Ajay Bahl is a senior partner at AZB & Partners at the Delhi office.
Delhi-based Ajay Bahl, son of a doctor, is a rare amalgamation of a chartered accountant and a lawyer. He was persuaded by politician N.K.P. Salve to study law. Salve also recommended him to intern with Soli. After the internship, Ajay began practising from his garage in Malcha Marg in Delhi. “Little did I know that 20 years down, Soli’s daughter’s and my paths would be joined,” says Ajay who accepted Bahram’s proposal to merge Ajay Bahl & Company with CZB to form AZB in 2004. “It was an instinct that we should get together,” says Ajay.
He qualified as a chartered accountant in 1979 and as a lawyer in 1985. He has been associated with various important leading tax rulings, including a recent widely reported one, involving a US satellite company, in which the Indo-US double taxation avoidance agreement was analysed in detail and distinguished from domestic law. Ajay’s areas of expertise include Mergers & Acquisitions, Securities Regulations, Foreign Exchange related advisory work and Taxation including Taxation Litigation. 
Professional Affiliations / Recognition
- Bar Association of India
- International Bar Association.
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India .
- Confederation of Indian Industries(CII)
- Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce of Indian(FICCI)
- Indian Management Association.
- Trustee of several charitable institutions, school and hospitals.
- He has presented papers on areas of broadcasting law, telecom; foreign exchange regulations and has been a keynote speaker at various sessions organized by professional bodies and trade associations.
- He figures amongst the leading corporate and tax lawyers in India in international publications like "Asia Pacific 500" and the "Chambers". 2004 Asialaw Leading Lawyers Survey has identified Ajay Bahl as one of Asia's leading business lawyers in the field of Mergers & Acquisitions and Project Finance.
- Ajay Bahl has also been singled out by the Asia Pacific Legal 500 2005/2006 as a leading individual in the fields of Taxation and Corporate/M&A. Recently he has been selected as an Asialaw Leading Lawyer in the field of General Corporate Practice by 2006 Asia Law & Practice.