Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
GLC has very bad location. Its right at the southern-most tip of the city, travelling till there is a nightmare. Crowd is a disaster and so is quality of education but there's no attendance. PGCL on the other has good location, crowd and education but attendance requirements can be strict. Everything ultimately comes down to how you are as an individual. Do you want to intern throughout the year and not attend college? Then GLC. Do you want a college life and receive lectures from good faculty? Then PGCL.
Here's a relevant extract from another thread that I personally somewhat agree with too. Currently in GLC.

"I am a first generation lawyer and a GLC graduate. I have faced no discrimination in finding opportunities. Many of my batch mates have joined Tier 1 firms and are doing well there. Others are with senior advocates, and while all of them do come from well to do/middle class households, most do not come from legal backgrounds. I don’t think you will face any loss in opportunities at GLC.

I loved my time at GLC. The freedom is extraordinary, and you are actually treated like an adult. Some of the teachers are very helpful and will mentor you actively if you reach out. I mention Professors Shamim Dalvi and Krishu Daswani especially in this context. The visiting faculty, who do take regular lectures, are also great. I don’t know if any NLU has an AZB partner teaching arbitration or contracts; it is true for GLC.

Now the negatives:
- There is no spoon-feeding whatsoever. The lectures are based on the MU syllabus, and are not designed to train students in critical thinking.
- GLC is not particularly academic, and the culture is exam based not assignment based. The few assignments that may be required (I have heard that MU has made assignments compulsory now, and they make up part of the grade), will likely be cut paste jobs/poor quality.
- Some of the teachers are of very poor quality (but I believe you will have them everywhere).
- NLUs are definitely more rigorous, and passing through one will guarantee that you will be a graduate of a minimum standard.
- No forced discipline. You must be self motivated.

While it is not difficult to meet the same standard at GLC, meeting it would be due to your hard work or initiative, not because of the academic requirements of the college. The best way to for inexperienced students to level up is to join one of the more β€œserious” committees/clubs: ADR, Moot Court, Law Review, and to do more than level up, do an internship.

An interesting point to consider:
What you must understand is that GLC is a traditional law college with immense diversity. Our fees are negligible and we have a 50% quota that brings in people from weaker sections. For most privileged people (who make up the bulk of NLU students), β€œquota students” with different accents, attitudes and life experiences often comes as a culture shock.

I, however, feel that this is an enriching experience, bringing people out of echo chambers and forcing them to look other realities in the eye, and make friends with people from all walks of life.

Good luck!"
GLC is one of the most reputable law colleges in Maharashtra. The kind of legacy it enjoys compared to any other college in Maharashtra including PGCL is unmatched.

One of the Best Advantages of GLC is the number of opportunities/ offers you get from all the Tier 1/2/3 firms for internships and jobs. Most of these firms prefer an intern who is going to work full time and stay for atleast 6 months to a year for him to deliver quality work to the firm. The lenient attendance scheme comes to your rescue here. When you start interning in your third year (of the 5 year course) at a decent place where you are entrusted with quality work based on your performance, you will yourself notice the output you can produce in half a year without still having a degree. By the time you graduate, you would have done about 3/4 long term internships/ paralegal ships and have experience in different areas which help you make an informed decision on the area of your interest.

The placement cell has done and continues to do a phenomenal job each passing year. candidates are offered positions strictly based on merit. We have about 18/20 students picked up by Tier 1s during the placement week. This number is exclusive of interns who have converted their internships to Associate, or students undergoing an Articleship.

If you're not the kind who likes internships, GLC has one of the best mooting cultures. Students are awarded points based on the moots they have participated in, won etc and then selected for a Moot. The seniors invest time training and helping juniors with their moots.