Read 21 comments as:
Filter By
Hi, recently there was a thread posted by a failed judicial services aspirant from Delhi. It inspired me to join legallyindia and post this thread.

I had broken education (one break after 10th ) then I did B.com and then L.LB and belong to Tier 3/Tier 4 district, say Bhopal/Ranchi and the likes. I prepared for Judicial Services for many states since 2017, my first semester of law school (I am batch of 2017-2020). Post Law School I worked in district court since March 2021 under a civil lawyer. Work Culture was toxic , no pay and it was 10 am to 10 pm. I could appear for Judicial Services only 2021 for HJS , RJS and in 2022 for MP. I could not clear Prelims. My age is a bit more due to my broken education. Anyways in this thread I will pour out my thoughts on preparation for Judicial Services and then making shift to corporate. So , I wish to shift to corporate now but dont know how and seek help and insights.

Actually preparing for Judicial Services is a double edged sword in present context due to following reasons :-
1. Syllabus - Judicial services focuses in criminal and civil laws . No corporate , No labour law , No IPR . Just this time Delhi Lower JS and Higher JS has added a few IP Statues in statutes like Designs , Patent & Trademark act. So , Judicial Services aspirants often dont know much about company law , due diligence , IPR , Labour Laws.

On the
Hi, recently there was a thread posted by a failed judicial services aspirant from Delhi. It inspired me to join legallyindia and post this thread.

I had broken education (one break after 10th ) then I did B.com and then L.LB and belong to Tier 3/Tier 4 district, say Bhopal/Ranchi and the likes. I prepared for Judicial Services for many states since 2017, my first semester of law school (I am batch of 2017-2020). Post Law School I worked in district court since March 2021 under a civil lawyer. Work Culture was toxic , no pay and it was 10 am to 10 pm. I could appear for Judicial Services only 2021 for HJS , RJS and in 2022 for MP. I could not clear Prelims. My age is a bit more due to my broken education. Anyways in this thread I will pour out my thoughts on preparation for Judicial Services and then making shift to corporate. So , I wish to shift to corporate now but dont know how and seek help and insights.

Actually preparing for Judicial Services is a double edged sword in present context due to following reasons :-

Judicial services focuses in criminal and civil laws . No corporate , No labour law , No IPR . Just this time Delhi Lower JS and Higher JS has added a few IP Statues in statutes like Designs , Patent & Trademark act. So , Judicial Services aspirants often dont know much about company law , due diligence , IPR , Labour Laws.

On the flip side we have crammed major civil and criminal laws . But they are not much of use. So the only option is to either find :-

i A paying senior counsel in HC or SC[/i] - I wish to work under the likes of Janak Ji Dwarkadas , or Raj Shekhar Rao . Since I am not from an NLU or Delhi or Mumbai , It is doubly challenging for me. I am trying to track juniors of Senior Counsels and ask them if these stars of Bar pay anything to juniors. I am trying. I will have to pay for rent , and other expenses. So , I dont know how can I land myself in a seniors chamber.
i Work in Disputes resolution Law Firm [/i] - Here starts the trouble . Most Law Firms dont pay heed to Non NLU grads and disputes resolution law firms are very less in number. No one is doing ''traditional Vkalat'' these days as money is meagre.

2. When we focus on Judicial Services , especially from Tier 4/5 law college - we dont focus on internship. I recently joined linkedin and seeing legally india threads. I am shocked to see how people strategically do internships for PPO and law firm jobs. We did not know anything. We were locked in a room and focused in judicial services preapration , mugging up case laws and sections. Trying to make format of essays , current affairs.

3. Now you know what CV looks like - B.com , L.Lb , no internships , Tier 4/5 city and same level of law college. Kindly help or give some insights. But yes, I was 2nd in state university in law. I have many things memorized and I can argue well. That is my only positive .

Much obliged.
Koi bata do kuch... Aap log toh bade college me padhe hai.. corporate wagra me kaam kiya hoga... Kuch ideas...
continue in courts,if you are still interested in judiciary,continue preparing for exams and give your best.
Appreciate your candour and sometimes we all need a break in life.

Drop an email to hr@stlaw.in.

My HR team will take it forward.

Best
@cheerup for how long i have this opportunity open ? I dont have a professional photo and cv right now. I will email you once ready. I do have a linkedin .. can we talk over there ?
You are a working professional and you don't have a CV or photo that you can produce within 24 hours? It may sound harsh, but maybe you should consider that your current plight isn't entirely due to lack of opportunities.
Too quick to judge. You dont make a CV when you miss judicial services by 2 marks.
Bhai/Behen ye kis baat ka attitude hai? If you are looking for a job, your CV has to be ready before you start asking people for any sort of help.

I am the OP who originally wrote the post that you referred to in this post of yours, and even I had my CV ready to go. I applied to 300+ offices (yes, that many), I didnt get a callback, I talked to recruiters, that yielded nothing positive, even the seniors working in Tier1, Tier2 couldnt help. That is when I came here to shop for opinions.

You cant expect people to help you out without putting in the necessary legwork yourself, the years that are lost, are gone, those wont come back, but develop professionalism, that is extremely important. Do some homework first.

A (supposed) partner at corporate law firm offered you an interview and you refused. See how that looks? You clearly stated that you wished to move to corp (transactions I presume) and now you have doubled down refusing a chance to interview, something that I would personally kill for.

Bade ho jao bhai/behen. Aise kaam nahi chalega.
You make a CV when you have left or are leaving college to start a professional life. If you don't, then you are not a good professional. Simple.
People do get into chronic stress and burn out . I used to reach office by 9 am and leave at 10.30 with no pay. RJS prelims and Haryana Prelims was scheduled in November. Had to stop going to court give my attempts . A lot goes behind closed doors dear. Not many are into ''CV'' building especially when they are changing paths. My linked in still not updated with certificate or medals.

Who knows, they lost a parent in covid and it took a toll on them ? Who knows, how they survived covid with no income ? I would not have posted questions here if I had known importance of CV and internships. I would have climbed the ladder of corporate much quickly. It takes a whole village to raise a child. People in my city just dont know about it. Thanks .
Sorry, none of that is an excuse never to have a CV. Regardless of your career choice. Especially after you have been through law school. It might be a bad CV, or not an updated one. But not to have one is on you and nobody else.
Some free-ki-advice here:

1. stlaw.in might just be a domain for their email ID, and they may not have a website published. Because it does appear that the URL stlaw.in exists, just that they do not have the website.

2. You don't really need a photo on your CV. But do have your CV ready ASAP, if you're serious about getting into corp (or even joining chambers at Tier-1 cities).

3. Just contact the person on their email ID, with your CV, professionally. Repeatedly commenting here instead when they have asked you to contact on their email may not appear nice - but that's just my personal opinion.

All the best

(I'm not @cheerup, just random)
Thank you for your time . Yeah, Court went to dryclean yesterday, I am making a good cv and one professional pic. mann nahi hota ab corporate wagra dekhne ka..
Bar or Bench. Nothing else. Once a bare act/case law person, always a bare act/case law person. :)
Drop an email. I'm travelling on work this week but I'll have my team set up an interview next week.

Best
I am thankful to you. After gining information about lawfirms , I think corporate is not my cup of tea. Will try to practise in my own district.
Hi - very difficult to get into tier 1 or 2 law firms for corporate. Try joining a smaller law firm for litigation and try slowly shifting to corporate. Large law firms will not hire due to the age and lack of qualification. But if you are willing to persevere there are no limitations in this profession
Yeah. samajh aa gaya . Should also have focused on building a CV and internships - not just judicial services. Kaafi loss ho gaya ab toh. dekho kya hoga.. will work hard in practise in my district. I anyway dont know anything about company law or arbitration etc
Thanks to legallyindia community. I wont check this thread again . Wish you all luck, health & happiness