Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
While preparing for jee, like many others I was in a constant cycle of depression,
"What will happen if you can't crack a top college?"
"What will happen if nothing works out?"
As a way out of this, i started looking for alternative careers and law fascinated me. Thus, after wbjee, i stopped my jee prep and started preparing for clat and ailet, solving dozens of mocks every week.

Now both wbjee and clat results are out. According to my ranks, I'll get electrical/instrumentation engineering in jadavpur university through wbjee and National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata through clat.
Now, I'm at a crossroad, confused between engineering and law. Already let nujs pass because of this dilemma. now after ailet results out, I'm really confused as to whether I'm doing the right thing or I'll have to regret later.

On one hand there's the college that I've been dreaming of since childhood and on the other hand there's the college which most law aspirants dream of.
My ultimate goal is to do an mba from a top iim.

Also, noone in my family is a lawyer so litigation is out of the picture, if i choose nujs I'll have to go for corporate law, which though very high paying, has its own set of negative rumours.
And as for passion, i don't really know if I'm a "science" person or an "arts" person, kinda a bit of both.

Could really do with some advice here.

Admission in nlud has a hefty price tag and i don't really know if I'm comfortable wasting
that kind of money if only I'm to leave later.
Stop.

Take engineering ffs. JU is cheap as dirt and the placements are really good. A good number of JU grads are in IIMs. Given your aptitude I am sure CAT would be a cakewalk for you.

Save a year, Save money for IIMs instead of wasting it on an NLU, get a respected degree from a very reputable college.

It's a no brainer.
Please take up engineering if you like science. You will contribute much more to the society as an engineer than as a law graduate. Jadavpur University is an excellent place to study engineering. Also, you may do 3 years law course from NLSIU/ IIT-KGP/ JGLS (or JD in USA or LLB in UK) after you finish engineering, however, the opposite i.e., studying engineering after 5 years law course is not possible.
Friend, you MUST choose BE/BTEch/BSc at JU instead of law at NLUD. I know 6 science/engineering grads at JU and each of them is in the US today. One of them did a master's from the US and is in a senior position at Apple. Two others got full funding for a PhD in the US and Germany. Another one got a full scholarship for an MBA in Canada and is today working in a top investment bank. Even if you want to do an MBA from IIM or UPSC, a STEM background will help you crack these exams. Why waste your life and work for a desi law firm or advocate? Please do NOT make the mistake of chucking a STEM degree from a good university in favour of law.

And just Google for "Jadavpur" and "Rhodes". You will find lots of Rhodes scholars from JU, far more than any NLU. Remember also that JU was designated as an Institution of Eminence (along with the top 4 IITs and BITS). The status was withdrawn because the WB govt said that the central govt must give all the funding, but irrespective of that it still shows JU is considered to be in the A-league of STEM colleges in India.

One disadvantage is that there are not many girls studying STEM, but to make up you will find lots of girls in JU humanities :) And they are much nicer and kinder in their attitude than NLU girls.
Jadavpur. Offers more opportunities in India and abroad, more money with better work environment (compared to making money barely enough for sustenance in a metro city like Bombay, that too after working in extremely toxic law firms for 14 hrs a day). You'll be better equipped for an MBA after engineering from Jadavpur. And frankly, you yourself don't seem too convinced about Law. You found an alternative in Law because you were worried about not getting into a good college through WBJEE. Now that you've landed a good engineering college, sticking to law for your initial reason doesn't make sense.