Naya Raipur is the upcoming Capital of Chhattisgarh being built 17 km far in the south-east direction from the existing capital Raipur. 'Naya Raipur' would at once serve as the administrative capital of the State and also cater to the infrastructural needs of industry and trade in the region. The new city is about 20 kilometers from Raipur Mana Airport and is between two national highways—NH6 and NH 43, and the new city and the old one are separated by the airport. Naya Raipur spreads over an area of about 8000 hectares. It includes 41 villages out of which 27 villages form the core of the Naya Raipur. The population of just 1 villages is getting displaced in this renovation of villages for the construction of Naya Raipur. About half of the total acquired land is being used for afforestation, roads, parks, public conveniences, water facilities-canals, green belts etc. 23 percent of the land would be reserved for educational institutions, government offices and public auditoriums etc. 30 percent of the land will be used for residential and economical purposes.
The project is likely to cost anywhere between Rs 1,500 and 2,000 crore. The city is expected to house about 4.5 lakh people within a decade and provisions, in the form of future infrastructure upgradation, have been made for its expansion.
Objectives of Naya Raipur
A satellite city to Raipur holding capital function is the primary identity of Naya Raipur. It will be modern in the use of technology, uphold worthy traditions and core values, and conserve the prevailing man-nature symbiotic culture as well as abundant nature & cultural assets in the region. The citizens will be offered a wide range of living options with equity and dignity. The city will strive to make an impact in the following role:
- An agent of economic change and social transformation in the state.
- An efficient engine of growth and prosperity.
- A servicing hub not only in manufacturing of goods but also in information Technology and Bio-Technology sectors.
- A financial centre of the region.
- Hub of trade and hospitality sectors in Naya Raipur.
- Hub of cultural services which would supplement local economy.
- Hub of affordable and high quality medical services.
- Hub of quality educational facilities and strive to develop as a knowledge base.
However, the vision of the city in physical terms, i.e. its form and function in two as well as three dimensional terms is delineated in a subsequent section.
For all the lofty mundane purposes bestowed on this city, a comprehensive exercise was undertaken to find a perfect location for it. An imaginary circle of 50 km radius was drawn around Raipur and this massive area was divided into four quadrants. Each quadrant was analyzed in context of regional development, existing development, climatic factors, flora and fauna, water resources, transport network etc and the efforts yielded the present site southeast of Raipur at about 15 km distance, close to Mana Airport. The site selection methodology and site profile are detailed.<ref name="nayaraipur.in">http://www.nayaraipur.in/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=53</ref>
Naya Raipur Development Authority(NRDA)
After formation of new state Chhattisgarhin the year 2000, the state government has decided to create a well planned new city for Raipur. Hence Special area has been notified under section 64 of Nagar Tatha Gramnivesh Adhiniyam 1973.
The authority thus formed is named Capital Area Development Authority (CADA) which is now called as Naya Raipur Development Authority(NRDA). NRDA is the nodal agency undertaking comprehensive development of this Greenfield City.
The authority has Chairman, CEO and other members. Chief Executive officers appointed by government and other officers and staff working under NRDA organization.<ref>http://www.nayaraipur.com/nayaraipur/topmenu/aboutnrda.aspx</ref> Shri P.Joy Oommen, I.A.S., is the Chairman and Shri S.S.Bajaj, I.F.S. is the Chief Executive Officer of NRDA.<ref>http://www.nayaraipur.com/nayaraipur/leftmenu/orgset.aspx?ival=16</ref>
Vision for Development
- ‘NAYA RAIPUR’ would be a ‘green city’ in every sense of the term. Large areas would be brought under tree plantation - Arrangements for water conservation and waste water recycling - Use of non-conventional energy resources to the maximum.<ref>http://www.nayaraipur.com/nayaraipur/leftmenu/VisionForDevelopment.aspx?ival=2</ref>
- ‘NAYA RAIPUR’ would reflect the rich heritage and culture of Chhattisgarh and India, in its urban design and architecture. Special efforts would be taken to make it a people friendly and visitor friendly city.<ref>name="nayaraipur.com">http://www.nayaraipur.com/nayaraipur/leftmenu/VisionForDevlop.aspx?ival=2</ref>
- City design would promote sense of security and comfort among its citizens, especially women, children and the physically challenged.
The main activity base of Naya Raipur would be the Government / State Capital functions. However, a diversification of economic is desirable which would be attained through the following activities:<ref>http://www.nayaraipur.com/nayaraipur/leftmenu/economic.aspx?ival=17</ref>
- Software Technology Park
- Gems and Jewellery and other similar industries
- Business Offices
- Health, Education and Research services
- Regional recreational activities
Methodology Adopted in Plan-Making
While venturing to prepare the development plan for Naya Raipur, basic studies were made in the form of a secondary survey of data on Chandigarh (the first capital of independent India) and Raipur, the elder sister and the most important “organic” metropolis in the region. The space quantum against each activity/work-centre was then ascertained going by accepted thumb-rule of the concerned industry/trade/activity, to case of capital complex, and government jobs exact figures were taken into consideration. The resultant space quantum was then allocated on two-dimension on the structure plan and final quantum, shape, location, was defined by exact boundaries/roads on the plan. With iterations, the allocated spaces were again translated in terms of number of jobs and the total number of job in the city arrived at. With a population of 5.6 lakhs, the Naya Raipur City is excepted to generate approximately 2.2 lakh jobs, with an assumed workforce participation rate of 40%. The high standards of physical and social infrastructure adopted for the city will be able to cope with the maximum capacity of the city.<ref name="nayaraipur.in"/>
- Length of proposed roads: 225 km
- Construction work on 71 km of road has been started (100m and 60m row)
- Construction Agency: M/s B. Seenaiah & Company(Projects) Limited, Hyderabad
- Project Management Consultancy: M/s Sheldia Associates Inc., USA.
- Architectural Consultants: M/s.Comfort Designers, Hyderabad (http://www.comfortdesigners.com)
The urban design of the new city will incorporate the best of international cities as well as traditional Chhattisgarhculture. Many big malls are also coming up. The design will be a grid pattern city plan. One of the major influences of the design was Kuala Lumpur's new capital complex at Putrajaya.
Naya Raipur will form the hub of educational institutions in the state of Chhattisgarh. The city will have premier educational institutions like Hidayatullah National Law University, Indian Institute of Management, National Institute of Technology, Raipur