Read 13 comments as:
Filter By
Hello LI community, as the title suggests, I need guidance on how switching my practice area. I have 5+ years experience in a particular area of law. While I like the subject and I am good at it I do not see a future in the this area for many reasons. I am feeling trapped now as after spending a good 5 years of my life I don't know how to switch my area of practice without obtaining a LLM in some other discipline from abroad or having any contacts. Would really appreciate if any one can guide me as to how should I approach law firms or companies as I don't want to get into hard core litigation.

I know of instances where people were successful in their switching practice area after obtaining a LLM in some other discipline from abroad. However, neither do I have the means or the inclination to study at the moment.

I am willing to give up my 5+ years PQE and start afresh. But IDK which firm or company will take me on. Franky speaking i have no knowledge in any other area of law besides the area of law i current practice in.

I am willing to learn and work hard, but IDK how to get a break.

Would really appreciate if anyone can narrate experiences of a successful switch after having a PQE of more than 5 years in a practice area.

This is really affecting me mentally as I am really unhappy in my current job and work profile. I don't know how to get out of this situation. Please help.
Tax is perhaps one of the finest practice areas and having bright future ahead.

Anyways, grass is always greener...
Direct or IDT? I may have some ideas to help you out since I just did what you are contemplating although on a different scale. I wonder how we could get in touch though from here.
We can get in tough through a neutral Email ID. I have created one which is given below

liquery123@gmail.com

Please do write to me, it will be really helpful if you can share your experience and guide me. Thanks.
Mod- please publish my earlier comment as no personal detail was shared only a neutral email id was shared you have published such comments in the past as well on other posts.
Can you tell her also how you did it? It will be very helpful for us juniors too.
beats me why someone will leave tax law practice! What makes you feel trapped? Why is it that you see no future in this area? It is one of the best paid, low competition practice areas with growing demand.

You might get into a new practice area and regret big time.
Have you identified what area you want to get into?

That's the toughest part.
I am contemplating getting into dispute resolution/commercial litigation, since I have extensive litigation experience in taxation. My thinking is that the switch will be relatively smooth.