Read 26 comments as:
Filter By
I don't mean boys and girls sharing the same room (even though that happens abroad). What I simply mean is girls on different floors and boys on different floors (with girls-only and boys-only toilets respectively) but inside the same building, rather than a dedicated girls hostel or boys hostel. Why can't we have this in India?
Because of the objectification of women that still exists in the Indian society. Girls won't just feel safe. With valid reasons.
Even cross-access, as is practised in Ashoka from what I've heard, could be a huge step forward. Having girls and boys in the same hostel is probably not infrastructurally viable atm because the hostels have been designed in a particular manner (like the outlay of toilets for instance).
Cross-access was also a thing in the early days of Jindal, but was changed after a few years because apparently some parents were complaining. Not completely sure about the last part though.
No. And your comment reads like a sarcastic/sly remark, which is really not called for in a sexual assault case.

Regardless, this was much before that. That incident is from 2014-15. Cross-access was a thing in 2009-10 and the thereabouts.
They started in imitation of the Western model, realised that it won't work with Indian teens and gave up.
Who is trolling? Why are y’all so damn sensitive . Have you considered I’m an SA survivor myself ? Honestly what is wrong with you folks. Get off your damn high horse. I was just asking a question. It would make sense to me given how bad that case was that it would provoke admin to tighten their belts on this stuff.

For what it’s worth I think it is worth it to have gender segregated spaces on campus. Peoples comfort levels vary and if you don’t make room for that in a country like ours you’re not the kind of progressive you think you are. Some ideals are not worth sacrificing the bodies of women for.

I don’t want to live in the same building my abuser does. Call me whatever backwards names your Twitter politics says to.
A lot of assumptions there. No one is calling you any names, lol. Almost everyone here agrees with what you are saying about the need for gender segregated spaces. I was only pointing out that the tone of your comment was really not appropriate given the facts.
Nah boo. You don’t get to turn it around on me and say my tone wasn’t appropriate because I asked a damn question. You’re the one making assumptions about how sensitive or otherwise I am.
If the tone and language of your question seem more like sarcasm or trolling and less like a genuine question, people will make assumptions about you.
But you’re assuming the tone! You’re so defensive about your uni or sth that you didn’t think for a second it could be a genuine question.
??

Who even called you sensitive?

People here are just pointing out your tone is not proper for a sexual assault discussion.
But this approach dismisses the fact that residents of the boys' hostel can sexually harass or abuse other boys and same with girls
Most parents won't feel safe sending their 17 year old daughters to far off place law school with a co-ed hostel.
Did you see what happened in one of the girls college in Delhi recently? Boys scaling the wall and the gate.

Indians aren't ready yet for co-ed hostels, I'm sure a fair bit of us are but do reflect back on each person you knew in law school. You will have your answer.

In my college we had a group of boys who were known to be less "gentlemanly" and proudly so. They were in the minority but enough to deter any thought of co-ed hostels.
A 6-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
When you have headlines starting with Jindal Rapist.. the question kinda answers itself doesnt it?
Foreign law schools aren't on lands where "arranged marriages" are the norm and dowry is the convention. India is light years behind with regards to 21st century gender equations, notwithstanding the pretense of modernity
We have co ed hostels in Iiser mohali(no entry restrictions) and everyone feels safe.
Everyone here is yapping about India India regressive regressive, but what about colleges like IISER Mohali and some IITs like IITB which have/had co-ed hostels and cross access respectively?