Read 29 comments as:
Filter By
Ajay Bahl said Why do these people not work with a doctor and then see? There is no concept of work from home or hours there. Imagine if doctors, the government or architects say we will work from home. We need sobering thoughts that get real, do not blow the sweet spot. Work hard. Stop cribbing and gossiping. Do not have expectations (at a young age). People ask us about weekend and work-from-home policy, what is growth. I did not know these things five years ago, or when I started. People's expectations need to get real. This is the age to work hard, not worry about Sundays."

What do you guys think about the same? Is it justified and makes sense?

https://www.barandbench.com/news/glocalisation-ai-work-life-balance-highlights-from-aba-conference-session-on-future-of-legal-profession
The same way Britishers ruled India for 150 years, same way these old-rich families"lala firms" will rule India's legal sectors for 1500 years Its open call saying dubmit to slavehood or leave India legal sector because we own it.
By denying actual demands, he's the one who seems disconnected with reality. The fact that he is ignorant of real life needs doesn't make him a better โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ professional.
Bahl speaks like a typical โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ chacha running a tea shop. This is why we need liberalisation of the legal profession.
I left law firm life because of this attitude. I now work from home for a foreign IT company as an IPR and tech law advisor. I earn 80 lakhs a year for 3-4 hours of work a day, because of the falling rupee. Weekends off. This is perhaps half of what what I could have earned at a firm, but the benefit is much less work hours, no stress and working in my pyjamas while listening to music. Also, my parents are elderly and I get to spend more time with them in their sunset years. And with my wife and and kid too. I couldn't be happier.

People warn me that a tech recession is underway and I could see my earnings slashed overnight, maybe even lose my job. Doesn't bother me. If necessary, I can apply to teach at JGLS or NLSIU, as I have the requisite foreign degree requirement. Or maybe start a business. I would rather do all that than work for a law firm.
That's an Interesting career trajectory. can you tell us a bit about how you got there?
My trajectory was as follows:

- After graduation, did an LLM abroad in all the "glamorous" corp law subjects

- Joined a top corp law firm in India after that

- Left after 2 years: realised corp law is anything but glamorous

- Reconnected with friends from high school. A couple of buddies working in tech in the US told me the tech law is the future, introduced me to people.

- Read up on tech and IPR extensively, familiarised myself with the actual technologies involved, not just law. Hung out with lots of tech geeks.

- Lots of networking and useful contacts. Married a girl who is well-connected ;)

- Eventually joined a tech company which today has grown. I've seen them from the earliest stages, so they like and trust me.
Thing is, he may be talking the gospel, but if there aren't enough believers, what good is the gospel? If not enough people are willing to work in that manner, who is going to do the dirty work of associates at law firms? AI? Better to wake up and smell the coffee and move with the times, perhaps?
Revolted by his comments - talk about going backward rather than forward
Ironically AZB noida office was one of the places which actually had work life balance (gencorp team) and really nice people
He is rude, smug and archaic in his views. And very very hierarchical. Really โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ and โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ in his approach to workplace culture. His coterie of senior partners keep preaching about his "legal brilliance" shud make up for his regressive views. Sorry, but that doesn't work. Being a "managing partner" requires more than legal skills. And you can't impose rude and archaic views on people who work with you.
He actually is a nice guy. All this hate is a bit over the top. All that colonizer, submit, slave nonsense makes it look like you could not get a job at his firm and are jealous or angry or bitter or all of the three or mix thereof.

IT lawyer who left a law firm and has a life that he enjoys has a brilliant point. Instead of foaming at your mouth, maybe do what he has done?
Paid PR of AZB....a little too obvious.Wipe out the foam from your mouth from counting all the money to spew this kind of hair as "comments" on LI.
I did not know these things five years ago, or when I started

Exactly, change with times....if we stick to his views, India would still be a backward country in 1950s....
The hate and vitriol being spewed on this post by the lowly rank and file associates is highly amusing. Bahl is completely correct. This is a profession. To the lowly associates hating on this post - I suggest you open your eyes and interact with your superiors and betters and see how much they have given to the profession to reach where they are. Going by the obvious stupidity in the comments, I shudder to think where such delinquents are employed.
The fact that you people can get that high in the law firm ladder (which really isn't that much of an achievement considering actually how vast this profession is) without having a basic grasp of logic and logical fallacies is amazing.

Just because the seniors have given their lives does not mean the juniors have to. Just because things have been this way, does not mean things have to be this way.

And it's not even impossible. It's just incompetent management by the seniors.
What perspicacity and irrefutable logic! The efforts we take to develop clients, get matters, attend to matters, feed matters to junior partners, create a convivial environment at the workplace, train juniors, pay them well and give good bonuses, look after our staff and many other aspects, requires time and effort. In the midst of all this, we also attend to our own matters and perform them brilliantly. This is why we are rewarded with more clients and more matters. I and my fellow partners ensured that even during COVID, every single associate and staff was paid on time and fully.

I am sorry to say - you strike me as an absolute duffer who is totally unsuited for the profession. God help you and God bless you.
You tell us dear. They pass your and your fellow hustlers eyes and brain before getting that job
Do you seriously think you would get into my organisation? We have excellent juniors who are brilliant and hard working. Far from the blinkered, deluded, whiny and weak specimens who have commented on this post, such as yourself.
"lowly rank and file associates"?These are the kind of people being worked for......then they say dont use words like colonizer,slave etc.
L*** Mera, these seniors are product of nepotism and privilege.

Nobody knows about them outside legal circle
Sir ji wants to pretend he is a doctor by doing a degree and a job which is not even half as hard as medicine? If sir wants the hours of doctors then sir should have become doctor. Why force the hours of a doctor on a lawyer when clearly atleast corporate lawyers arenโ€™t saving anyone from dying
Gen Z kids moaning as usual. Kids, you need hard work to succeed in the legal profession. If you have a problem with that, you are welcome to quit. Go and make your Insta reels and unboxing videos. The pay isn't bad actually.
Half as hard as medicine ? Really ? Dude any US attorney will likely to challenge your statement at this moment and as per India is concerned- we can say the same thing , itโ€™s just the awareness isnโ€™t there .
Also, a patient needs to visit hospital when he/she is ill or critical, the infrastructure for the treatment is only available at a hospital.

Whereas, you just need good wifi, a laptop/computer and a comfortable set up to work at least in transactional area.

We need something on the lines of French revolution โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ
Medical is sheer merit whereas Law is full of nepotism, you will struggle if you don't have good contacts
A 16-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 84-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.