Read 74 comments as:
Filter By
When I had put my University preference list after CLAT, I had put NUJS right after NALSAR and I think that most of the students do the same. My question is why do people think that NUJS is a trashy college or not T-1? When it comes to placements, NUJS is doing great. In terms of faculty, it is probably of the same standard as that of any other top 5 (except NLS)
There does appear to be a lot of trolling of NUJS in particular. So please be warned, only non-troll answers genuinely looking to engage will pass moderation :)
Friend, there is no trolling and there is no hate. People cite an official ranking prepared by the government of India, which has clearly recognised a Top 3 NLU hierarchy. If people think that is trolling, what can I say? ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

I can also flip the allegation and say that NUJS students show a lot of hate for NLUD, GNLU and Jindal, which are younger than NUJS but ahead on many fronts.
Going by your logic only, GNLU and Jindal are way behind NUJS as per NIRF.
The person clearly said 'ahead on many fronts'. Does not mean that they are better overall.
Can't cite top 3 based on official ranking and then say that universities behind in that ranking are ahead on many fronts. That's self-contradictory.
A lot of people who come to discuss important stuff here donโ€™t admire your way of moderating. The prime example is this . To burst your bubble , hate is also spewed against colleges like NLSIU , GNLU and Jindal. Do you intervene ? Hell nah. So please for the love of god stop making statements like โ€œNujs in particularโ€ (I am even starting to believe that you belong to Nujs) and be proactive to stop hate comments in general .
Actually, I've seen the mod intervene a couple of times at least for other NLUs too. They usually respond quickly enough when obviously abusive posts are reported too. I personally don't think anyone should be allowed to troll any institution or individual anonymously at all. If you wish to criticise, then do it openly and claim responsibility for your words.
If you consider venom spewed by anonymous trolls on LI to be a representation of what 'people' think of any institution, profession or individual, then you will be mistaken. I can actually categorise all the trolls and the reasons behind their invectives, but there does not seem to be any purpose that would be thus served. Rest assured, if you do come to NUJS, every single opportunity that a law graduate may want or need will be available to you, and you won't have to subject yourself to any dictatorial admin either. Despite all the anon naysaying, the place is still going strong and will continue to do so in the years to come. That's all that can and should be said on this matter.
The college is great, its culture has taken a turn for the worse especially with the current SJA. We will all die of heatstroke soon, if you want some real info into how fun NUJS is, ask around about the heat situation in the library (our own sauna).
Seems like you're new to this site. This is hardly a big deal, people have d*ck-measuring contests about their NLUs all the time. And nearly all top NLUs have been dissed at one point or the other. Nobody really thinks NUJS isn't a top law school beyond the pointless one-upmanship on some metrics. This is hardly worth having a thread about.
NUJS often has the best placements out of all the NLUs and we belive that the students there are at times undeserving of such good placements. They have so little research work, and have a poor reputation...yet they make it to top 3-4 NLU based on the placements alone.

โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ

The increasing political interference by the TMC is also something offputting. Not to forget the โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ incident which happened not so long.

P.S- NLS and NLUD also receive a fair amount of hatred from time to time. GNLU receives by far the most slack.
Hey I definitely agree there has been some โ€œlight-moderateโ€ trolling of Nujs in the recent past in this thread itself. But to be brutally honest (and this is my respectful opinion), some noojies do engage in unnecessary โ€œplacementโ€ wars where they start justifying that only โ€œNujsโ€ (not even nlsiu or nalsar) has the best stats of tier-1 law firms . If one keeps shouting โ€œplacement placement placementโ€ , peers are supposed to get irritated . I mean folks you are third for a reason . The college does provide genuinely good placement but that doesnโ€™t amount to the โ€œbest of the lotโ€. Sure itโ€™s good but it can be better. The same goes to their facilities and faculty (emergency attention should be given to faculty) . But regardless of all , even nlsiu has its own faults . So the telling is no way justified :)
NUJS has the best placement amongst all NLUs, you can check in raw numbers (total no. of placements in t1 or TCs), % of batch placed (out of total batch strength, not the RCC BS which most NLUs haggle into), outcome in 6 months (yes, NUJS does collect this info, which only one other NLU does).

So, until other NLUs can beat NUJS in placement we can harp on this till kingdom come.
OMGโ€ฆ How many times do we need to explain to you people that rankings and not based only on placement, be it NIRF or QS? They look at faculty, research, infrastructure etc. NUJS is NOT in the top 3 if you do an all-round assessment. It hasn't;t been top 3 for nearly 15 years, since MP Singh left. So what are you smoking bro?
This is not true. NLUD still has some good faculty despite the mini exodus post-RS and theyโ€™re better than whatโ€™s offered at NUJS and NALSAR. The latter 2 mostly have faculty from local Bengali and Telangana universities. Nalsarโ€™s is still bette than NUJS, imo.
This is fake news. In fact, NUJS currently has more NLU LLB alumni teaching there then NALSAR and NLUD. As for the current NLUD faculty, nothing special compared to the other two places be it teaching ability or publication record.
Shameek Sen, Shouvik Guha, Paromita Dasgupta, Aman Gupta, Ruchika Ghosh, Anwesha Pal. These are all regular faculty. There are at least 4 more who offer courses every year as guest faculty. In addition, there are many others who have adjunct and visiting positions. I have not named those with LLM and PhD degrees from NLUs, in which case that number will easily triple. Now I invite the trolls to name all the NLU LLB faculty currently teaching at NALSAR and NLUD.
This is certainly not a bad list of NLU alumni teaching at NUJS and it seems to be more in number than at NLUD and NALSAR. But my problem with this is that all of them are NUJS graduates from LLB to post-graduation. The LLB thing is fine since NUJS is a reputed place for undergrad. But almost all of them also did their LLMs and PhDs at NUJS/in another NLU as well. This means that their institutional exposure is also limited. Why does NUJS struggle to attract people from outside the institution/outside Kolkata to teach there full-time (visiting faculty is not that relevant and all the top NLUs have them)? NLUD has NALSAR and NLS grads teaching there at the moment and in the past it had many folks from NLUJ and NLS as well. NLS, at present, has folks from NLUD and NUJS teaching there who are highly qualified. This doesn't include the NLS grads who hold prestigious foreign degrees.
That's not the case. NUJS has had alumni from NLSIU and NALSAR teach there too. Even among the people named here, there are those who have got foreign LLMs. People will keep moving for better positions unless they have got reason to stay behind in a certain city. Many NUJS faculty in the past are now teaching at NLS, NALSAR, NLUD and NLUJ. That's just normal. By the way, other than Anoop, who are the NLU alumni currently teaching at NLUD? Genuine question, not trolling. I thought after Mrinal, Aparna and Chinmayi left, only Anoop is there currently.
Dakshina Chandra from NALSAR and Roopa Madhav from NLS are teaching there. Apart from this, folks like AK Rai (a former partner at Luthra) and Yogesh Pai (UMich LLM, I think), Sophy KJ are still there and they are pretty experienced good professors even though not NLU grads (Sophy is a LLM and PhD from NALSAR and NLUD respectively).
If we include NLU LLM and PhD, then NUJS has at least 10 more faculty. Not that I'm claiming that these degrees are any guarantor of quality. Some of the best teachers at NUJS like Anirban Mazumdar, Sandeepa Bhat, Lovely Dasgupta never had any NLU LLB degree. Similarly, there are many NLU grads I've known who did not make good teachers at all. However, I don't wish to badmouth anyone, so won't name any of them.
I know that NUJS did have Sudhir, and folks like Chinmayi Arun and Shamnad Basheer teaching there but my problem was that they were all there for relatively short periods. Less than 2-3 years and almost all of them left once MP Singh left. Chinmayi and Daniel Mathew moved to NLUD, in fact. After that not many highly qualified NLU grads have joined NUJS beyond the ones named above. Contrast this with how Mrinal and Aparna were at NLUD for nearly 8-odd years and were integral to building the institution of NLUD, and also folks like Arul Scaria who was also there for some 7-8 years atleast. And, I'm pretty sure they'll be at NLS for a long time as well as it goes through its expansion plan. Why is it that NUJS seems to struggle in this respect nowadays?
There are some people who will keep moving for better options in terms of career, some who will settle down and consolidate. Till date, Daniel is the only person who moved away from NUJS to an equivalent position. Everyone else got a career filip by doing so. However, I do agree that Kolkata doesn't have the same attraction as Delhi as a city to live in unless you're willing to settle down here or already have family here.
Unless they have a major liability, all good faculty will move to where they can do their best work. NUJS could have offered opportunities for growth if it wanted to retain its good faculty. NLUD did it all through Ranbir Singh's tenure and so they all stayed.
You can't give people out of turn promotions in a public university anymore. Everyone who left NUJS went to a higher post, other than Daniel, as has been mentioned earlier.
That's just fake news. Actually everyone who came to NUJS except Daniel was offered teaching positions that they could not get anywhere else at the time. Sudhir and Shamnad got senior positions. Prabhash, Pritam, Chinmayi and Saurabh got faculty positions without PhDs or the NET.
Chinmayi was at NLUD for 6 years after which she was on leave for another 3 years but was a part of the faculty.
So was Saurabh Bhattacharjee at NUJS for over a decade before he left for NLSIU. What's your point?
He had family in Calcutta. The NLUD. faculty stayed in a city without apparent personal reasons to stay
He still has family in Kolkata. Didn't prevent him from taking up a senior position at NLSIU, did it?
Yeah, so the point remains that NUJS can't seem to hold on to good professors who are not from Bengal and/or are open to opportunities at other NLUs in tier-1 cities.
Once again, so couldn't NLUD, when it lost Mrinal, Chinmayi, Aparna and Arul.
There's a difference at NLUD. Mrinal and Aparna are married and wanted to return to their alma mater under new encouraging leadership. Point being, they were at NLUD for a very long time anyway and contributed in good measure to the institution. Same with Arul, maybe he wanted a change of scenery after 7-8 years at the same place. Chinmayi left for higher studies and not to join another NLU. Although, even she was at NLUD for a pretty long while despite not teaching regularly. NUJS has not had as many qualified NLU grads stick around for such a long time barring those from Kolkata/West Bengal. The debate was why this happens and people have already clarified.
But these are NUJS alumni, right? What about alumni of NLSIU and NALSAR? That matters more.
What's with the shifting of goalposts? So first it was only TLC people teach at NUJS, now that's been proven a lie. Now it is why NLS and NALSAR people aren't teaching? There have been such people teaching here in the past. They got better offers and left. Others will join in the future. Plenty of such alumni keep offering credit courses at NUJS on a regular basis throughout the year. Now many people from NALSAR, NLS or NUJS are teaching at NLUD now? For that matter, how many at NALSAR?
Not fake news. If anything, it is entirely false to claim NUJS has the "second-best" faculty. Most of NUJS faculty is not on par with NLUD or NALSAR, both in terms of qualification and experience.
Name and compare, why don't you? Show the qualification and publication records. As per 2022 NIRF data, both NALSAR and NLUD faculty publication records were behind that of NUJS. Teaching capacity cannot be commented upon by outsiders. So publication is the only objective metric left.
Nobody claimed NUJS has the second best faculty, just that NALSAR and NLUD aren't ahead in that metric either, which is objectively true.
No wayyy your collegeโ€™s raw figures are better than NALSAR/NLSIU , sorry
Please bring in NALSAR's actual figures in any metric including faculty publications.
OP: "Why is there so much hate about (sic) NUJS on LI."

Jindal student: Hold my beer......
LI is now filled with right wing propaganda posters. So, it is expected.
we as a community have an unhealthy obsession with the top 3. NLUD is a resurgent force which feels that it should be in the top 3. On metrics it cannot be, so it targets NUJS, which is usually considered to be no. 3, therefore, you see trolling against NUJS in the recent past. It has nothing to do with NUJS and all to do with its no. 3 position, which is what NLUD is after.
What are OP and mod saying? The real trolling is against JGLS, not NUJS. Trolling against NUJS is directed mainly against the admin and politicised elements post MP Singh --- and rightfully so.
Why would NLUD target NUJS? It's way ahead in the number 2 position even before NALSAR, and that's the case even without NIRF. Check even your dear Outlook/India Today rankings now (which initially gave NUJS their number 3 status), and NLUD is ahead. In reality, it's the Noojies who keep claiming they are better and that NIRF is useless. You can keep shouting top 3 all you want, but NUJS ain't in it anymore. I would personally consider NLUJ ahead since it has a bigger better campus and no domicile quota.
Just because the standard of colleges below NUJS in the CLAT list is even worse, that doesn't make NUJS great. This is the perfect example of the Indian legal education scenario for you.
One thing is undeniable - the student quality at NUJS is still top notch, which is what makes the institution what it is. BO'23 has 5 training contract offers from top London firms, including Clifford Chance and Freshfields who do not hire from India. There are people going to Oxford/Cambridge/LSE and such Universities. It is not just about the placements dick-measuring contest.
No one attacks NUJS students but rather the politicisation of the admin and faculty, post the TMC coming to power. This brazen power grab never happened during the Left Front's tenure. During the Left Front's tenure people on the governing bodies were men and women of great stature and integrity: lawyers and jurists like KK Venugopal, Gopal Subramanian, Dipankar Gupta and Chittatosh Mukherjee; academics and intellectuals like TK Oomen, Raja Ramanna and CR Irani. Now it's filled with mediocre people and literally an extension of the TMC's cabinet.
Good achievements but I think these achievements are largely based on alumni connections and placements legacy since TCs are also basically just placements. I think that as an institution, NUJS is still behind the NIRF top 3. Yeah, the students are great, all the tier-1 NLUs have students who've got high ranks in an all-India entrance. But the point here is that these same students would have achieved the same/similar things even if they went to another top NLU or even a place with good facilities and faculty like JGLS. NUJS' reputation helps out in terms of alumni-support and placement legacy, but that's about the only benefit NUJS offers. Its research centres are non-existent, its faculty quality and research output is questionable (although the other tier-1s besides NLS are not much better on this either), and it doesn't seem to have a very professional aura to it unlike the other 3 in terms of how it's administered.

The WB govt. itself doesn't treat it like a top institution most of the time. Point is, it's run much more like a glorified corporate placement college than a top university that is supposed to provide intellectual depth and contribute to social discourse. You look at universities abroad in the West and their focus is not simply number of jobs/graduation offers but a legacy for quality education and research. NUJS has been lagging behind on this ever since its old VCs left. Noojies quantify quality education based on number of corporate jobs which is honestly wrong.
Who told you that the research centres and faculty research output at NUJS are non existent? This is the fun thing at LI, everyone has got an opinion without having taken the trouble to do basic research. For instance, the latest national space law policy that was released by the Indian government has been drafted by a faculty member of NUJS.
I would compare NUJS with the Croatian football team. Croatia is a hard-working team that has performed well against strong teams, but at the end of the day they lack the star power and cutting-edge factor that Brazil and Argentina have. And so, despite some of performances in the World Cup, they do not generally rank in top 5 in the FIFA rankings (often not even in the top 10). Similarly, NUJS lacks the X factor and glamour of NLSIU, NALSAR and NLUD, and will thus not rise above 4/5/6 in the law school rankings. NLSIU is like Brazil, NALSAR is like Argentina, NLUD is like France.
What glamour does NALSAR and NLUD have, exactly? NLSIU may boast of alumni legacy and achievements.
Canโ€™t speak for NALSAR. Honestly, I donโ€™t think theyโ€™re that much better than NUJS. Itโ€™s just that they have a better campus and have much better PR than NUJS. But NLUD does have certain distinct advantages. First, itโ€™s in Delhi, the capital of the country and and so is well-connected. Second, itโ€™s the only top 3 NLU without state domicile reservation as of now, making it truly โ€œnationalโ€. And last, it has the potential to get better and isnโ€™t stagnating. Kind of like how IIT Delhi overtook a lot of older IITs like Kharagpur and Kanpur.
Nice one, bro. Too bad you're wrong. NLUD doesn't have a domicile quota at present. Get your facts straight. Although, the way politics go in this country, it could be introduced at any time.
Okay see I am from Kolkata , gonna join a tier 1 this year . I am telling you the perception of NUJS in the state is โ€œstudents who didnโ€™t make into nalsarโ€ , fr I ainโ€™t even kidding . I had to give the heads up else this would be marked trolling :)
Lol! What do you know of the perception of NUJS in the state? Did you conduct a survey?
And the way students behave as if they are in Harvard when they perform in invicta
So many comments but still no good answers.

Bummed out.

I want to know why can't people see nujs becoming better than NALSAR and NLUD/NLS.
Because of constant interference from the state Government. The State Government is unfortunately the most corrupt government in India right now (Look at the education scams in Bengal). It sends zero funds to NUJS every year and the administration is a puppet of the TMC.
The most corrupt government is sitting in the centre and molesting sportspeople out on the street. They don't want to fund legal education at all because then more people will stand up against their illegalities.
You make the same comment in every thread. Maybe focusing on improving Nujs
A 84-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 17-word comment posted 11 months ago was not published.