Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
I'm a final year BA LLB student at a well-known private university. I received an F-Grade for a course in my 3rd year as I was absent for the end-sem exam for personal reasons. I couldn't appear for the re-sit exam in my 4th year as I missed the deadline to apply, and now it seems like the worst mistake I've ever made. I can now only take the exam in December and then it would probably take a month or 2 for the result to arrive and the F-grade to disappear. Owing to the pending F-grade I was barred from participating in zero day placements; I've enrolled for Day One placements but I feel I have few hopes of being considered by firms with that F-grade on my transcript. Apart from the F-grade my academic record is fairly decent. At the same time, I've secured an internship with a Tier-1 for Jan 2023 and, potentially, another Tier-1 for December 2022.

What are my options for getting placed now? Should I be aiming for a PPO at my upcoming internships, and would my academic transcript cause any problems in getting a PPO? Alternatively, is placement at a T1 or T2 possible after graduation or in my final semester (i.e. after I've taken the re-sit and the F-grade disappears.) I'm ready/ looking forward to working my arse off on publications, moots, etc. in the time I have left.

Any suggestions/advice/information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
SAM especially places high value on grades, so perhaps have moderated expectations from that T-1 firm.
Work your ass off at the internship, F grade notwithstanding. You will pick up skills, learn new concepts, chances of being mentored by smart people would increase. Who knows what translates into a job in the future. In the larger scheme of things, this F grade is a blip.
I had average grades and a back yet I got 3 T-1 firm offers. In my interviews, 2 of them asked me about my grades, and they noticed that my back was the only "negative" on my CV, and everything else was great. I explained that my circumstances were such and such, and outright lied about some situations (truth is that I got complacent for 2-3 semesters and simply did not have enough discipline to get good marks). I felt absolutely horrible and hollow after telling my concocted lie in 2 interviews, but the fear of not being able to secure a job was even worse, so I was able to get through it. Besides, its a dog-eat-dog world in the legal industry where there are very few quality jobs and insane nepotism. I am not sure if they bought it and how much it affected them, but i was able to get these offers. Most important is that I was at a T-1 NLU. I am not sure about the hiring attitude regarding private colleges, but if your CV is otherwise good then as long as you present yourself well and speak well, the firms can overlook that.