Read 21 comments as:
Filter By
How is P&A law office's Competition Law team ranked in 2022? Would it be a good place to start if I am interested in Competition Law?
Its an ok place to start but you must shift after an year. They don't have many clients.
The attrition rate at P&A is quite high and it's highest in this team. No associate lasts here for over 8-12 months.
They pay relatively well β€” 12+2 after your trainee period - and have a decent reputation. However, their work culture is known to be extremely toxic β€” in the past two years, a huge chunk of their lawyers have left β€” from A1s to PAs. If that wasn't enough, their biggest client was Amazon, which they're on the verge of losing post their colossal mess in the gun jumping case. Apart from that, they primarily work on pointless abuse of dominance allegations in FMCG markets and handle relatively easier merger regulation matters.

As someone who's worked with the team in the past, I can testify as to both β€” SG's legal brilliance, as well as his tendency of pushing the hardest deadlines on to you. As such, to some, all of the above may be tolerable because of the learning you get; but in the eyes of a good number of people who left, the stress, work-hours and micromanagement was not deemed workable.

At the end of the day, it will be your choice, and I'm assuming that bigger and more famous competition law firms - S/CAM, Trilegal etc - are not available to you. However, if you have any other more famous opportunities w competition law, you should take it.
Bhai aankh band karke SAM chala jaa aur aankh kholke Sarvada/C&M chala ja
As a lawyer who has worked on the other side of this competition team, I did not find the lawyers to be competent enough.
Not a good place to be. The contents above have been hyper inflated. Many left the team in months because of toxicity. Many ex associates were asked to come back. All refused.

But its peculiar because everyone thought that SD is the one who manages competition team and SG is managing corporate team.
P&A despite all its criticisms does have a solid top heavy competition team with SD and SG leading it. Further the freshers are thrown right into complicated matters so that kind of exposure is great and most other firms don't give such opportunities.
At the same time - growth stagnates after a certain level/years of work and the work environment can be very toxic. Therefore the attrition rate is extremely high.
I would still recommend freshers right out of college to give it a shot since you will be made to work on matters of substance in the first few days of joining itself
Ah, today is a good day to revisit this thread. Another day, another iconic mess from this team. ;)
Yep, MMT. 200 crore penalty over arguably a defendable case. Effectively, in the past 4 months, they've lost as big as they could have in both of their biggest cases. Facepalm
A 26-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.