Read 23 comments as:
Filter By
The thumbs up emoji is patriarchal and kinda boomer. Better, cooler and more gender-friendly alternatives are:

๐Ÿคพโ€โ™€๏ธ ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™€๏ธ ๐Ÿง—โ€โ™€๏ธ- Go for it/getting to it/working on it

๐ŸŽฏ - Correct/You are right

โญ๏ธ - Great/awesome
Wtf what does patriarchy even mean โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ. Itโ€™s not just a word you can use to describe anything you donโ€™t like!
Was that sarcastic? It is quite hard to tell ๐Ÿ˜†

Controversial opinion, is namaste / thank you emoji even more pass-ag and uncool? ๐Ÿ™
Namaste emoji is not patriarchal like the thumbs up emoji, but it is uncool from overuse. One can use ๐Ÿค
Sigh. Everyday itโ€™s like these kids make up new rules on the playground. Oh I think that emoji makes me feel like youโ€™re being passive aggressive. Oh your use of these big words makes me feel intimidated. Oh when you use small ones I feel condescended too.

Can we stop letting these silly people tell us what to do? You can have your feelings- no body else is required to walk around them. And if you have these many feelings about an emoji- thatโ€™s a you problem. Communication is as much about what that person said as it is about you getting out of your own head and listening.
Are they actually 100% serious though? Half the time I feel they're just trolling boomers by making them feel insecure about their place in the world (which every new generation regularly does to their elders, whether it's Rock n Roll or punk or the hippies, or Gen X slackers or whatever).
I mean itโ€™s even worse if theyโ€™re not being serious and trolling. Using language that talks about trauma, calling things toxic is a serious thing. If itโ€™s a joke itโ€™s just a bad one that further demonstrates how all of this is not actually about becoming better more sensitive people but really about coopting any trauma narrative that might suit them to their own purposes.
Lawyers then: engaging in cases of constitutional importance, formulating innovative arguments such as the basic structure doctrine.. etc

Lawyers now: Deliberating the use of an emoji on Legallyindia
Yes. Many of these so called "woke" Gen Z'ers are unable to find jobs or stick to them because they want everything laid out for them. A bunch of whiny ass freeloaders if you ask me.

Let the downvoting begin!
I'm am older Gen Z (b. 1998) and sometimes I want to disown my generation. This emoji fiasco is honestly much ado about nothing
Came across this article on my TL. What I find surprising is that Gen Z considers even ending a text with a full-stop as passive-aggressive. I guess every text has to end with "..." now. But it's tough because we have been taught since school to end sentences with a full-stop and it's ingrained into us.

https://katiecouric.com/lifestyle/emoji-meanings-etiquette/

โ€œPeople from younger generations are trying to avoid the thumbs-up emoji as they see it as passive-aggressive and a low-effort response.โ€ Having been on the receiving end of many a thumbs-up text, the reason it feels like such a slap in the face is that itโ€™s basically on par with a โ€œKโ€ text. Or, God forbid, ending your text with a period.
Look at this dude just now realising that language, gulp, evolves! Oh no!
Gen Z is merely following adlerian ideas of non-manipulation.

Adler would have you not even say 'Thank You' because in his worldview that's a manipulative act to encourage someone to keep benefiting in like manner for the sake of the recipient.

Calling a thumbs up emoji as toxic is in the same category for it is seen by Gen Z as a manipulative act by those in power and entrenched positions to keep having Gen Z work as their subjects.

Now it's a mindset issue. Gen Z is raring with destructive energies to take over the previous generation's roles by somehow believing that previous generations were unfit to assume such roles. It's coming from a lack of experience of real world realities and the extremely comfortable and safe environment in which they grew up, where they were encouraged to voice themselves out.
A 28-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 32-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 31-word comment posted 9 months ago was not published.
A 122-word comment posted 7 months ago was not published.