Read 5 comments as:
Filter By
I would be a first gen lawyer, but I do come from a very privileged family that is among the corporate hotshots of India

So I’ll be completing ISC 12th in like 1.5 months and am gonna pursue law as a profession.

I have 3 broad options but I don’t know what to choose. I’d really really appreciate it if yall could help me out.

1. I’ll get into NLU Jodhpur or Kolkota with NRI quota, take that and study there.

2. Go for Jindal Law School.

3. Get into GLC/random uni, but intern a senior partner at Khaitan for 5 years full time/intern at the chambers of AM Sanghvi/H Salve/Sibal (we have family connections)

———

I think it’s important to note that as far as internships are concerned, we have quite a few good connections so I can get pretty good internships in India and abroad as well.

———

With that out of the way, I want to do an MBA post law is that a wise option? I’m presuming my resume will be good enough to be accepted into any Ivy/Oxbridge/tier 1 uni because it is that good for undergrad as well.

———

Now for my actual career path,

I have 2 things in mind,

1. The corporate law path— I’ll likely make a partner in 8-10 years, and may start a boutique firm a few years post that.

2. the litigation path- work at the chambers of some of the best lawyers in India, and maybe 4-5 years later start my own practice at bombay HC or the SC.

3. My own business, my parents have excellent industry connections in the heavy industry and finance world, so with their knowledge and help I will likely be able to start my own industry and stuff.

Ideally, I’d want to start a heavy Industry—something in shipping, mining, chemicals, metals etc. these are industries I have a family background in.

———

Could y’all please please help me out with this please? Thanks!!
I don’t feel like helping you tbh. You have all the help and connections, least you can do is apply your brain here. All the best
Bhai/ behen tere maa baap ka koi career counsellor contact nahi hai?
I would love to be in your shoes, man!

As someone who went to a 'T1' NLU and is doing decently while litigating, I would wholeheartedly recommend that you do business. That's where the real money lies. Heavy industry is also less likely to be impacted by the rise of AI.

I find transactions (corporate law path in a firm) to be really boring (especially the law side, Indian partners rarely give finance advice). Litigation is fun enough but not worth it if you have the ability to run a business at the highest level.

If you still wish to do law, I suggest that you go to NUJS over Jindal. If you do well people will forget that you got in through the NRI seats.
If money is not an issue, I would earnestly advise you to consider Jindal, because they have a dual-degree programme where you can get an LLB+JD in six years.