Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
Without giving too much away, I have 10 years PQE, but I have never worked in a law firm. I now have two job offers before me:

1. 3.5 lakhs a month in hand for 100 hours a month for an LPO. The is work outsourced from a reputable organisation abroad. I can work from my family home, which is in a tier 2 city.

2. A law firm job in Mumbai for a higher salary for full-time work

I want to know which I should take? Genuine advice and trolling please! Here are the pros and cons I see:

1. Pros and cons of LPO job:

Pros: WFH, zero rent, lots of savings in a tier 2 city, work hours are just 100 hours a month, freedom to do other kinds of legal work if I want, working with bosses from abroad who seem nice and friendly, I can spend time with friends and family, learn a new hobby.

Cons: Stigma of working in an LPO, not the same as working in the parent institution abroad which outsources the work, probably limited career prospects in the long term.

2. Pros and cons of law firm job:

Pros: Higher salary, more prestigious than an LPO, working in a fancy office, living in Mumbai and chances to make contacts, probably better career prospects in the long term, chance to experience the law firm life

Cons: Even though the salary is higher the rent is very high so savings are lower, work hours are demanding and no time for other things, lots of negative comments from people working in law firms.

So far everyone I have spoken to has advised me to take the law firm job, since there is such a stigma against people working for LPOs.
Not related to stigma but take a decision based on the revenue drivers three years from now. A law firm job (given your 10 year pqe) will give a lot more stimulus for a move elsewhere even if you're tired of the law firm life. That jump will be significantly more valuable that your move currently.
I think that unless the LPO job really hampers your career you're leaned towards taking it which is fair enough.
Don't we all strive towards peace of mind in life?
Doesn't matter if it's in the context of financial peace of mind or social peace of mind. Sukoon is the end goal.
I think if you take the law firm route, you might regret it in the later part of your life that you could've done so many things with your friends, family, children, etc. I genuinely think that if I as an aspirant see myself being in a position where I could be spending time with my family that also in my hometown with a more than decent income, I'll consider my life as a success :)
Tag: https://www.legallyindia.com/convos/topic/231468-Roadmap-To-Success-A-Myth-
LPO job any day! Save money, earn financial freedom and do whatever gives you joy in life (even if that means practicing law in your tier 2 hometown)! External validation is transient and adds no value to our inner peace and quality of life!
Consider the LPO if you can channel all the extra time you get into a side venture and more income. If not just consider your life priorities and what aligns with your plans for middle age.