird numerical designation etc. and you may end up slogging for some time without tangible benefits. Even amongst corporate placements, most prefer the disputes team. Also do know that litigation involves tremendous amount of clerical work as corporate does. Not every bail case in the country requires the constitution to be invoked. Find a good senior and follow what you want to do in life.

All the best and sorry for the unsolicited gyan.

- R
R, are you trying to say that you have difficulty in believing reasonably competent lawyer litigation straight out of law school will not be able to earn 12 lakh in a year after 3-5 year PQE? The firm is not the only and the ultimate paymaster in India, R. Litigation pays if you are willing to put some effort and some mind into it. At the outset, it seems hard to get clients and it is to a large extent but if you belong to a middle-class family it is really not that hard to find clients. You will get that NI case from your uncle's friend, handle the divorce for that neighbour's son while juggling through the partition suit of your brother in law. Most lawyers that get stuck in the bind are which primarily spend their early years in SC, HC, and specialized tribunals such as NCLT etc and don't even have a taste of trial-level litigation. Do keep in mind in Delhi at least the jurisdiction of district courts is up to 2 crore which is a significant sum. While it is good to have writ based matters too, at the start real money is to be made in the district courts.
Agree with your comment about litigation, but R did not really say what you thought he did. Earning 1 lakh a month after 5 years is not really an example of early success when your peers in corporate law firms will be earning close to thrice that amount with that kind of PQE.
Yes. You can end up earning 100 times more than your peers at some point of time. It's just difficult at that age, and circumstances (if you have loan to pay, and family to support etc.) To continuously worry about it.

- R
Law firms give you the instant dopamine hit because getting placed right out of college is a great flex for many but it's obvious that good litigators who work day and night will outearn these law firm partners. Not many, however have the freedom to make peanuts for the first 7-8 years so I don't want to blame the law firm freshers too. Paise hain aapke paas aur 7-8 saal struggle kar sakte ho to karlo varna aajao T-1 shops mein.
This aversion towards litigation is the work of the law firms.They relentlessly paint this glamorous life for Corp lawyers.While I think most go for Corp law because of the stable pay (loans,rentals etc) and higher pay right from the 1st year,this has led to litigation being avoided by many because they don't want the struggle more so when they would see batch mates making much more in copr law.Little do the Corp law freshers realise that within 2-3years they will hate their job and life and want to forget about law. That realization comes after having done mainly clerical work and being given inhuman toxic work culture.
Anything that doesn't make economic sense, requires extra economic glorification, litigation being a prime example. Legal education (at NLUs and comparable private colleges) cost a substantial amount. Not everyone can afford to incur such a huge cost and have nothing to show for in financial terms upon graduation other than hoping for a brighter future. This post reeks of by birth privilege.
Still don’t understand the hate towards law firms. If the work was clerical or unimportant, they wouldn’t have been earning and paying this much and the clients wouldn’t have been flocking these tier 1s. The corporate work is as interesting if you want it to be and have some interest . Sirf paise ke liye aaoge to kya hi kahe koi.
And which good litigation lawyer does not have sleepless nights 7 days a week? Sure, there are court holidays but apart from that, the timings are brutal there too if you want to be successful. Ab mediocre hi rehna hai to corporate me bhi lawfirms hai 8 baje exit timings wali, litigation me bhi. Karlo kaam.
Stop this BS about normalizing insane work hours as a need for being better than mediocre. There are plenty of professionals making bank without having to sacrifice their sleep and social life. Law is neither that hard nor that demanding but of course when you bill them by the hour a quick rub n tug is not the way to go, you need to grind for hours to make it worthwhile. At one point you need to just punch in the numbers and see if the grind is worth it or not. Also, most corp lawyers irrespective of how much money they make if you calculate their compensation in terms of manhours they put, it's a terrible number to show for.
Don't think about options. If you intend to do litigation and enjoy doing it, do it. If you will think about other factors, you will never be able to leave your job, EVER. Whatever you decide, please do it with utmost clarity, determination and confidence.

I have friends in criminal litigation, practicing since 4-5 years, earning enough to afford an abroad trip. There will be numerous examples you will find in BHC (7-10 PQE), who would have come from local colleges, first generation lawyers, middle class background, etc. but are not only surviving in Mumbai, but living a comfortable life, if not luxurious. You will go through the grind for few years but its definitely worth it. These firms will hire you to appear for their clients. Law firm Partners will ask you to appear for their internal disputes on bill sharing.

Your peers might be making 3 lacs a month with 5 PQE but they will not be able to make 2 lacs a day with 7-8 PQE, which as a litigator, you can! Remember, they will always be dependent, irrespective of their designation. Oh yaa - They are also obligated to answer calls of MP when she calls at 3am.

Litigation is like a start-up entrepreneur, everyone wants to become one but lack courage and self-confidence to start, to start anything is always difficult, therefore, we tend to choose the easiest option - in this case law firm 'job'. Later they excuse it by saying - EMI, family pressure, etc. for not pursuing their passion - LITIGATION. FACT - After 3 years at ANY corporate law firm - you have enough savings to join a senior to start your litigation practice and survive for 12-15 months.

If you choose litigation - you are already a step ahead from your peers because you are doing what they can't but they are doing what you can. You didn't compromise, you had the courage to at least try! Conclusion - you can start you career with any law firm after 3 PQE as litigator but your peers will never think of pursuing what you do, even if they love it.
Which first generation litigation lawyer with 7-8 years PQE is earning 2 lacs a day? Sasti nasha mat kiya kar
1 bail, 3 appearances and drafting of written statement. My brother (Messi-I won't name him) he has achieve that billing thrice. His senior was an SPP with PQE 11, he worked in his chamber for 5 years. He has friends on the civil side, they regularly appear for Corporates and some mid-size law firms.

Sasta ho ya Mehnga - Nasha sirf kaam ka hona chahiya!
Insightful observations.First Gen Litigation is being made difficult or impossible to succeed in,because senior Advocates and Judges and well established Advocate want the privileges of litigation career's success to be readily available to their families and children.The NEPOTISM is not just in Bollywood.And Corp law firms especially the family owned ones want such hindrances to continue in litigation because if litigation became esay to survive in,law graduates would probably not join or even quit the Corp law.Most guys for Corp law are ones who need or want the steady pay check.Why do you think big Chamber Advocates pay peanuts,because they know you need the learning and that's all they will give to make your litigation career.Financing and survival need to be on your own.After some years at Corp law it will be impossible to join chamber at peanut salary and a different litigation schedule.And Corp law wants you to fear litigation struggles.At the end of some years and tears you will feel like you have wasted your life in Corp law but console yourself with how litigation was anyways not possible.Stop chasing the high paying clerk positions at Corp law,they may provide intial stability but no future in law.Take the plunge into litigation and give it two years,then see how you soar.
Informative and engaging content! Your blog provides valuable information about law. I appreciate the well-researched articles and practical tips you offer. Keep up the great work!

If you want Information Please Visit here https://www.theloop.com.au/project/davidfarmer/portfolio/pars-pedia-web-interface/140949