Read 26 comments as:
Filter By
Why should everyone draft and use English in law firms? It is time we get over this colonial hangover.Our PM never speaks in English. Why is there so much elitism in law schools and Tier 1 firms.
apass mei local language hi chalegi !
Partner aayega tabh bas yes/no/sorry/ i'll do it, in only most cases
Tell me you're a Northie Parochialist without telling me you're a Northie Parochialist
International counsel ko samajh nahi aayega aur fir paisa ka sorry bye bye
levels this site has fallen for this post to be approved lmao
and yeah considering we have borrowed mostly all laws from the UK and All laws are drafted in English first and then others, its not wrong
And yes many are weak in Hindi, definitely the southies, and there are too many...idk why people want Hindi to be used everywhere, when English is much widely used.
practicality > useless childish politics
Nuvvu telugu lo raasko ra, English enduku? evvaru aaperu ninnu? Mana desamlo enni bhaashalu unnayi telusa be neeku? Google chesuko ra, dongasachinnoda. Deenni kuda translate chesko be. Nenu hindi lo contract rayanu, nuvvu telugu nerchukuni contract sign cheeyi.
Maine aaj tak Telugu nahiin padhi, aur na hi dhyan se suni. Par na jaane kyun, ye comment 80% samajh aa gayii
The PM is beyond the prism of macroeconomics and can do whatever he likes. Randos such as yourself on the other hand are pretty much dictated by what the world wants you to do, including using a language that your international clients want you to use. There, Hopefully now you have a bit more clarify about your place in the world and the extent of your influence in it.
Write that post in a language from the south and north east and then we can talk.
We use English. The English doesn't use us.
Clearly you feel less than and this is why you feel the need to post such drivel.
bhai mereko nhi aati telegu, tamil, gujrati, bengali, marathi aur punjabi. Hindi aati hai lekin sabse hindi kyu bulwaun?
angane para muthe.. nammade shroffum mangaldasumokke ini malayalam samsaarikkatte
Laws are first written in hindi and then in english in the gazette. It is high time SPAs are drafted both in Hindi and English. Also, Hindi has an edge over every other language as it is a official language as per the constitution. South Indians should make an effort to learn and promoting Hindi as an official language is a mandate as per Article 351.
Yes, please ask your firm's managing partner to implement this. Or better yet, the next time you draft something, draft it in Hindi. Even better if its a South Indian client. You can share the draft in Hindi and also cite the constitutional mandate to advise the client to learn. I see a big bonus in your future. Congratulations!
This is the best advice one can give to #12. Please report back on how your utilisation of Hindi goes. I am ordering some popcorn.
It's such a useless practice. 90 percent of the people who read these gazette notifications, scroll past the first half.
I've even found errors (not just grammatical ones - ones with implications) in some of the Delhi gazette notifications.
The use of Hindi should be promoted in India and it is high time, we phase out English in contract documnetation in India.
Why? What's so great about Hindi as a language? It is not my mother tongue and I find English to be a much better and useful language compared to Hindi. There is absolutely no reason why I should have to use Hindi.
Lol; clearly the constitution of india and education in general has not permeated [...]. It is high time that these people that want Hindi as the language of the law and contracts are given independence from India.

Translation: Aap bade C ho; aap jayen, apna Hindi desh alag banayen. Baaki saare pradesh jo Hindi nahi bolti hain, unke bagair toh aap ghanta kuch kar nahi payen hain. Aap mandir-masjid, hindi-angrezi ka khel khelte rahen. Aapke pitaji to mubarakbaad zaroor dein, unka aulad bsdk nikla hai.

Mata pita ko charansparsh, aur choti behen ko mera pyaar.

Also:
https://m.economictimes.com/markets/stocks/news/devolution-of-taxes-its-north-vs-south/amp_articleshow/63478023.cms
All North Indian languages are derived from Proto European languages. Sure, Hindi has the sway in a large part of the country, but it is a language that is based on Sanskrit which was based on the language spoken by Central Asian people or Aryans (depending on which theory you believe) who came and settled in India. English is spoken in India because of the English invasion. But English is also an official language and we have made it our own. Even the formal English that we use is peppered with Indianisms. I dare you to find the word 'prepone' in the King's English. So rather than seeing this as a relic of Britain, I think we are now colonizing English. It gives us advantages in making us more employable, allowing global trade more easily and in making us more attractive for investments from across the world. It is our soft power and I see no good reason to give up soft power for linguistic chauvinism. If we want to be truly Indian, why not speak Tamil since it is India's oldest language and the ancestors of Tamil speakers were possibly the original inhabitants of India? I have no bias towards them because I am somewhat North-ish but logic would demand that.

As for the law, having laws in English makes it easier for practitioners from across the country to practice the law. Why would you want to add a stumbling block to people from one region to practice the law that is applicable to all?