Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
Hi,

I am a final-year student at one of the top law schools in the country. Although I have secured a T1 law firm job, I am thinking of applying for Investment Banking/Equity Research/Consultancy positions. Does anyone have experience with the same? I don't mind starting as a trainee/intern so that I can learn the nitty gritty of the field but just looking for an opportunity to get started somewhere decent. I would really appreciate it if someone can guide me.

In India it's quite difficult for us to move to different fields while in US/UK financial institutions and firms are quite open to hiring people from varied backgrounds, I have friends who have studied Political Science and History and have secured great jobs at the top financial institutions.

Thank you. Would greatly appreciate any help.
You can’t compare the situation in India to that of UK and the US. Considering our high population, there is obviously an abundance of people who studied finance, business mathematics and statistics as a part of their MBA or even BBA/B.Com curriculum. It makes no logical sense for the institutions to hire law graduates who haven’t even done basic arithmetic since their class 12th.

If a financial institution in India is hiring PolScience or Law students, it probably means that they can’t afford to hire well trained MBA/B.Com/BBA grads. I would definitely avoid such an institution both as a client as well as a potential employee.
Register for CFA Level I- clear it and if possible clear Level II too. Apply for IB jobs then.
Try to go for M&A investment banking and not equity capital markets (more regulation, less finance), if you get a chance.
You can apply to Dexter Capital Advisors. It's a boutique investment banking firm. Can either try applying through their website or connect with Devendra Agrawal on LinkedIn.