Read 20 comments as:
Filter By
The SJA seems like a group of vc loyalists. Certainly fail to represent the interests of the students. Thry held the meeting in a week where most students were leaving. Real concerns were not even raised
If students cannot be bothered to stay back at the university till the holidays actually start, then that is hardly the SJA's fault.
It's not. Many students books trains and some trains are not available daily, actually some are available on weekly basis. The official notice from registrar told no one will be allowed to stay beyond 30th and in past they have imposed fines for staying during holidays. So students naturally started leaving 25th onwards
Rubbish. Plenty of students stayed back till 3rd even. You would never even come to the university if you could help it.
But that's been the case for ages, dude. A simple compromise has been reached with the establishment: give us easy marks and attendance so that we can get law firm jobs, we will overlook your shortcomings. Do you really think the students would like a VC like Sudhir, who recruits alumni with foreign degrees? Professors who actually know something about their subject, insist on attendance and implement a bell curve system of grading like they do abroad? NO WAY.

It's a myth that the NUJS student body is politically divided. Everyone is on the same page regarding this.
However, I feel that one area where the SJA can do something about is addressing the lack of cleanliness on campus and abundance of mosquitoes, at a time there are lots of dengue deaths in Bengal. I have no hopes of campus modernisation, but at least some regular cleaning and disinfection should be done.
I dont know how they let the use of an innova crysta by the vc pass just like that. Questions about source of funding for the vehicle must be raised. It costs at least 20 lac. They should get it clarified if its a government allocated car or was it purchased from the University funds. I suspect the latter because the car has (in a very embarrassing manner) written VICE CHANCELLOR NUJS all over it in the largest possible manner and also has a flag of nujs in the front (similar to what flag staff from the armed forces do).

Spending 20 lac on a vehicle must not be allowed to pass when the uni literally fails to provide any basic services to the students. The mess was almost going bankrupt with a mere 100 rs left in its credit line. Dont even get me started on literally any other basic service. We were not served proper food while the vc purchased a luxury car (if it was from uni funds and the car was not allotted by the state govt).
Forget the car. The basic question the SJA overlooked was how he got appointed VC in the first place. The selection process was a total sham executed by the TMC. VC Vivekanandan, who was clearly the better candidate but was overlooked.
A. The state government never allots any vehicle to the university, since it is not a state university, nor are the people working here government employees. There is hardly any car allotted to the VCs of any NLU that is not in the same range. That is in fact the only decent car that the university has of a total of three. Sending a Swift DZire to pick up distinguished guests does not really look good.
B. The mess has been run by the students themselves for the last 15 years at least. So the responsibility for expenditure and accounts rests with the Mess Committee, not the administration. Please get your facts checked. The administration in fact subsidises the Mess expenditure. I agree though that more oversight needs to be there about how the funds are being used. Students in charge over the past few years have shown that they cannot always be responsible or even display integrity with others' money, as have some of the administrative members. The student fees towards mess can and should be increased too to maintain or improve quality.
C. If you are seeking fiscal accountability from the administration, far better issues exist. Such as the obscene amounts spent on litigation year after year, or how some of the construction like Room 328 never seems to end, or those that do break down within a few months like the hostel washrooms. PWD does an extremely bad job despite charging high price, yet the university keeps on hiring it out of a fear of having to call tenders. There was a point of time when the SJA and the GB used to address such matters. Those days of course are long past now.
D. If you think that the current SJA cannot ensure that basic issues concerning the students are being addressed properly, them impeach the current office holders and elect a new SJA that can do so. Even better, stand for election yourself and make things better. What's the use of crying here anyway?
SJA is completely pro establishment. The students didn't elect the right candidates in election. Past SJAs were revolutionary. Current sja just wants to keep admin happy by inviting the vc and registrar to random festive celebrations, multiple special meals and ensure a photo op with VC, behaving like he's some sort of celebrity. I'm 2nd year student and am actually pissed looking how sja literally supports admin and accepts VC's stance everytime where he blames the procedural regularities for infrastructural delays.
Moreover most teachers give easy marks and extra attendance, so students be happy with them.
The comment about the Innova is very important. But I would like to ask why not file an RTI?
The students need to pay more attention to improving amenities and academic standards, instead of cancel culture and woke ideology.
You don't need a GB meeting to protest against corruption LMAO. Hold a protest, go to court, file an RTI. At JNU and JU they lock up admin and gherao teachers, and here people are such meek little mice that they wait for GB meetings!!!
Unnecessary attacks on the SJA. The present office bearers are very sincere and honest, much more than any previous occupants. The SJA can't do much if students themselves don't take interest and make everything political.
Most useless of all GBs too. Only anon mails and LI comments can be expected from it, nothing actually effective or useful.