Read 44 comments as:
Filter By
Just read that Gautam Saha along with a large team is moving to TT&A. Suppose they will set up their Delhi practise. Any idea which other partners moving with him?
Crazy.Just Crazy. How long till someone writes a NDA style blog about AZB's downfall
All this happened two days after the managing partners made this statement - The firm’s structure has stayed the same for many years and it has worked very well, its managing partners say.

Source: https://lawgov.org/law-firm/will-indias-new-era-sever-its-old-power-structures/
Here is recent article on law.com on the big Indian law firms:
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/67043170/will-indias-new-era-sever-its-old-power-structures-law-gov

There is some quotes from AZB though it shows that the AZB leadership doesn't give a damn. Incidently this page also has the pdf for NDA blog as a recommended document.
What happened and why? This has to be the biggest move. Left with his whole team including partners under him.

What’s cooking at TT&A? Curious. Major asset acquisition for them
TT&A is very lean machine with near zero HR, BD or training focus. Senior associates are responsible for anything that goes wrong. Junior Partners have very limited market exposure. I wonder what Gautam Saha’s entry would change.
AZB & Partners Senior Partner Gautam Saha is leaving the firm to join Talwar Thakore & Associates (TT&A) to head its NCR office. A large part of Saha's team is moving along with him. Saha's team has about 11 partners and it is understood most of them are moving along with him. Some of the partners moving include Sachin Mehta, Amrita Patnaik, Pallavi Meena, Heena Singh, Dushyant Bagga, Swati Chauhan, Nikhil Bahl.
This is huge - 12 Partners moving out. Looks like TTA is new Trilegal now.
Stalwarts like Gautam Saha, Sai Krishna Bharathanan leaving ? Whose next ?
Can some AZB partner please explain how bad it really is? First there was an exodus of associates and now partners. Is AZB the only firm actually reducing in size?
i hear from the grapeviine some movement at EP team levels at JSA and KCO also? is this true?
What’s happening at AZB? 13 partners lost in 3 days. This also dents Ashwath’s image massively given one of his last partners, barring one, has now left.

What’s wrong with the firm?
My 2 cents, feel free to ignore:

(i) JPs in AZB are treated miserably and very little attention is paid to help JPs grow into EPs. They are glorified SA's, same is true of most law firms but I think AZB really struggles with this.
(ii) Existing EPs could be leaving now that succession plan for Delhi & Mumbai office may be being discussed. AR in Mumbai, but who in Delhi AK, HS, SA.
There is no succession plan as neither Z nor A will retire :) Other partners will have to retire eventually or quit except those very close to MPs like DK in Mumbai and VK in Delhi.
Well I had a party at my place last weekend, and a few friends from AZB, including a few JPs, were present. From what I understand, and this could be drunk JPs talking, JPs at AZB are generally unhappy with the position they are put in the firm. Terrible time to be a JP in AZB. The management seems to be thinking that it has done a favour by making them JPs and now treating them as slaves, not even with market standard pay, is ok. Thats why I guess the moment JPs are finding an alternate ship to move to, they are grabbing the same. Be it moving with an existing EP or by themselves, attrition at JP level in AZB seems to be a reaction to their internal position.
1. TTA is known to be a office of Link laters in India. As a formal Best friends relationship till indian markets open.
2. On its own TTA would not have the ability to hire and pay for a 40 plus team of lawyers of which atleast 13 are partners with big packages.
3. All the junior partners wouldn't just leave azb brand to go to an unheard of TTA
4. This means Linklaters has hired Saha and team.
5. AZB culture is quite bad
Apparently TTA was the last port of call for Saha and gave him an incredible amount of autonomy. TTA Delhi will pretty much just be G Saha Associates.

How long until MM joins him to kickstart a full service law firm?
Looool bro nobody is happy in JSA if LI comments have not already given this fact away!! MM has more autonomy than ever before in JSA because they don't have a leadership structure only, but doesn't take away from the fact that JSA is multiple lala firms in one.
Waah legally India. I am the OP and I did not use this topic of conversation. So have we started editing headings etc on our own to sensationalise and get more hits?
You're right, but not quite :) When there are several posts on the same topic, we combine them into one under a single headline (usually the headline of one of the posts). But in general, yes, we do also sometimes edit headlines for clarity or information or to summarise the gist of a post.
I think it is a smart move by AZB. The fee earners are A and Z. AR gets a flow from Z. But A and Z are the stalwarts. None of the EPs have demonstrated themselves to be rainmakers. Admittedly they are good execution partners. Nothing wrong being a good execution partner but please admit it. A and Z are simply freeing up their equity to accommodate younger partners. In a way A and Z - take a bow, you are recreating the Firm again with younger blood. That is the correct institutional model - to retire the older execution partners away. SB migrated to Trilegal with less than 30 % of his work. GS will take away another 30-40 % of his existing work. Good for him. The challenge is for all EPs in their 40s, how do you generate new relationships and not feed off old relationships and be not mere good servicing partners. CAM and SAM are faced with the same issues.
Slightly different question, how much do you think VP earns in Delhi lit, and does he run it with autonomy?
SB fact is pure tosh lol, there was only scorched earth left behind
Actually it won't be a loss, before resigning, they might have trained their juniors, seniors, etc etc and new people will take charge of that role and will continue to operate.

People are forced to resigned as they cross 45+ , so that, new people get opportunity to work in that firm and internal promotions happen.

People who resign individually or with their team, they join other law firm as a partner,which is a growing firm and they work in that firm.
Conversations suggest this is not the end of EP exits at AZB. Similar move expected in competition team with the top on the verge of moving out.