Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
I graduated from a tier 2 nlu and got place in one if the Big 4s.

I joined a tier 3 law firm in Jan this year after quitting my job in one of the Big 4s. Reason was that the job in Big 4 was kind of monotonous where I wasn't gaining any transferable skill, and I wanted to move to a more challenging role in core law.

The work part in the law firm was manageable, although the hours were long. I was a complete fresher to the kind of work at the firm (which is something the firm too was aware of), but I was learning as much as I could. It was TMT practice and the work is no rocket science that you can't get better at with practice.

However, the culture was nothing like what experienced in my previous job. The current firm had 12 people in total and there was no sort of mentoring and guidance that was offered, on top of the rude and unprofessional behaviour from colleagues, which made things difficult for me. Unfortunately I had to speak up against the culture once, and I had decided to leave by then. But I thought I would stay till they fire and look for another job in the meantime. The inevitable did happen today and was fired from the job for "fittment issues."

I am shy and introverted and have ADHD. But I have managed do ok all my life with that. So this does make me feel lost and dumb and not fit for work. I don't think I am cut out for law, the one subject I was passionate about my all life. I have been an above average student all my life. In my previous organisation too, I was a decent employee who had no issues whatsoever with anyone. So this has really affected my confidence.

I can't go back to working in a law firm as my mental health is in shambles right now and I can't handle the insane work culture or hours at a law firm. I have decided to take a break and subsequently switch my field.

I currently need some advice regarding the below:

Like I said, I am shy and introverted and neuro divergent, and I can't seem to deal with rude and uncooperative people, and the general culture in law firms. If there is anyone out there with a similar predicament, please advice me if my career in law is over. Should I just leave law altogether and pursue MBA? Is MBA even a good fit for me?
Hi! I'd suggest you to look into Exec MBAs (with your work ex...they'd be a great fit). The cutoffs are usually lower and admissions are more "profile-based" so to say. It'd be a bit difficult to "move out" of your work field post an Exec MBA but not nearly as impossible as everybody makes it sound.

I have no idea whether or not you should leave Law lol.
Seems to be a bad situation. Whatever happens remember that you always carry your education and experience with you. Learn from your current mistakes and move forward. Try the coursera wharton business essentials course. If you like it then you should move towards an mba. An mba without much work experience might be a waste of money so speak to an expert before you head there.
Maybe look for Business development/ Knowledge management roles at law firm
MBA is another roll of dice. You never know what job you will get into.
In sort of the same boat as you - would suggest you give law firms/ law offices another go as people are not the same everywhere, and with the right sort of culture and people around, you may be able to fix. All the best
At the moment, join any course that you feel like studying,may or may not add professional value but it be a course that will keep you occupied........yr mental health most important right now so if studying something is keeping you ok, join that MBA or whatever course you want.....first prioritised a course you like ir want ie have interest in....it could be a course in yoga or wine preparations or even zoology first priority what you like.....there will be ample courses to add professional value that can be done later