Read 7 comments as:
Filter By
Hi guys. So I had posted this thread a few months ago: https://www.legallyindia.com/convos/topic/225443-confused-lawyer-looking-for-a-change-ip-amp-tech

Just to sum up, I'm a lawyer working with an NBFC and I want to switch to IP, media and technology. I have about 4 years of PQE. My preferred location is Mumbai. I've applied to several law firms since then. I've applied to pretty much every major boutique IP firm but no luck so far. I've come to learn that the HRs at law firms, or any other firm or company for that matter, are completely useless. Sure, their inboxes may be flooded with job applications 24x7 but they should at least have the courtesy to reply with a rejection email and give us some closure. I don't know if anybody has even read my application. Applying to the email ID on the website almost never elicits a response.

I've read on other threads that cold-emailing partners or connecting with them on LinkedIn helps. Can someone please give me some insight into this? How effective is this in landing an interview or a job? And what if the partner's email ID is not available on the website or if the partner is not on LinkedIn? Should I mention to the partner that I've previously applied to the HR? What if they just redirect me to the HR?

I know that's a lot of questions, but please help. Thank you.
Recently I mailed two partners of a particular practice area for associate role. (trilegal). Followed by application portal of website. I received a call next day and my interview was done, a day after. Though the interview went a little shaky; I'm waiting for the result.

I wrote many papers on the practice area, I applied for. Also done some major side projects on it.

Idk the actual reason for getting shortlisted for interview, but now pretty much sure, they read application.
Find a contact dude. I’ll be brutally honest. Ask your friends, family, seniors from law school and such. You’ll be amazed at how smoothly things run if you can get someone to nudge a law firm on your behalf. Another problem is that a few firms don’t take freshers in the IP area so be prepared to start from scratch as an A0.
I'm prepared to start from scratch as an A0, so that's not an issue for me. I've tried reaching out to IP firms through a couple of contacts here and there, but it hasn't helped much. I'm trying to mail partners directly since that seems to produce results. Even though I don't know them and they don't know me, I'm hoping the partners can at least offer me some guidance and point me in the right direction. It's a long shot, but I have to try.
hey can you just tell me the result you got after that emails ? Does it works ? As I have heard from many that in such cases firms reject the applications immediately without giving a shit. I have applied in many firms general corporate dept. to join as freshers through proper channel but have not heard from any of them.