Read 16 comments as:
Filter By
I just binge watched Trial by Fire on Netflix (which the Delhi High Court allowed to be released after rejecting the plea by the Ansals to block it).

For me, one of the most shocking revelations was that a law firm partner/owner hired a violent criminal to threaten and harass the victims who complained against the Ansals. Does anyone know which law firm is depicted here? It is named in Neelam Krishnamoorthy's book? If not, does anyone know which firm represented the Ansals?

Moderator: kindly mark this featured and do not censor, as it is a matter of national public interest.
Is it possible that the firm/lawyer has not been named because the author/producers did not have any proof for saying that the henchmen were sent by the lawyer?
They actually show two Delhi law firms: one in an innocent, passive role (where the hero army man's daughter works) and one in a villainous, active role (the crooked one which was threatening the families of the victims using a thug). The first law firm is Singhania. They clearly show logo and a girl even says "Mr Singhania wants the files." The scene may even have been shot in Singhania's actual office and been a type of clever product placement. However, second law firm is not named.

I don't know which firm it was (almost certainly an A-list firm) but I searched Indian Kanoon and found the following:

- Ram Jethmalani represented the Ansals in the Delhi High Court. They show a lawyer named "Mr Vaswani" in the show, who represented the Ansals and kept pinning the blame on the Delhi electricity board. The actor playing Vaswani is bald with white tufts of hair on the sides.

https://indiankanoon.org/doc/170049965/

- Jethmalani's junior was a lady called ▮▮▮. Below is her photo and her bio. The show shows a lady lawyer appearing alongside Vaswani and rudely questioning Neelam. The actress playing the lady lawyer has a tall nose and a long face.

[link redacted]
How true to life is /does the show purport to be? Presumably they took some artistic and dramatic license, even if based on true events, right?
Why is the link censored? The lady's name is mentioned in the Indian Kanoon order in the list of counsels and one can easily search for her! In any case, that does not answer the question of which law firm was shown. As the Ansals were involved and the case was very important, it must be one of the reputed firms. So we really need to ask questions about whether the law firm indeed hired criminals to threaten the witnesses.
Law firm partners commonly indulge in such criminal activity. The owner of a well-known law firm (a known fixer) was once arrested for allegedly threatening a property developer using goondas.
Guys, please see this reddit post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/india/comments/3hp23h/i_just_watched_interview_of_neelam_krishnamurthy/

I wish our privileged law students take up such issues and agitate, instead of fighting elitist woke culture wars which don't affect the common man.
I miss the old Legally India. Kian would gave surely done a story on it and sought a comment from the managing partner in question. Perhaps the Wire can be persuaded to do a story?
Thanks for sharing. How does this guy not care about attorney-client privilege and conflict of interest? Lol
Please see this news report. Two goondas threatened Neelamji and made vulgar, obscene remarks to her. Just imagine, a suffering mother whose children died. The names of the goondas were Praveen Shankar Sharma and Deepak Kathpalia. They later tendered apologies in court. The sceptical comment of the LI moderator about artistic licence (as if such goondas were imaginary) is unwarranted. In fact, the film is actually soft on the chief goonda and shows him to be crying and genuinely apologetic, which I doubt.

So the question still remains about who hired the goondas. In the movie they show the law firm doing it. The law firm which represented the Ansals must give an answer to the nation!!

https://www.financialexpress.com/india-news/uphaar-tragedy-accused-deepak-kathpalia-praveen-shankar-sharma-tender-their-apologies-before-complainant/688623/
And guess what, one Tier-1 law firm also has its Delhi office at the same Ansal Plaza. Funny how this firm is voted as “ Best law firm to work at “ and yet has an office at Ansal Plaza, Delhi.
It's so horrible that Jethmalani uses his aura to get leeway for his criminal clients. Everyone has a right to be heard and defended, thats by the book. But trying to get leeway in his favour just because of notability is bad. Still he is revered
Ending line of TBF - '...But just 6 months later, they were released again'. That ironical one line literally summarizes that state of Indian judicial system.
J Sagar Associates operates out of Ansal Plaza, and has had a really long legal relationship with Ansal group.