Read 30 comments as:
Filter By
I’ve seen quite a few people from national law schools bounce back into their careers even after a 2-3 year break pursuing their passions. However, I guess the CV of the candidate counts of course. Someone with 3-4 year law firm experience under their belt can afford to take a sabbatical from a career perspective,
If your gap is right outside of college - then that's doomed.

If your gap is after some work experience - then that's more easier in getting back.

Try to get into a good first job. The brand value of your first job can help you overcome rough patches of your career ahead.
Depends on many factors. I took time off from work to prepare for UPSC, but was able to join back into a tier 2 firm after my break and then worked my way up again. Helped that I was from a good NLU and had decent grades etc.
What worked for you-referrals, cold calling or recruiting consultant?
I just reached out to close friends/batchmates/seniors asking if their teams were looking to hire and was able to arrange interviews within a week's time. Bear in mind, you won't be able to get your 'dream firm' but can definitely find a reasonable job - if you're a good candidate, obviously.
As someone who has employed people after gap years, I can tell you that everything depends on your attitude. Of course, it will be a little harder. You'll have to either have strong relationships that'll get you a job or someone who is willing to give you a break. Then you will have to adjust again to a life in which most of your time is spent working, and have patience and grace as you learn and gradually catch up with your peers (or maybe never catch up). If you can do this, the gap will be great because you will return with personal growth and confidence. However if you get insecure and behave in an entitled way, then that's what will create problems for you.
Law firms. In-house HR practices are stubbornly by the book. In law firms, a lot of discretion lies with the partner/lawyer.
My gap was 5 years. Upto age 23 I was doing Masters in my field. 23-25 - Jobless. 25 - started LLB. Graduated and got the sanad at 28.

I started my first internship with an Advocate with an office in a slum and with a total book of business not exceeding 7-8 LPA. Got my second internship in a T1 firm through a lucky break - a family contact. Stuck at said T1 Firm for a long term internship of 1 year. At the end of 1 year, they said they didn't have a vacancy.

Sat for college placements and got into a T4 litigation firm paying 30K a month for freshers. Even that I got through pure luck. Stuck at said firm for 3 years and switched with 100% hike.

I only got through luck but once you luck out it is up to you to take advantage of that.
10 years. All spent on competitive exams, LLM & PhD. Returned to litigation as that was the only place ready to accept a loser like me. Worked for 3 years & shifted to a tier2 law firm. Worked there for another 3 years. Finally in a tier1. Hated each and every day at work, working under people younger than me, who only had an advantage cause they joined earlier than me.

No girlfriend, no friends, no family, nothing left.

The struggle with every passing year is difficult. The most challenging part is getting your foot in the door. The first job is the toughest to get. If you can do that. Then the rest depends on continuously showing up to work. Each passing year gives you work exp to put on a CV and vertical climbing becomes easier as the years roll on.

In the end; in life, jobs will be lost, relationships will be broken, money will disappear, friends and family will leave you, but the only thing that stops you is death. And as long as you're alive you have the chance to change things around. So never stop moving. You're just walking slower than others, nonetheless you're still walking.

Moral: it's not over untill you say it's over.

Stay alive, hustle, struggle and only allow death to end your journey. Peace out.
Just ro put into perspective, I don't think your story resonates with others since it clearly lacks substance .Hear me out

- U must be what 30 when u started litigation after giving competative exams . A normal person can't think of delaying their career that far due to factors such as family responsibilities, ageing parents, societal pressure and if not least of all personal growth perspective.

- Also it's impractical to think that someone who practically takes a u turn on his career would make it without any contacts or support .It would mean sheer tomfoolery .

Still if you could tell more details about your journey,it would be much insightful.
With the amount of likes they've received I think their story has definitely resonated with many here, including me.

I bet he's more than 30 when he started litigation, as judiciary can be given till 35 & exams like UPSC can be given till 32 & even more if you're from a reserved category. I personally know someone who's 40 and cracked the PCS exam.

Or, I think like a lot of people they were simultaneously working and giving exams.

Also, I've seen many people crack into law firms without contacts or support. It's either their CV was really good despite the gap years or they absolutely knocked it out of the park with their interview skills. Plus this individual has work exp, that really helps as well.

Moreover, the career went from litigation>2T>1T...seen many promotion like that. So it's plausible. Don't know what you're complaining about ?!?
Beg to differ on the point of family point, family would never leave unless some jackshit is done by you
not me, my mom is leaving us to make her career and threatening to sue us if we don't pay up the alimony - all that for no plausible reason. yea, life's fed up like that sometimes.
Umm.. "leaving to make her career".. that's the plausible reason. How old are you ?
Maybe if your family allowed her to work, this wouldn't be happening. It's high time women be allowed to do what they want and be supported. Never know why men are stupid enough to go against double income benefits.
Fyi she was working before with a decent salary .You guys are awfully insolents
See, I hate u fake feminist dic**ds for rupturing the moral fabric of the society;. Just because a women is earning less or is not independent, doesn't mean she is no valuable. Your thoughts and arguments make women feel they should stand up and fight for something when there is nothing as such to speak. The real ones in need are oblivious of that crap this gen z has cooked up out of the air.It's destroying families and ruining relationships.
Hi, would u suggest take gap year after law school for comp exams? or should one first try to get a job?
First get a job, then exams. The reason not being that you're incompetent but because exams have become luck based due to the huge ratio between applicants & vacancies. It's definitely a lottery game. Unless you've had settler academic proficiency from the start or a sound financial backing, job first!