Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/bjp-appoints-former-congress-leader-jaiveer-shergill-as-spokesperson-amarinder-singh-sunil-jakhar-included-in-partys-national-executive-3571974#pfrom=home-ndtv_topscroll

It was long rumoured on Twitter, now it has happened. He is the second high profile NLU alum to quit the Congress, after senior NLSIU alum Brijesh Kalappa (who joined AAP). Incidentally also the second NUJS alum to join BJP after Lokenath Chatterjee, who got a Vidhan Sabha ticket in the Bengal election (in contrast Jaiveer was not even given a councillor ticket in Punjab by the Congress, despite his service). The only recognisable NLU alum still in Congress. (last I checked) is HNLU-Oxford alum Avani Bansal, who is in an obscure post.

This raises serious questions about whether BJP or AAP is a better option for NLU grads and other meritorious law grads than the Congress. As was widely reported, Jaiveer was disappointed that even after chartering a private jet to Kolkata to fly in Congress leaders during the Bengal election, and even after throwing a banquet at Taj Bengal for them, he still did not get any election ticket or important post. As Jaiveer said, he is from a humble small town background and worked very hard to achieve success as a lawyer and then served Congress without reward. Why should the youth then work for the Congress?
Does he / you mean BJP offers greater financial rewards? That's indeed a serious problem in a democracy: BJP has raised so much money from abroad and via electoral bonds, no other party can compete, and as everyone knows, money wins elections (and clearly allegiances too).

Source on electoral bonds:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/electoral-bonds-ruling-bjp-bags-95-of-funds/articleshow/66858037.cms?from=mdr

When is the SC going to finish its judgment on the bonds, by the way?
Jaiveer has said: "I am a small town person who joined politics. I joined politics with the intent to serve the people"

This is the crux of the issue. There is a feeling that the Congress only promotes people from big cities and elite schools: the typical Lutyens brigade. Else people interested in sycophancy rather than service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwcIuY1D7lY
Sounds like he was looking for a safe MP ticket or a promotion and Cong had none to give? It is quite worrying when politics becomes like any other job though. Aren't you supposed to join a political party because you agree with its ideology, and aren't the BJP and Cong ideologies fundamentally quite different (other than both craving power like the drug it is?)
I joined this profession in 2009. Mr. Shergill was a junior of Doctor Sahab back then.

Going by all public accounts of his age, he had three years of practice under his belt in 2009. This man, Mr. Jaiveer Shergill, even then, wore THE MOST EXPENSIVE DESIGNER BELTS, GLASSES, WATCHES, SHOES AND CLOTHES.

Mind you - in those days, there was no DLF EMPORIO or CHANAKYA MALL (which is where you'll find Shergill Sahab loitering behind a mask). Just a few showrooms at the Taj or Oberoi.

Also - Chambers back then didn't pay more than three lakhs/ month! Doctor Sahab‘s chamber most certainly paid nothing close to that figure to any junior back then.

BY NO MEANS OR STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION IS MR JAIVEER SHERGILL, A SIMPLETON WITH HUMBLE ORIGINS.
The moment they progress with any order/ judgement, the new NJAC will be revived, it would be stayed by a higher bench, or the govt will water it down by bringing in another tough amendment/ constitutional amendment
Jaiveer's father is a senior advocate, he hardly comes from a humble background
I'm afraid I have to disagree. No politician is above the electorate, that is Bharat.