Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
Tier 1: SAM, Trilegal, AZB (established names)
Tier 2: Chandiok, Khaitan, CAM,
Tier 3: Sarvada Legal (primarily into competition law litigation), JSA
Because of recent departures, not able to mentioned Luthra, who otherwise should be in Tier 2.
Lol Khaitan and CAM cannot be put in the same tier as Chandhiok. Good enforcement mandates but Chandhiok isn't really known to do much merger control work. Also questionable whether Trilegal and SAM can be put in the same tier.

The good quality Luthra partners have gone to DSK so you can write that instead.

Alternate opinion for the OP accounting for work cultures and client quality, both:

Tier 1: SAM, AZB, CAM and Khaitan
Tier 2: Trilegal (Good mandates but team culture..), ELP, DSK and JSA
Tier 3: Sarvada (interesting work), Chandhiok, TTA (special mention for TTA work culture but they're not large players in terms of volume), Saraf (a bit of a gamble since they're trying to build up the practice) and Touchstone
Tier 4: Luthra (after the exits) and P&A (Amazon is their everything and work culture is beyond terrible)
Can testify as to P&A's toxic work culture, but I wouldn't say that Amazon is their everything. Last I heard, they were handling some of the most important clients in the OTA, e-commerce, app stores & FMCG markets, in addition to working on some potentially seminal appeals.

Personally I still feel that it's an intolerable workplace, but I wouldn't put them below Touchstone or Sarvada in terms of interesting work.

Abir definitely does good work, but I've never seen him represent anyone but informants. And while that's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm not sure if that is looked very highly upon if your plan is to eventually jump ship to a T1.
Firms are always toxic. PIC of Competition practice is the most toxic of the lot. Lawyers who are delivering good work to clients and doing well for themselves are stooges of PIC/senior partners. But surprise surprise, lawyers with terrible drafting, terrible analytical skills, terrible professional attitudes are not toxic. Bro/Sis, enjoy the game of hopscotch. Hopefully, you will find a non-toxic firm. Because last checked on LI, T1 to T10 and their partners were all T Rex level vicious or worse Indominus Rex.
Sarvada and Chandhiok. Gaggar doesn't do much of competition law these days.
TT&A
Chandioke
Mind you, usually competition law is a very niche practice and is usually practiced by tier 1 firms because they handle big ticket mergers.
How is the work culture, and pay for the Competition Law team at Saraf and Partners under Akshay Nanda Sir?
Yes, agreed Sarvada Legal is quite good and upcoming firm. Hard working bunch who read their brief thoroughly. For me, the best firm to work with and good matters is KCO....
I was looking at the present thread and looking at some past threads whenever competition law is discussed, apart from the names of bigger and established firms come up who are doing some amazing work (like Kco, SAM, Trilegal, AZB , C&M), Abirs name does come up in some form and his work is scoffed at because he represents primarily Informants and not enough credit is given to his team for that reason alone.

I am aware that the firm has done some cartel defense work in the past, but the point is that why do people demean a lawyer when he does work for complainants .

All the big giants against whom Sarvada may have filed the information in my view are represented by multiple big tier one firms both in India and internationally and i do not think representing against him would be an easy job. I saw him argue against Gopal Subramanium sir in the Amazon matter before the Karnataka High Court and i felt he was quite good, and effective. Its a young firm trying to make a mark among firms which are established, top tier, having deep pockets and sizeable teams. It cannot be easy, perhaps the firm has not reached a stage to pick and chose matter due to being a start up firm. Why mock their choice??? whats the issue if Abir represents Informants..

Now, whether Sarvada Legal makes it to Tier 1 in the future is something for the future....can we all predict the future?????are there no big firms in the West who go up against big tech giants....
My best wishes to Sarvada!! May you shine more! But in case if you yourself are author of this comment then a word of caution - success in getting an investigation started against any platform in current environment must be taken with a pinch of salt.