Read 20 comments as:
Filter By
STEM 100% any stem degree would be better than this- get a btech from any shit college and the world is yours
Also, the transferability is good so you won’t have to chart out your whole life at 18-20 unlike in law
No, parents are wrong. Because lawyers and just as important as doctors, scientists and economists, if not more. Doctors, economists and scientists have a brain but no heart. Lawyers have a heart. Will victims of racial injustice and human rights violations go to engineers or to lawyers?
Engineers. Cause they can actually fix a problem at a Macro Level. Lawyers exist by fixing problems at a micro level. So we have an incentive to make sure the problem still exists at the Macro level.
Who are these parents? Mine wanted me to study law instead of medicine, science and economics.
There are lot of parents who are happy with their children studying law rather than science. Mine were.
Studying STEM is much better than studying law. Nobody has heard of NLUs in India other than a small circle.
I know many people who have done BTech/BSc courses from unknown private colleges. They then went abroad for their masters in science or MBA: US, UK, Australia, Canada, etc. Today they are working for top companies abroad. If I guide my children I will advise them to study STEM and not law.
Depends actually. If you're looking for a corporate career, then the law is quite limiting. The only pathway is corporate law (SCAM/AZB/TL/KCO) and foreign firms of a similar nature. The latter requires a fair amount of hustle to get. On the other hand, STEM is easily flexible. Foreign jobs, visas are all easier (in fact, you are actively pursued). Plus, the pivot to general management is an accepted and usual pathway (directly out of college, or through MBA). So if you're looking to pick a stream to get a private sector salaried job, the law is not an ideal choice.

On the other hand, if you want to actually practise the profession, the law is leagues ahead of STEM. At a chamber, you're a true professional making your own clients, matters, etc. Adjunct professions like politics, civil service, and judicial service are all well linked with the law (both the practice and the training). Same holds true for academia, the law offers a unique bedrock for political theory, sociology, and such. This is in addition to traditional law teaching. Further, related spaces like policy-advisory, think-tanks and such crave lawyers since that's the only under-graduate degree that equips people to meaningfully contribute to those fields (other disciplines require masters-level work; if you do a masters in ID/MPP etc, you are an even greater asset).
the question is framed incorrectly, it should have been [middle-class] Indian parents etc. etc.
How about not advising at all? Let him decide for himself :)
For the sake of answering, I believe it's all about how we perceive things to be. You'll find a huge LI crowd saying that they would've been better off pursuing engineering and in reality they couldn't even solve post-matrix level mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics. I'm not saying that they are dumb, it's just that they were gifted with a better skillset in what they do. I bet any STEM guy would p*ss himself while practicing law if he's not gifted with the required skills.
Seconded. And I can say from my experience at a tier-1 NLU and a tier-1 law firm, that the LI crowd that usually praises STEM cluelessly aren't really good lawyers themselves. Usually wouldn't have achieved much at law school either since their public speaking or writing skills (which is key for almost all co-curricular activities) might not have been very good. So, they carry around the resentment of having chosen law and keep hyping up science.
What everyone should study now if they want to go abroad easily:

1. Engineering
2. Medicine
3. Pure sciences
4. Mathematics and statistics
5. Economics
6. Flight school (pilots)
7. Hotel management
8. Cooking
9. Fashion designing
10. Nursing

NOT law.
the question was about sending students to study law, not send them working abroad?!
how can you infer abroad from that
It all depends on which law school you went to. NLSIU is a world-famous brand and you should not have a problem walking into a firm abroad. NALSAR and JGLS degrees comes a distant second but still has brand value overseas. But for the rest it's a hard climb.
This was a completely misleading opinion, for the benefit of the uninitiated. None of these three places allow graduates to easily walk into any foreign law job, as evident from the fact that not more than 1% of their graduates manage to get such jobs every year. Similarly, they provide no additional advantage that other top NLUs like NUJS, NLUD don't provide. In the case of JGLS, the name recognition is much lesser in fact.
NLSIU is a world famous brand? What are you smoking, boss? You can say that for NYU, but NLSIU? LOL.
Allowing a child to study their interest is the right way towards parental guidance, rather than forcing them to stick to a subject that isn’t their interest. With proper discussion about interests, one can understand the genuine interest of their child. For Example, if your child is interested in law, it has various diversions under one primary subject. You can guide them about promising futures in the field of interest by sharing how they can stand out from the herds of professionals. In India, everyone is looking for a patent, and only a lawyer can help them attain one. Plus, it is a good-paying career that allows one to become a significant contributor to the economy. Every brand needs a legal guardian, and a committed professional can contribute by offering the right pathway to the brand. Parents need to educate themselves about a variety of career options that are less competitive and have a handsome salary for the betterment of their child’s future.
If children don't have the aptitude for STEM, then it is still better to send them to study hotel management than study law. You can go abroad pretty easily.