Read 7 comments as:
Filter By
Just want to know everyoneโ€™s opinion on the arguments being raised, on the courtroom exchange, and possible outcomes.

Sincere regards
Hijab is a sign of patriarchy. The Quran is being distorted by fundamentalists. I stand with the women of Iran and the liberal Muslim women in India opposing hijab.
But women arenโ€™t opposing the Hijab- women are in fact supporting the right of a Muslim woman to choose how to express their faith, which includes the choice to either wear or not wear the Hijab.
Justice Hemant Gupta's comments were often hyper-conservative and patriarchal. He even said something along the lines of "tomorrow these girls would want to wear dresses/minis to college".

???

What even

How is that unconstitutional -- or forget even that, how is it wrong and something to avoid as a society?? Women used to wear whatever they wanted in back in my Uni. I'm sure that's the case at most NLUs as well. What does dressing even have to do with education, my lord?
It is in times likes these that pretentiousness of indian liberals is truly exposed. Their inconsistent positions on domestic socio-cultural issues, especially over last few years have turned many โ€˜centristsโ€™ towards the other side. Remember sabrimala? When women devotees were saying they donโ€™t want to enter the temple but the โ€˜systemโ€™ said otherwise because it would be step backwards? Yeah that. Just because you want to drown, does not mean you will take a whole group with you. It does not matter if the girls want to wear hijab or not, it cannot be allowed because 99% of women wearing it are not doing it by choice. Again the Indian liberals think they are fighting some great war but are actually being used by the Muslim fundamentalists. If the court actually allows the petitioners to wear hijabs, it will just be used by the โ€˜moderateโ€™ muslim families to impose hijab upon young women - โ€œsee, even the courts are saying you should wear itโ€.
You seem to have got a weird notion of freedom. Freedom means that I should be allowed entry into a temple provided i want to, regardless of whether other women want to enter or not. Same thing goes for hijab. If I want to wear it, I should be allowed. If i don't want to wear it, then I should not be forced to. It is really as simple as that.
I stand with the brave women of Iran. I do not stand with the PFI fanatics.