Contributors & Reader Blogs
Either the Times of India thinks that only advocates are lawyers or that law firm lawyers are just not so very top.
While I certainly would not dare disagree with the calibre and legal genius of each of these individuals, could not at least one law firmite have made it to the list?Here's TOI's full list of top 10 lawyers, along with our nutshell summary of the paper's often brilliant commentary on each:
- Fali Nariman
The "wise man of the Bar" with a stature that "allows him to be blunt in court".
- Soli J Sorabjee
Former glorious AG, fierce free speech and HR advocate, "mad 'bawa' (Parsi) jokes", successful daughter.
- Harish Salve
The "legal robot" and all-round legal talent.
- K. Parasaran
"Articulate" and "ethically driven" "man for all seasons".
- Ram Jethmalani
Passionate about crimes with "rapier-sharp wit", proving crime does pay.
- Abhishek Manu Singhvi
"Buddha of the Bar", youngest additional solicitor general ever and happy enabler of all tricolor-wavers.
- Mukul Rohatgi
Voluble "king" of Delhi HC and Anil's gas dispute trusted counsel.
- K.K. Venugopal
"Constitutional crorepati", Emergency counterweight and collector - but where's the grey hair?
- Rohinton F Nariman
Cheerful corporate stalwart, fast riser to senior counsel, Fali's son.
- Ashok Desai
Reclusive former AG, softly-spoken but packing a serious punch and control.
- court-room work is simply more glamorous than the desk-bound transactional variety,
- the ones on the list really are a league apart that law firmites have not yet been able to match, or
- the TOI did not read the Lawyers Collective judgment that "legal practice" includes desk-work.
- M&G Bar Council polls close; impropriety alleged
- More law student hunger strikes - what's going on ...