Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
Breaking news: One of the younger alum-faculty from NUJS is joining Jindal after doing a second LLM from Harvard. His LLB and first LLM were from NUJS. What is great is that Jindal is making him a professor straightaway, even though he has been teaching for less than five years and does not have a PHD yet. Talent gets recognised by those who value it. And the brain drain from NUJS continues.
Agnidipto Tarafdar. When he was teaching at NUJS with a desi LLM, used to post on SM taking subtle digs at Jindal's elitism. Now that he's back with a foreign LLM and eligible to work at Jindal, off he goes. I don't blame him one bit and feel happy for him, as he will prosper there.

The more serious question is the continuing exodus from Jindal of good alumni faculty. I blame the SJA more than the admin. The SJA is meant to be a watchdog and demand quality faculty. They do nothing of the sort .

The list of ex-NUJS faculty who left for other law schools are given below. A common feature is that they all joined during Left rule and left during the reign of the TMC govt, but the SJA refuses to address the elephant in the room. Even those who joined Jindal directly may have joined NUJS had there been a good VC and supportive government, as some of them have homes and families in Kolkata.

- Saurabh Bhattacharjee (NLSIU: joined under MPS and left under NKC)
- Prabhash Ranjan (NLUJ and SAU, now Jindal: joined under MPS and left under Bhat)
- Vishwas Devaiah (Jindal: joined under MPS and left under Bhat)
- Sudhir Krishnaswamy (Azim Premji, now NLSIU: joined under MPS and left under Bhat)
- Late Shamnad Basheer (became independent: joined under MPS and left under Bhat)
- Pritam Baruah (Jindal: joined under MPS and left under Bhat)
- Daniel Mathew (NLUD: joined under MPS and left under Bhat)
- Chinmayi Arun (NLUD: now abroad: joined under MPS and left under Bhat)

Did I miss anyone?
Plenty others.
Nandan Nawn, Rukmini Sen, Kumarjit Ray, Mahesh Menon, Balaji VS, Manoj Sinha, Anirban Chakraborty, Supriya Routh, Vishwas Devaiah, Jasmine Joseph, Shila Rai, UR Rai.
What does it take to be a Professor at Jindal exactly? This case shows that you don't require a stellar academic record, nor a list of good publications, and not even a PhD.
This is why people don't take Jindal seriously. It is alright to recruit a young academic, but giving them a Professor's rank without them having very little work experience and not even compensatory achievement means that you're just diluting your professorial posts. Compare this with Sudhir or Shamnad, who were also young when hired as Professors, but had substantial reputation as a scholar already by then. I have got nothing against this chap though, he's not responsible for Jindal's hiring decisions.
▮▮▮, JGLS has not officially named him as a professor. It's unclear what position he holds as of now and my guess is that it won't be that of professor (▮▮▮). In all likelihood he's an assistant professor. Doing two LLMs ▮▮▮. ▮▮▮