Read 12 comments as:
Filter By
Please share your horrible experiences (if comfortable) with your boss in a law firm. Someone might get the courage to face similar such situations.
Let's call my ex-boss Gopsy. Gopsy is known in the office for being nice and caring and all of that but deep down Gopsy is a manipulative asshole. Gopsy does not like bonding among juniors at all because Gopsy is insecure that they might gang up and beat him up. LOL! The chances are very high if the juniors ever come together. Anyhoo to achieve this agenda, Gopsy micromanages every aspect of the team. Gopsy loves to play favourites- so two people in the same band will get treated extremely differently basis his whims and fancies- with something small such as seating arrangements, to something huge such as one junior does not even know how much their assignments are being billed for and consequently cannot question why their appraisals are bad inspite of working so hard. Gopsy is likely to target the newest junior in the team mostly because the others have learnt the tricks of the trade and keeps looking for opportunities. Gopsy's team is like quick sand, where each member only knows certain aspects of a transaction and only handles that- and hence they do not even have the learning after working for 5 years in his team which makes it so much harder to move. Gopsy does this intentionally- like making a bourbon biscuit, one person knows how to make the biscuit and the other the cream and the other puts sugar on the top of the biscuit while the next places the pieces together- so technically although the biscuit is made- none of the individual could make the whole biscuit because they don't know how to. Once you reach the 5 year limit-Gopsy realises that keeping you in the team is going to cost more money when they can simply hire someone at 1/5th of your salary and start the process over. In this way- retirement at Gopsy's team comes every 5th year- where some individual leaves the firm with depression, anxiety, a completely hollow person with zero self worth and self esteem wondering what they did wrong. Gopsy continues being nice to members of other teams but karma has seen it all. And someday Gopsy will get it all back. Fin.
Karma doesn't work. I know one such gopsy who kept shouting and howling non stop. But nothing went wrong with him. He finally managed to make a family also, after years and years of trying. The world is built on bullying and domination. Subtle or overt. Doesn't matter.
This was ages back when society did not accept bi's
I was naive and innocent and many things didn't strike me immediately.
I worked in an organization that mastered in scams, officers went to jail and company eventually shut down.
My boss as many people noticed and told me was a bi. In those days bi were not acceptable in office. He suffered a personality disorder and was aloof from office crowd.
He was frustrated and removed all frustration on everyone. I was the softest target and I suffered the most.
Apparently bf gang at the top position in company got him the job
But it was bad
When I told my partner that I was having severe chest pain and needed to go to the hospital, he called me in and spent 10 minutes discussing a current transaction.

When I got to the hospital emergency, the doctor on duty recommended an angiography and an immediate transfer to the ICU. I notified my partner of the situation before I was wheeled in.

I was later informed by my wife that he had sent a team member to the hospital the next day to check whether I was really in the ICU and had been badgering her constantly by calling on my number (since I had mentioned that my phone would be with her).

You’ve got to really love such priceless gems!
I had horrible fever for about 5 days.

On a Friday evening I told my partner that I may not be coming to office the next day, (we were in the middle of a transaction closing almost.) because of this fever.

My Partner says, "try coming in tomorrow", I submissively say unlikely, "you will be working from home no?" I say I don't know.

I didn't work there long after that.
This sort of conduct by your boss is atrocious and highly improper. Work life balance and health should be our priority. If you cannot manage work life at all times atleast your health is something you should be bothered about. If your firm, organization or boss do not bother about it, just look for another opportunity and kick your job. Your firm or organization can replace you but your family can never do it.
many years back when I just started by in-house career; my boss Head of Legal used to sit at a different location and I had two people to report to. Functional reporting to Head of Legal and locational reporting to the Head of the location I was based at. My functional boss was a gem of a person always supportive. The locational head was equally the opposite. Things like leave and reimbursements used to be handled by the locational boss. But he during his absence used to delegate this work to another senior at the location who was again known to trouble everyone. Once I had to opt for a 3 day leave due to my wife's ill-health and certain health check-up. Locational boss was away so I went to this other fellow with my leave note. He put a lot of questions and ultimately signed off on my leave note. I attended to my wife those three days and doc advised surgery. At home I planned all logistics and I went back to work on the second day though I had 3 days of leave. After I again put up a leave note asking for a weeks leave, I informed by boss in the legal dept he was fine with it and he also said I can call him for any help. The locational boss asked me to leave the leave note with him and never signed it. His Secretary reminded him more than twice but he didnt sign off and left for his vacation. So I again put this note before his delegate, this fellow said I will not grant leave, he went on arguing and was talking too much. I lost my cool I told him clearly, if I am not available at office any of my colleagues from legal will take care of my work in my absence but at home it has to be me and no one else. I further told him, whether you grant leave or not I do not bother, if you want to intiate action for unauthorised absence it is open for you to do so. This chap called up my boss in legal and gave a big complaint. My boss (the real boss) called me and said just go home and take care of things there, take two weeks of leave instead of one week. I went on leave and came back. I got to know by boss stripped the fellows at the location all powers they had and a circular by HR was issued that all functions shall just one reporting line that is to their functional bosses and folks at the location will not have any supervisory or managerial role over people from different functions. This was a radical change.

Today I head a team of 11. Be it work from home requests (prior to years before covid struck) flexi work hours, leave or whatever, I never let my team down. If I see them not adhering to proper work life balance I take them to task. If they do not work properly I pull them up (which rarely happens). I am happy because my team is happy my team is happy as I am happy.