Read 30 comments as:
Filter By
I have an LLB from Faculty of Law, DU and an LLM from a not-so reputed international university. I had been working with a law firm from May of this year as an A0. I have not been enjoying my work. Most of the work that gets handed over to me is extremely clerical or boring.

Overall, I am getting disillusioned by law. I want to try out something else in my life - opening a small entrepreneurial setup and see how it goes for the next couple of years.

I just wish to understand the following things- will it look too bad if I were to leave a law firm within just two months? Will it impact my chances of getting a law firm job if my set-up doesn't workout? What else should I consider before making the move.
Sorry. Truecaller marked you as spam.

Too many desperate calls to clients. Quality of fans has also gone down.
Oh so that means nobody recieves your call. Call me, I will pick your call.
I think I know who you are. I work in the same firm as yours. My only consideration would be the money. If it was not for the money and my need for it, I would be doing something somewhere and meaningful.
- debt free (home, education, car, credit card, personal)
- savings = 6 months' expenses
- emergency fund = 5 lakhs
- health insurance of min. 3 lakhs + critical health cover of min. 10 lakhs
- life insurance of min. 20 lakhs (if you have dependents - partner, retired parents)
- don't have kids till you have a stable salary / job
- stay healthy; say no to alcohol, tobacco, drugs, processed / fast food, sugar
- cancel useless memberships, cable etc. (use others' Netflix), exercise in the park
- take public transport
- don't waste money on clothes, smartphone etc
- get off all social media

- take a month off to relax
- write all exams (NET, SEBI, RBI, UPSC, PCSJ, JAG, CLAT PG)
- Use NET to find temp teaching jobs, simultaneously do PhD (3-5 yrs)
- Use CLAT PG to apply to PSUs
- If you clear other exams, UPSC > PCSJ > SEBI > RBI
Frankly, most of us in first year feel the same. I wanted to quit and lasted for more than 10 years. Minus the usual people stress, I loved it, the sheer joy of getting the deal through for clients kept me going. If you want to quit, don't think what others would think. Try a different place, you may start liking the work too. Getting back is never tough if you are ok to discount seniority. Good luck.
Go back to Papa/Mumma's wealth because clearly you have it or else you won't be thinking on these lines. This kind of drama only comes from the privileged.
Harsh but true. I can't imagine leaving my job even though I hate it because papa dearest, who funded me his entire life has a stake in me. So I hear rebel music to get it out of my system and then keep on with my jee huzoori.
Hi,

OP this side. I thought I will update on what happened today. I finally mailed the HR that I want to leave the firm. One of the senior partner, who I have worked with on a transaction earlier called me and asked me for my reason. I told him and he was kind enough to relieve me immediately. To quote him exactly - if you really hate law so much, there is no point making you stay any longer with us. And it did hurt, a bit.

However, I am free finally. I am not sure whether I will get the first 10 days salary, but as some of you have figured out I am relatively well-endowed and thus it doesn't make a lot of difference to me. But I must tell you, if you really have the money, or have saved enough to sustain yourself, do give this a try. I have not felt freer in the last three months. I don't have to frantically check my phone hoping that there are no notification on the associates group.

A lot of you have called me privileged and some of the comments have been outright hurtful, but I've come to realise that people can be anything behind a veil of anonymity and that's fine by me. I will continue to give honest updates for those of you who still care to follow and understand how my life turns out. Turn this thread into an anon blog of sorts subject to LI permitting it.

But I am free finally. And I cherish my decision. Let's see if I retain the same jubilance in the days to come!
Hi, all the best to you for your future!
Since you are a DU alumni, I have a question.
I am 1st year student of DU. I have heard demotivating things like - it's very hard for a 3 yrs llb student to make it into top corp law firms, it's harder to crack internships at law firms, etc. Is it so ? If yes, then what can I do to better my chances? What's the scene out there for DU pass outs seriously trying to make a career in corp law firms?
well endowed..lol! you mean your dad is well endowed, you're his unemployed....
Seems like you are a good man, all the best. It maybe that you like law - but not of the type that you were doing, give it a thought, take this break to see what works best for you, and having wealth helps you to take all aspects into consideration. For me personally, I liked large parts of law firm life (primarily because I lucked out on bosses), at some stage I had loans to pay, but in the end, it did not change me (other than losing hair and a bit of health maybe), but it did give me the security of giving it up with a reasonable cushion and do what else might seem more meaningful.
Good job buddy. I am myself a law graduate from Delhi University 2016-19 batch. Have worked in litigation, corporates and finally a law firm..I can tell you that you have taken the right decision. Infact I made a switch from corporate to law firm and it was horrible experience. I realised in the first 2 months that it is not worth it. And to work cross functionally in a company is more thrilling given the fact that I was handling contracts in reliance. I found that people in law firm are generally very negative in attitude and they give you this vibe as if they own your ass. Khair, Mera manna hai ek life hai jo sahi lgey vo Karo. Log law chodkar bhi bht acha krte hai..toh law mein hi agar koi direction change kr rh hai toh ky bura hai. All the best.
Hey OP, as someone who quit a Tier one law firm due to the stifling wok conditions, I can tell you that I understand you and I am with you. Sometimes in life you have to follow your heart. The decision will look good right now, it might pinch a bit in the time to come, but as more time passes you will realize you made the right choice and there was no utility in working where your heart was not there. There are bigger success awaiting you in other areas of life and career. Law firm by no means is the ONLY place where you can build your career. Best wishes!
Hi, that's so amazing to hear. Could you please tell us how long you worked in T1 and where you are right now?
Hi, so I worked around a year in T1, switched to a smaller firm and have since been in a couple of in-house positions. To be honest, my T1 experience and top law school background ensured that I got a ladder to climb when I shifted in-house at a fairly competent pay and seniority. Currently I report directly to someone outside the country and manage my own team. So I kinda still owe this to my T1.
Hi, saying this for folks other than OP (all the best to you!) I am speaking as someone who has been hiring for my team. Work ex of 2 months is as good as nil, irrespective of what other role you apply for later - law firm, startup, law, non-law. It indicates to recruiters that you quit as soon as you faced the slightest discomfort. You never learnt to work in a team or take direction, or work on improving your performance on new skills. Unless you face health concerns (physical or mental) making it unable to continue, please don't quit your first job within the first year!
Firstly, I commend you for your honesty and introspection. It's essential to recognize when something isn't fulfilling or aligning with your aspirations. Here's my take on your concerns:

1. Leaving a Law Firm Early: While it's common for professionals to stay in a position for at least a year, your well-being and job satisfaction are paramount. If you genuinely feel that the role isn't a good fit, it's better to make a move sooner rather than later. However, when discussing your decision with future employers or colleagues, it's essential to frame it positively. Emphasize what you learned during your time there and how it influenced your subsequent decisions.
3. Returning to Law: If your entrepreneurial venture doesn't pan out as expected and you decide to return to law, your experience as an entrepreneur can be a valuable asset. Running a business requires a myriad of skills, many of which are transferable and can be beneficial in a legal setting. It's all about how you present and leverage that experience. Remember, many successful individuals have faced setbacks or taken unconventional paths. What's crucial is resilience and the ability to adapt and grow from experiences.
5. Transferable Skills and Job Search: Your legal background has equipped you with numerous transferable skills like analytical thinking, attention to detail, and effective communication. When looking for jobs outside the legal realm, focus on these skills and how they can be applied in different industries. Platforms like LinkedIn allow you to search for roles based on skills, which can open doors to positions you might not have considered.
7. The Value of Entrepreneurship: Embarking on an entrepreneurial journey is a commendable decision. It not only allows you to be your own boss but also provides a platform to innovate, create, and make a direct impact. The skills you'll gainβ€”like business strategy, networking, and risk assessmentβ€”are invaluable and can enhance your professional profile, whether you return to law or explore other sectors. It is ultimately something in which you will always fail upwards.
9. Things to Consider Before Making the Move:

-
- Financial Stability: Ensure you have a financial safety net before venturing into entrepreneurship. It might take time before your setup becomes profitable.
-
- Skill Set: While passion is vital, having the necessary skills or being willing to learn them is equally important. Consider taking courses or seeking mentorship in areas you're less familiar with.
-
- Market Research: Before starting, research the market to understand the demand for your product/service and identify your target audience.
-
- Networking: Connect with other entrepreneurs or join entrepreneurial communities. They can provide invaluable insights, support, and potential collaboration opportunities.

Lastly, remember that every career move, whether lateral, forward, or even seemingly backward, adds to your life's tapestry. It's the skills you acquire, the people you meet, and the lessons you learn that shape your professional journey. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck and success in your endeavours!
A 69-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.