Read 26 comments as:
Filter By
A recent 12 th pass out here . I attempted CLAT this year and scored decent enough to be offered a seat at NLS. I gave JEE soon after and performed well. Expecting a seat at one of the top 10 NITs. Here comes the confusion . I am not really into engineering but the NITs boast of really good packages .Don’t know much about career prospects at NLS but it too has got a brand name . I , on the other hand, have always been interested in economics and also due to attempt CUET in the coming month, vying for a seat at ST Stephens, SRCC or Hindu. However, well wishers have warned me against the DU thingy due to lack of career opportunities . What do you guys suggest?
All of these colleges are brands.

If you're not very sure about law, I would suggest against it. It is a five year degree, that's a long part of your life to devote to something just because you got a rank. After this, you'll have to take up a job in a law firm or consider litigation. Both of these require insane hours of work. Placements are around 15-20 l or so, though may be higher for some outliers. It's definitely a good career though, if you love law.

NITs are quite good, the top ones offer great opportunities. This would probably be the best best in case you're confused, since you'll have the most versatile degree.

Stephen's and SRCC are good too. My sister who graduated this year from Stephen's was offered 20 at Bain. There was one offer for 52 lakhs, albeit from an international firm.

In short: good firms recruit from all these places because they have the social capital. What is it that you truly see yourself doing or want to do each day? Make a decision based on that. Even if you're not sure right now, all three of these paths can very well lead to an MBA or another great degree abroad.
Go for NIT any day...you can always do 3 year LLB degree from NLS later
Best route = Stephen's + IIM A B C
Second best = Top 10 NIT but only if you get CS.
Then NLS = In terms of placements, you will make as much as anybody specially when we consider in hand but the problem is law is extremely demanding and work life in engineering jobs are way way better than law. Hence, I would prefer engeneering but if you like law then it's alright to go for NLS.
Agreed. Go to Stephen's if you pass the cutoff and interview, or NITs with CS. Better campus placement than NLSIU at these colleges: to confirm you can directly message alumni (those who graduated in 2022).

If you want to go into business later, IIM ABC will be a tad easier if you have an Econ degree (and from a place like Stephen's or SRCC) instead of an engineering degree in which case you'll be a "GEM". Engineering is evergreen though and Economics pays well too. Take law only if sure about this choice: long degree + constrains later.
Very unsure if this is an actual query or a troll, but I'll choose to answer it anyway. Assuming you get into a T1 DU seat for Eco honours also, I'd advise making a decision according to:
1. What interests you as an area of study (most people I know don't have any real passion for anything at 17, it's more about what seems vaguely acceptable. The goal is that you should do well enough in college to have a good job/postgrad opportunities after it)
2. What you can conceivably see yourself doing for the next thirty years (explore different professional opportunities after each course and see what suits your fancy. Money is just one thing. But the work itself, will it be sustainable?)
3. What your general life goals are and how each course helps in achieving them.

The biggest handicap of law compared to the other two courses you have listed is that it has very low international permeability. Engineering and economics/finance are a lot more transferable and are usually on the list of preferred immigrants. Also, law (arguably) offers the worst WLB of the three. On the flip side, it can offer v lucrative financial rewards. There are people who become partners at T1 law firms by 30. Becoming a partner by 35 is common. That means earning somewhere around 1Cr (or 70L at the very least, that too taxed at a lower rate than an engineer's salary). CSE packages are very lucrative, but few engineers have such a steep progression, unless they start their own company or something.

In a nutshell, this is it. Engineers have better starting CTC. They also have better WLB throughout their lives. In law, your starting salary will be lower (presently about 14LPA, taxed at 10%). And the work hours are a lot more demanding. But the progression can be much, much faster. Economics is a very good subject with good opportunities and is internationally transferable. Most people warn against it because DU has (understandably, imo) a bad image as a centre of aimless airheads. But really can't say about what kind of life or money it offers.

I hope I didn't spend ten minutes answering a troll.
See what you like buddy. You have great options. NLS is the best you can get for law in this country especially if you want to work in firms.

If tech excites you then go for NIT, if you can code, computer science is a great field in India and abroad.

I would advise against going to du until you get Stephens or srcc, even then, I would tell you not go to there because whatever jobs you can get out of these places, you can get after an mba after one of these colleges.

Don’t just look at money, if you are doing well in any of these fields (tech, law and finance), you’ll be pretty well off.

I would also tell you to not go to a college in your city, going to another city, where you know absolutely no one, forces you to open up and meet new people.
Declined a seat at a top NIT for a top NLU. Will make the same choice today if I had to.
Take law. Join an NGO and serve the maginalised community. Life shouldnt be about money.
I know of a few friends in both NALSAR and NLS who had thrown away NIT and one even an IIT seat. I think it all depends on your interests. These people were particularly forced into engineering by their parents while their heart was always in art/subjects, so a natural marriage of that is with law and not engineering. Secondly don't let anyone confuse you, salary wise a career in top 6 law firms or top-in-house is at par with any engineer. Multiple threads on LI have debunked this notion of engineering supremacy. It is true however that work life balance is better for an engineer and so is moving abroad relatively easy. If you are in corporate an engineer may become the CEO but a GC will at max be an EVP, which is still an enviable position to be in. If you are a law firm partner and you reach equity your earnings will be as good as it can be. So it is only you who can make the correct choice judging your personal interests.
Are people here crazy? NSLIU is infinitely more prestigious than NIT or Stephen's. Only the top 3 IITs (Del, Bom, Mad) have better brand value and domestic packages. I would pick NLSIU over even IIT KGP or Kanpur. NLSIU can give you a direct pathway to working in a Magic Circle firm in London, plus there are opportunities like the Rhodes and Chevening scholarship.

You will be mad to turn down NLSIU for an NIT. Like turning down a Merc to buy a Honda City.
SOMEONE has a very inflated sense of self-importance loool. Even in T3-T4 engineering colleges, every batch, a few people manage to get packages of 12-15 and 6-7 is considered average. For all law grads, even those from beloved NLS, the maximum they can get is 16.
And, financial aid for STEM fields is FAR more plentiful than for law. Rhodes and Chevening are available for engineering grads too (Seriously if Jindal students can get them, why not NIT-Trichy?). Opportunities to work abroad are also much higher in engineering. Trichy, Warangal and Surathkal have some international placements every year. And in general, engineers are in greater demand in the international market, so transitioning after some PQE is easier.
Rubbish! An engineering degree from a good NIT can open much better career prospects than any law degree can (unless you are connected via family to earn big bucks from litigation). NLSIU is certainly the best for law now, but it does not hold a candle before a good engineering degree, which opens doors for so many more opportunities including abroad. Less than 1% of any NLSIU batch get a foreign firm offer. Check the better NIT's campus placement and compare how many foreign jobs they get on graduation.
100% agree with this comment. Please please consider NLS at least (Noojie here myself).
Yeah, listen to this fellow who has never travelled out of Naagaaraabhaaavi. Harvard of the East la 🀑
You treating NLS like an option is such a first world problem lmao. There are literally thousands wanting your place in NLS XD
Depends on what you are aiming at. Wanting to go abroad, there is nothing like an engineering degree. As a law graduate, it becomes difficult in comparison. The future is about technology. So, be cautious and speak to people. Most importantly, be clear on what you require. A law degree does not give you that international mobility. I

Another word of abundant caution: if you put in the kind of effort you would be put in at NLS after joining, you can make headlines in the tech field.
Those of you who claim NIT is better than NLSIU, name even one NIT alum who has achieved anything great. IIT over NLSIU I can understand, but NIT over NLSIU?? Compared to NIT look at NLSIU alumni:

- Tons of Rhodes scholars
- Professors at Oxford
- Partners at top firms in London and NY
- Counsel at World Bank
- Featured in TIME 100
- Two winners of Infosys Prize
- Additional Solicitor General
- Judges
- Senior Advocates
'NIT must be a terrible college not ONE of their grads has become a senior advocate', yes, very logical.

also, it'd seem you really just have terrible knowledge about anything other than your own industry. NITs come in all ranks and some NITs rank higher than mid and low tier IITs, though the calculus is complicated by branch preferences and MBA aspirations.

'name even one NIT alum who has achieved anything great' this is such a ridiculous statement even responding to it seems unnecessary. CEOs of Infosys, TCS, WIPRO are all for NITs. Someone pretty high up in the management of Citigroup, senior vp or something is from an NIT. Dean of Stanford is from Trichy. Satya Nadella went to Manipal, not even an NIT.
Go to St. Stephen’s if you want to write UPSC or do an MBA in the future. 10 people from Stephen’s got a rank under 100 in UPSC this year (without reservation).
starting career hierarchy as perceived by society

S tier - Doctor (NEET), the ultimate job you are your own boss start a clinic and start earning

A tier - IIM

B tier - Engineering (IIT), CA

C tier - Dental, NIT

D tier - Economics (banking), NLUs

rest
A 27-word comment posted 4 months ago was not published.