Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
Hey, i graduated from a middle tier nlu last year. Since it has been more than 14 months since I completed my degree will I be able to get into any law firm or not? I check on LinkedIn and other job portals and apply almost everyday but I have not received a single reply to this day.
I was preparing for govt exams but I won't be able to continue that because of financial reasons. Also, I don't have any corporate work experience as all my internship were in Litigation. Please guide me as to what should I do now. With every single day passing by, i think doors are closing for me.
I know my words won’t mean much but all I can say is hang in there. Things will definitely get better. Trust me. Just see it from larger perspective, when you will be 60-65, you won’t care much about not working for 1 year. Keep applying for anything and everything diligently and you will get your big break soon rather than later. I went through same ordeal as you and I got my 1st proper job, a year after graduating. Remember, this too shall pass.
Apply to a third-class law firm which has a practice area in common with tier-1. Work there for a few years. Gain experience. Switch.
This is quite true. Start at a place that is Tier 3 or Tier 4. In two years, you'll be able to shift as an A0/A1 at a Tier 1.
2 years ? I've been 3 years at a Tier 3 but all the offers I get are from other Tier 3s only, albeit offering a raise.
This. Specially tons on Tier 3 firms have a roaring Arbitration and DRT practice. The pay is shit but it will open doors.
Ignore this thread for a while as I don't have a solution . Now decided that atleast I can give Hope and correct perspective .

1. Please understand that there is job crisis. It's Hunger Games / Survival of the fittest. Welcome to reality check.

2. Please know that law is a very specialized field . STEM fields have much much more job opportunities.

3. Please note that you are from NLU (a better institute) with infra , economy and society of a developing third world country primarily dependent on agriculture.

In short, its not you. Its just that your degree is not readily marketable (yet).

4. Please stop comparing your life with everyone else in live-in / getting married / their 'vacay pics' . You would not take a knife and cut yourself. Why do that with your heart? Why abuse yourself emotionally ?

5. Please ignore the 'rat race' . Yes some people achieve so much when so young. Yes we all want best job with best pay and with best home life with our best person. Well, too much to ask for . Accept and let go .

point 5 is not meant to discourage . Acceptance does not mean that we keep hand in hand and sit. But just trying to goad you into 'non-attached work' . You just try - take a break and try again.

Hope you do best. I'll be cheering for you. keep me in your prayers this evening. I am struggling too.
Ashlesha
Bhai mere, join a chamber and work for peanuts if you must. Get some experience and start working pronto - at lest you'll build some skills and not fall into a deep depression. Law firms aren't the only place where law is practiced.
An empty vessel makes much noise. Most of your classmates knowledge is introduction to the subjects be it economics, IR , Polity , Laws. Not of much use. So relax.

What you can do:-
Gain competence in your field. It may be Corporate law , it maybe to become an IAS , commercial law etc. Be specific and narrow down your choices.

Let them show off. Let them make noise. You focus on class and mute your colours. Be a sponge and absorb. Read and write dailyfor 3 hours in a device free environment and dont tell this to anybody. Just you, your thoughts, your study and your goals. Happy reading.

Ashlesha
I was in the same spot and hence, can speak from experience.

My family financial background was very weak. Somehow I acquired an education loan to study in a mid tier NLU. I was a good student, academically as well as extra curricular wise. However, I did not plan my internships strategically, which I feel was due to lack of guidance in career. By the time I reached 4th year, I had no internship in law firms or any 'notable' organization. I was being rejected by firms mainly due to unimpressive internships. By the end of 5th year, several batch mates got placed at tier 1 and 2 firms and companies and got admissions to foreign universities. There I was, with nothing to look forward to after graduation. On top of that, the repayment of education loan sent me spiralling down in anxiety. I could sense the dismay of my parents who I have to support financially. Hence, even though I want to clear some government exam, I can't afford to take a gap year and prepare for the same.

After graduation, I remained at home and kept mailing HRs, partners, SAs and reaching out to people on LinkedIn. Even appeared for interviews in 2 firms but got rejected. Still persistently applied elsewhere.

There are some options you available to you:
1. Apply for a role of research associate in research organizations, think tanks, NGOs. You may not get much but you will have experience to build your profile. Try for WFH to save money.

2. Apply for the role of writer or editorial positions in EBC, Live Law, SCO and the likes. Live Law requires correspondents in High Courts. Try for that role.

3. Apply for research assistants at your State Legal Services Authority/District Legal Services Authority, Law Ministry and other ministries of State Govt, other Govt bodies. Call them up. Government websites have phone numbers listed.

4. Join a chamber. Do you have your seniors or acquaintances practising in your city? Reach out to them. You won't be paid initially most certainly. But at least get to know the process. This experience will be counted.

5. You want to earn but none of the above ways worked out? Start as a content writer . Freelancing may be tough. Instead, get in touch with people/organisations preparing CLAT materials. The minimum pay is Rs 20 for each question. LikedIn has so many posts regarding this. Everything is remote work. You will get enough time to study for Govt exams as well. Since you are a graduate, coaching institutes in your city may hire you as a faculty. This is an amazing opportunity.

Hope this helps!

P.S.- I am working in a company now and earn well enough to support my family and still build a corpus of savings.
Brother don't get upset, I was there where you are right now. Connect me over and I will try to do my best to place you. My email - singhrockyy931@gmail.com
A 10-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.