Mooting Premier League 2010-11 moot court competitions
This new list of Moots for MPL 2 contains considerable changes in the Tier System and the Scoring Criteria. A new fifth tier has been included to balance the moots in the other tiers. Also, some exceptional International Mooting Competitions (like [ELSA WTO Moot], [Frankfurt Arbitration], etc) see abysmal Indian participation, which is unfair to other participants in the MPL 2. Therefore, instead of excluding them from the MPL 2, we have demoted them to lower tiers to ensure fairness.
Total number of Moots - 49 | Tier 1 - 4 Moots | Tier 2 - 4 Moots | Tier 3 - 8 Moots | Tier 4 - 13 Moots | Tier 5 - 20 Moots
Tier 1 - Global Championships
These include the world finals most prestigious moot court competitions in the world and other world contests involving rigorous competition and wide participation.
- Manfred Lachs Space Moot, World Finals
- Philip C. Jessup, Washington
- Willem C. Vis (East), Hong Kong
- Willem C. Vis, Vienna
Tier 2 - World Class
These are the widely recognised international mooting events where a substantial number of Indian teams participate. These moots enjoy worldwide reputation among law students.
- ICC Trial Moot, The Hague
- Manfred Lachs Space Moot, Sydney rounds
- Red Cross Moot
- Stetson World Rounds
Tier 3 - Elite Class
These mooting events are the best of the elite national contests and some of them are the gateway to the Global Championships/World-class moots in the above tiers.
- Bar Council of India moot
- DM Harish Moot, GLC
- Henry Dunant Moot (India qualification rounds to Red Cross Moot)
- Oxford Media Law Moot
- Philip C. Jessup North India Rounds
- Philip C. Jessup South India Rounds
- Stetson North India Rounds
- Stetson South India Rounds
Tier 4 - National Challengers
Most of the contests in this Tier see participation from the top Indian Law Schools. A large number of them have also carved a niche for themselves in the national mooting scene.
- Commonwealth Moot
- ELSA WTO Moot
- GNLU International Moot
- ISRO Manfred Lachs funding rounds
- KK Luthra Criminal Law Moot, Delhi
- KLA Moot, Kerala
- MM Singhvi moot, NLU Jodhpur
- Nani Palkhiwala Tax Moot, GLC
- NLS International Arbitration
- NUJS Herbert Smith Corporate Moot
- Oxford Media Law Moot National Qualifiers
- Surana Corporate Moot
- Surana International Technology Moot
Tier 5 - Best of the Rest
A varied range of Indian law schools take part in the competitions enlisted in this tier.
- Amity Moot Court Competition
- GH Raisoni Moot
- Justice Hidayatullah Memorial Moot
- NFCG-Nalsar Moot on Corporate Governance
- Nalsar BR Sawhney Moot
- NLU Antitrust Moot
- NLU Delhi All India Corporate Moot
- Pro Bono Enviro Moot SOEL Chennai
- Rizvi Moot
- SP Sathe Moot, ILS Pune
- Surana & Surana International Minority Rights Moot
- Surana Trial Advocacy Moot, North India round
- Surana Trial Advocacy Moot, South India round
- ULC Bangalore Moot
- ELSA WTO Asian rounds
- ICC Moot, Paris
- IICLAM Competition
- Frankfurt International Arbitration Moot
- Maritime International Arbitration Moot, Sydney
- Oxford IPR Moot
|Category/Tiers||Tier 1 - Global Championships||Tier 2 - World Class||Tier 3 - Elite Class||Tier 4 - National Challengers||Tier 5 - Best of the Rest|
|Best team||40 points||30 points||20 points||15 points||10 points|
|Runners-up||35 points||25 points||15 points||10 points||7 points|
|Best Orator / Memorial / Researcher||30 points each||20 points each||10 points each||7 points each||5 points each|
|Semi finalists||25 points||15 points||10 points||7 points||5 points|
|Quarter Finalists*||20 points||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Octa Finalists*||15 points||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Honourable Mention/Other equivalent awards||10 points||5 points||N/A||N/A||3 points+|
|Number of competitions||4||4||8||13||20|
|Total possible points for winners||160||120||160||195||200|
|Total points for runners-up||140||100||120||130||140|
*Points for Quarter Finalists and Octa Finalists shall not apply to the Manfred Lachs Space Law Moot- World Finals
+ Points for Honourable Mention in Tier 5 apply only to the International Moots in that Tier.
Now, we need your help:
- Look through the list and decide whether you agree with the rankings.
- Do you agree with the scoring criteria? Should more points be given for a tier, or less points?
- Think of some catchy names to call each tier and let us know!