Read 23 comments as:
Filter By
Started with something between 40 - 45k under a senior. In about 8 months, earning between 55k-65k.

There's no drafting, cannot take independent matters and no briefing others, but the exposure to top tier work and learning to be methodical is good. But this can't sustain you in the long run.
Sorry bud, don't think LI has any functionality for messaging discreetly, and as much as I wish to be of any help, I can't share personal contact details here. If you have any suggestions for me to reach you, do suggest.
PQE 3+

My senior was paying me 25k/m. Was there mostly for the office environment and the fact that I was allowed to take up my own matters. Ultimately my own matters started taking a bulk of my time and I left that office. Now I'm making somewhat more than what I was making working at that office just from my own matters (fifty percent of which are pro bono).
How do you deal with the stress of dealing with pro bono clients ? One always has to walk on thin ice with them and be sure to give the same hard work that you give for your paid briefs, otherwise they may feel insulted. I have had pro bono clients turn up on my doorstep and abuse me for agreeing to an adjournment, for example. Also how long hours do you work per day and how do you deal with neck/back issues that invariably arise with reading briefs/books ?
You have to treat all your clients appropriately, regardless of what they are paying you. The word of mouth matters.

If a client attempts any such stunt such as abusing me, the brief needs to be returned immediately. The client clearly does not have faith in me, so please kindly f-off - I'm not here to please them for free. What needs to be established (and this is with all clients, but especially with pro bono briefs) is that the client needs to respect the lawyer, and we are not here to dance to their tunes. Our duty is to advice and make their best case in the court. Anything else, please find the door. In short term it hurts, sure, but the respect matters in the longer run I feel. The moment this element of respect goes away, the clients start treating you badly and you cannot command a good fee or respect.

I don't have a record of how many hours I work, frankly. Morning to afternoon/evening is court, after that work in the chamber, after that get home, take some rest, and then work again till the work ends (or the day does).

As for the neck & back issues. I wish I had a solution. I try exercising regularly and that helps, but it's difficult to stick with that schedule.
With now PQE 6+, making around 37-40 lakhs per year. Bill realisations are obviously an issue, though.
Could you provide some more information. It would be very helpful for youngsters.

How did you start?
Which chamber did you join?

Thank you!
Why would you say that? What is there to lie anyway? Call it luck, maybe? But yeah, I did use my family connections to get some good clients right off the mark. Won't deny that.

I am a 1st gen practicing lawyer, and honestly had I not been making it this much..I would have just gone back to my previous Tier-1 firm.