Read 12 comments as:
Filter By
Describe incidents where u felt discrimination on the basis of gender/ colour/ ethnicity in a law firm? May not be really big criminal incident like paid lower, could be subtle ways u felt you were left out of work, or asked not to be involved due to such reasons or being shouted too unnecessarily (all shouting should be classed as unnecessary, but im limiting the discussion to those which are unreasonable comparative to shouting on others in other genders/ ethnicities), or being allotted work that could be more clerical (again most work is, but comparative to others doing cream quality research)
well yeah, I interned as a research assistant at a 'top 3 NLU' professors office. I could feel the difference in work allotted to me from he first day. Some boys 2 years junior to my batch were given much complex and quality work, while I was asked to assist them and help them around like a clerk
I have read your comments here. There are very valid reasons why important work should not be entrusted to you.
The situation in Delhi is quite pathetic - especially in litigation. Barring some exceptions - a lot of hiring/ career progression-related decisions is/are made with various non-merit-based (region, religious, and caste) considerations. If you study the cause list carefully, you'll notice that it's predominantly a Brahmin-Baniya-Panjabi cabal. If you aren't one of those (or an upper caste at the very least), you're faaaaaakt. Migrate.
I agree. The truth is that even today, many Indians, including the young in metropolitan cities, are 'caste-aware' - to the extent that they base their personal relationships on this vector. Add increasing wealth inequality and hypergamy to this, and you have a toxic cocktail to work with as a lower/ mid-caste male who could even be doing well/ on the upward trajectory- professionally/ financially. I recently saw the Sky is Pink. Watching it, sadly, only left me wondering how many Aditi Chaudharys exist in today's India for today's Niren Chaudhary!? Also - here's an open question for women moving to Delhi - what's this obsession that most of you have, with wanting to have a Punjabi/Rajput-style wedding!? Why the shame in following your culture, and your traditions? There's a lot that's irredeemably wrong in today's India and it makes eminent sense for some to quit it / immigrate- particularly hard-working boys/ men from lower/ middle castes.
Much needed discussion I was waiting to vent out

I was working in a New Delhi Firm, just a few years into the profession, mostly IP kinda work. Even being an A3 I was not allowed to stay longer in the office or be part of discussions with clients, while my male juniors were certainly there

Also I feel there is not much discussion about the gender pay gap in law firms....
I am upper class, but been from a lower economic strata - which showed in my mannerisms, dressing sense, and accent. Perfect candidate to be overlooked for client interactions, despite having very good work ethics.
You’re essentially saying you’re not getting treated according to your caste but your economic situation?

Toh aapko Ek type ka discrimination chalta hai because that would have a positive effect on your life but dusre type ka nahi kyunki it harms you?
Similar to an incident which gained lot of traction in the UK, I have also been asked a couple of times 'where are you from?' (with little malice) and told a few times 'your English is very good' (as a complement). Of course in the last few years with lots of sensitivity training these questions have stopped, however some old folk still havent got the memo.

Have decided the next time someone asks me where I am from, after giving my locality, when they persist by asking 'where are you really from?' I shall answer 'Africa, my ancestors left Africa sometime between 70k-40k years ago.'

A fellow immigrant once gave an excellent reply to 'your English is very good' complement. 'Yes, that is something we gained in 200 years', unfortunately the complementor did not get the satire!!
A 8-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.