Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
So I was rejected by a notable pe/vc firm after my interview. When is it appropriate to reapply? I responded to my rejection and asked if it is appropriate for me to reapply however they did not revert.
If they have "formally" rejected you, then I suggest 1 year at least.

Spend the 1 year by working in a very small firm where you will get an insane amount of exposure but the clients will kill you with work. You are their extended legal/business team, and they will suck the blood out of you, but the positives:

1. You will be involved in each and every state of a PE/VC transaction right from the pre-term sheet stage to the execution of the definitive docs,
2. You will get to talk to clients directly, they might even allow you to handle clients on their own,
3. Learning is immense, since you wont get to delegate work to others.

How do I know this?

Because this is what i did. I started with a very small B&F setup where only 1 (extremely passionate partner) was working with 2 other junior associates. We would get yelled at everyday, work, then he would feed us, he even took care of our rent at times when things got tough! He was the best guy I ever worked under. He would get mad frequently but go out of his way to teach you things. Got groomed very well in 1 year. He offered me a 10% partnership of all the deal that he made, but I decided to move on to a T1.

Do not understimate how much one good boss can teach you. Focus on getting a good boss, job lagti rahegi dost.
hey, is it possible for you to disclose the name of the place? it sounds like a great learning curve. I hope this doesn't come off too strong. Thank you regardless for this interesting comment :)
The reply is a polite way to discourage you from reapplying. This is my understanding. I could be wrong though.
You applied. They interviewed. Then, they intimated you the rejection. You responded with a when can I re-apply? Like, right there and then? Are you the sort of a guy jise naa samajh nahi aata? Have you grown up on firm ki na mein haan hoti hai? Dude, you have issues!
So, I think my question wasn't thorough enough.
1. It was an internship application and interview.
2. I acknowledged my rejection and then a week later asked if the firm would entertain a fresh application 6-12 months later- if that would be appropriate.

I understand they have rejected me- but I believe, especially, for internships the system is not that rigid considering there would be a 6-12 month period between the rejection and fresh app (if I am to send one). I have had family and friends (non-law) reapply after a 6-12 month period for jobs they got rejected for after interviews hence, believed this to be appropriate etiquette for law firms as well.
The first step after a boilerplate rejection is to ask for feedback, be polite and ask where you could have improved etc.

only when you get the feedback you can reassess and think of reapplying

the general rule of thumb to reapply in a rolling applicaiton process is around 10-12 months after rejection
I was rejected by every tier 1 initially - and today am a partner in a tier 1. Life is long - as long as your focus on work and yourself and get work in line with your career aspirations at a smaller place, you will be comfortably taken in at a later date as they are always short of good, experienced people. Best of luck