Experts & Views
Either the Times of India thinks that only advocates are lawyers or that law firm lawyers are just not so very top.
While I certainly would not dare disagree with the calibre and legal genius of each of these individuals, could not at least one law firmite have made it to the list?Here's TOI's full list of top 10 lawyers, along with our nutshell summary of the paper's often brilliant commentary on each:
- Fali Nariman
The "wise man of the Bar" with a stature that "allows him to be blunt in court".
- Soli J Sorabjee
Former glorious AG, fierce free speech and HR advocate, "mad 'bawa' (Parsi) jokes", successful daughter.
- Harish Salve
The "legal robot" and all-round legal talent.
- K. Parasaran
"Articulate" and "ethically driven" "man for all seasons".
- Ram Jethmalani
Passionate about crimes with "rapier-sharp wit", proving crime does pay.
- Abhishek Manu Singhvi
"Buddha of the Bar", youngest additional solicitor general ever and happy enabler of all tricolor-wavers.
- Mukul Rohatgi
Voluble "king" of Delhi HC and Anil's gas dispute trusted counsel.
- K.K. Venugopal
"Constitutional crorepati", Emergency counterweight and collector - but where's the grey hair?
- Rohinton F Nariman
Cheerful corporate stalwart, fast riser to senior counsel, Fali's son.
- Ashok Desai
Reclusive former AG, softly-spoken but packing a serious punch and control.
- court-room work is simply more glamorous than the desk-bound transactional variety,
- the ones on the list really are a league apart that law firmites have not yet been able to match, or
- the TOI did not read the Lawyers Collective judgment that "legal practice" includes desk-work.
NB: By reading the comments you agree that they are the personal views and opinions of readers, for which Legally India has no liability whatsoever. Because anonymous comments may be biased or unreliable, you agree that you will not allow any comment(s) to affect your estimation of any person(s) or organisation(s). If you believe a comment is inappropriate, please click 'Report to administrator' below the comment with your objection and we will review it as soon as practicable.
- Snort: Outlook releases law school rankings without NUJS, NLIU, NLU-J, as GNLU comes 3rd
- Revealed: The 17 law firms with the greatest partner turnover in the last 4 years (after cataclysmic 2016)
- The story of JGLS’ S. Korean student who wanted to take the Indian bar exam last year, hoping for Advocates Act reciprocity