Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
Seeing lots of first year kids sharing posts by Congress supporters blaming Modi. Just a few things you guys should remember:

1. It was a BJP MP, Subramanian Swamy, who filed a PIL seeking that defamation be decriminalised. Justice Dipak Misra led a bench of the SC which refused to decriminalise it and the Congress also didn’t bother in all the years it was in power.

2. Rahul was convicted by a COURT, not the government.

3. Let’s look at Rahul’s comment. Suppose I said all Yadavs are corrupt because of Lalu and Mulayam, or all Khans are thugs because of Azam Khan and Afzal Khan. What would you say?

Finally, Rahul has the right to appeal and he will have the fanciest lawyers in India representing him. Spare a thought for Professor Ambikesh Mahapatra (Google and see who he is).
Conveniently omitting the fact that it is a BJP guy who filed this frivolous lawsuit to begin with. Typical bhakt.
You can't possibly be an adult educated male and still be that naive. By your logic, ED and CBI have been harassing opposition members solely over the past decade, since no court has convicted any of them.
Your reply suffers from a logical fallacy. If someone is arrested and then goes on to get convicted then that proves that the arrest was proper (unless the conviction is reversed). However, one cannot say much about someone who is being called for questioning and has not been convicted.
Bengal is currently under a dictatorial regime. Recently Kaustav Bagchi was also arrested for referring to a book that is not even banned. Anyone who goes against the govt is either charged with fake cases, murdered or faces other consequences. Even the local elections are not held because the TMC goons capture booths and even counting halls. There are thousand of other examples like Ambikesh Mahapatra but they are not famous/powerful enough to feature in the media.
Stop watching Republic tv and reading whatsapp forwards, man. I'm from Bengal and the scene is nowhere as bleak as you portray it.
I agree. As for dictatorial government, the central government has recently released a circular prohibiting any government official or their close relatives from criticising the government or its policies in public. Classic fascism. But of course the Bhakts will try to spin that too.
I too and from Bengal and you stop reading only the Telegraph. The levels of autocracy in bengal would put North Korea to shame.
Must be a guy from Kolkata. Go to the villages and see for yourself. Some people from a particular community goes and burns down/murders some people and the government cuts the internet connection in the whole district so that the news does not flow. Liberals will shout about what's happening in UP but will not look at Bengal where the condition is much worse. How many people were killed in the latest UP election and how many people were killed in bengal before and after the 2021 election? I am someone who has witnessed part of the violence that happens which included breaking glasses/cars etc of bjp workers after the election.
Exactly! A criminal is convicted, proven guilty and automatically disqualified by law in election and post. As simple as that, I don't understand the politics?

This wud be the same if modi or someone else was convicted too. Crime karo toh punishment milega na, unless u r president.
The difference being that the charges are only brought successfully against the opposition parties, not those sitting in power.
Is this Responsible Journalism?

https://youtu.be/gd6bW8cejAc

Follow-up question - is our opposition discharging its role responsibly by slamming BJP for what they consider a perverse order?

Rahul G had to apologize to Parliament for making a factually incorrect observation/remark. Sure, this may not have traveled to court